66 Mustang malfunction

The Mustang II front suspension was pretty good as it spawned many aftermarket kits for using it on other vehicles (many non Ford) from very old to not so old!

Jumping from hot to the small S terminal will bypass the neutral safety switch. If it cranks up you've got a fault between the key and the solenoid, and besides the wire the NSS is the only part in between.
Yep. First place to start.

The story thus far:

A check of the batt shows it fully charged at 12.43v, so thats good. Bad news is still nothing upon key-turn.

Now, regarding jumping the solenoid on the fender, of which I replaced with new from my local parts-monger, not thrilled its of foreign origin, but I did keep the "Standard" made in USA old one. About that one- I can hear a rattling inside when shaken, is that a concern? Not like it's full of bb's, but def something loose in there. Now, at least one post advises to jump the two BIG frankenstein lugs, while several others say big "POS" lug to small "S" terminal.

So, are BOTH correct, or ..... I will not try until I hear back from you all.

Thanks!

The story thus far:

A check of the batt shows it fully charged at 12.43v, so thats good. Bad news is still nothing upon key-turn.

Now, regarding jumping the solenoid on the fender, of which I replaced with new from my local parts-monger, not thrilled its of foreign origin, but I did keep the "Standard" made in USA old one. About that one- I can hear a rattling inside when shaken, is that a concern? Not like it's full of bb's, but def something loose in there. Now, at least one post advises to jump the two BIG frankenstein lugs, while several others say big "POS" lug to small "S" terminal.

So, are BOTH correct, or ..... I will not try until I hear back from you all.

Thanks!
Jumping the two big posts/lugs on the solenoid WILL make the starter turn, IF the starter and the battery are good.

Jumping the big POS post/lug coming from the battery to the small S terminal WILL make the starter turn IF the starter, solenoid, and battery are all good.

Last edited:
Jumping the two big posts/lugs on the solenoid WILL make the starter turn, IF the starter and the battery are good.

Jumping the big POS post/lug coming from the battery to the small S terminal WILL make the starter turn IF the starter, solenoid, and battery are all good.

Alrighty then!

So, I jumped positive batt terminal to the "S" post of the solenoid and...vrooom!! Then off for 30 minute jaunt about town on the freshly rain-pummeled salt-free roads!

So, it looks like the neutral safety switch is indeed the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom