57 gigs of 'other'- what is it?

shrinkboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i've been on a project to get as much of my cd collection onto my 160 gig iPod classic.... thought i was doing well until i got to somewhere in the mid 90 gigs on the pod, when i got a pop up telling me that i'd run out of room. when i checked to see what storage was left, i see i have 57 gigs of 'other' on the pod.

what is it, how do i get it off? so far, i've deleted all artwork, dupes, and albums i really don't care about, which retrieved 3 gigs of usable space. now what? ideas?

I suppose you could reformat the iPod and reload the music... If you're doing everything through iTunes, the sync process is easy.

i doubt it could be 57 gigs worth, celt....

jonl- an idea i hadn't thought of; however, i was running low on storage on my puter, so i started directing new rips and downloads directly to the 'pod, rather than to my onboard HD/itunes and then to the pod. i'd lose all of that material doing that....

can you not open as storage device on pc and look through the files ?

I don't think so. iTunes is one-way only and you can not retrieve files from the iPod. Supposedly third-party software exists to do this but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Best of luck!
Roger

did that, pete. i see nothing but music files- about 3000 songs; 88.5 gigs of audio. the classic is stated at 160 gigs; itunes shows you that you have a potential of 148.75 gigs of storage, meaning that about 12 gigs is running software, but what is the 50 odd gigs of 'other'? i dont' see it when looking at the files in windows

just looked at the link; it shows how to use Sharepod, which i've already done to back up my itunes to an external HD....

"Other" files could be many things, including:
a) files itunes doesn't recognize
b) files copied from PC/Mac to iPod not using iTunes.
c) files left over when iTunes transfer crashes before finishing
d) incomplete "trashing" of files

Not doubt there are more but listed are some. Most likely you will have to completely reformat the iPod.

HTH,
Roger

she's in disc mode now, telling me to not disconnect. what's supposed to happen from there, anyone?

still needing ideas; i put the pod in disk mode, it ran that way for a while, then i restarted the 'puter with the pod connected. i'm not sure what i accomplished with the disk mode sequence. i then took it and ran everything on it to the back up HD through Sharepod. i'm thinkin' next step will be to reformat it and then reload from the HD thru Sharepod.

comments?

Back
Top Bottom