6336 amp schematics/designs needed

kctx2

Does anyone have any direct links to schematics for a 6336 amp. Please, no "do a search on" replys (not a bad attitude here, just frustrated with the never-ending searches). I have searched for hours and found only "how good so and so's" design is. I was given a couple of these tubes, and would like to experiment a bit.
Thankyou, for your time and your help,
Keith

6336 Amp issues

Look at the thread "John Day's Big Blue" for some details on ONE way of doing that. The 6336 eats a lot of curent, but dissipates 30W per plate, and has an indirectly heated structure, so no hum pot needed. I made a couple of amps with it, the Blue Magoo detailed above was the second. The 6336 is a low mu triode, lower than just about anything you'll deal with. That means it needs a lot of drive. The sides are often way unmatched, so cathode bias is wisest. Push pull designs suffer from serious offset current problems. What I found is that the sound is kind of warm and without the kind of sharp leading edge transients you get off a 6550 or 300B. You should be able to swing a clean +/- 100V from your drive stage. I used an SRPP composed of 5965s and with a 300H choke on the grid to ground in my first 6336 amp, "Iron Giant". I used a 6C45PiE "supertube" into an interstage transformer for the Blue Magoo. Both use at least some form of local negative feedback to tighten up the sound.
Personally, I still like a tighter sound than I was able to get.
Sorry, this isn't a schematic...

Hey I'm about to go around the world for a year with my family. Look at our site, www.daysabroad.com

John

Back
Top Bottom