$60 well spent (Optonica SA-5601)

I was a couple towns over from my usual stomping grounds perusing the saturday garage sales (my friends looking for a cheap TT) when I spotted an unfamiliar goodwill. No TT worth speaking of, but instead I found this big old beauty. All I knew was it looked fancy and solid, a riot of shiny knobs and switches. I threw a speaker on it, got some fine sounding AM action out of it and took the plunge. :tears: (of joy)

When I got it home I opened it up real quick just to clean out the grime and was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was inside. Even more shocking is the fully functional meters and bulbs. I figure either it was living in its original box for twenty years or it was maintained by a collector of some type. How it ended up in the sunnyvale GW, I'm gonna say karmic payment for the the many good works I have done :scratch2:

All and all nearly flawless. Slight crackle in the left channel when fiddling with the speaker selector knob that I figure De-Oxit will clean up. Otherwise super smooth sailing :music:

Question for the more knowledgeable types. Each of the three speaker settings (A,B,C) has a different impedance rating (4,8,16 ohms,respectively) I use a pair of Altec Lansing Model 95s with a rating of 8 ohms. From my very crude understanding of speakers and amps, I can plug the speakers into A or B (4 or 8 ohms) but not C (16 ohms). Confirm or deny? (See picture if my description fails)

Attachments

• OPT_Front.jpg
    OPT_Front.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 162
  • OPT_Front_Left.jpg
    OPT_Front_Left.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 100
  • OPT_Front_Right.jpg
    OPT_Front_Right.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 93
  • OPT_Top.jpg
    OPT_Top.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 88
  • OPT_Interior.jpg
    OPT_Interior.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 129
  • OPT_Rear_Right.jpg
    OPT_Rear_Right.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 102
I was a couple towns over from my usual stomping grounds perusing the saturday garage sales (my friends looking for a cheap TT) when I spotted an unfamiliar goodwill. No TT worth speaking of, but instead I found this big old beauty. All I knew was it looked fancy and solid, a riot of shiny knobs and switches. I threw a speaker on it, got some fine sounding AM action out of it and took the plunge. :tears: (of joy)

When I got it home I opened it up real quick just to clean out the grime and was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was inside. Even more shocking is the fully functional meters and bulbs. I figure either it was living in its original box for twenty years or it was maintained by a collector of some type. How it ended up in the sunnyvale GW, I'm gonna say karmic payment for the the many good works I have done :scratch2:

All and all nearly flawless. Slight crackle in the left channel when fiddling with the speaker selector knob that I figure De-Oxit will clean up. Otherwise super smooth sailing :music:

Question for the more knowledgeable types. Each of the three speaker settings (A,B,C) has a different impedance rating (4,8,16 ohms,respectively) I use a pair of Altec Lansing Model 95s with a rating of 8 ohms. From my very crude understanding of speakers and amps, I can plug the speakers into A or B (4 or 8 ohms) but not C (16 ohms). Confirm or deny? (See picture if my description fails)

What a lovely receiver !!! well spotted !

You can connect your speakers to any of the outputs....but if you run 2 pairs of speakers make sure they are both 8 ohm....dont run 8 and 4 ohm speakers at the same time......no problem running a set of 4 ohm speakers on that amp tho with that big transformer !!

Back
Top Bottom