60 Ohm or 240 Ohm antenna

Luka

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on hooking up an antenna to my tuner. It is a German Uher eg750 tuner and on the back I have options for 60 or 240 ohms.

Do I really need to hunt something like that down, or will 50/300 ohm antenna work for me?

Here are some pictures of the back of the unit (not mine)
UHER-VG-850-und-UHER-EG-750-_57.jpg

tuner-uher-eg-750.jpg

Any ideas on what would work? The best I've come up with so far is a 75 ohm PAL connector dipole.

You can use a 75 Ohm or 300 Ohm antenna with only a slight decrease in antenna efficiency/effectiveness.

Are you in a low signal or high signal area? In urban areas, lots of people make attennas from a single loose wire attached to the 75 Ohm center connector (equivalent to what is in your upper picture, effectively) or from zip cord (speaker wire or AC power cord wire) with a section that is split into a T at the free end. They work pretty well even though they are not exactly matched impedance.

For the stations I listen to, I'm in a low signal area. I'm a bit out in the country right at the edge of where the station and it's repeating partner almost touch. What I've been doing is running some wires from a wall outlet (the house was built in the 60's and has a big antenna on the roof with corresponding wall outlets for TV, like cable outlets before there was cable) to my receiver and that seems to do the trick.

I haven't tried that method yet with this tuner.

TV antennas often work fine for FM. You should probably run 300 Ohm twin lead from the wall plate to your tuner.

In some cases it is useful to use an "FM splitter" to separate out the FM frequencies from the TV ones, since strong TV signals can overload the input of the tuner. It may or may not help in your case. These often convert the FM part to 75 Ohm, in which case you would have to use the 60 Ohm tuner input. I can't tell if that connector on the tuner if for an F-connector (normal 75 Ohm coax connector) or not.

Apparently "UKB" translates to "VHF." You learn something new everyday...

Back
Top Bottom