6800uf @42 volts Cap question- KA3500 kenwood

Foos

I received a ka3500 amp and it works but it makes a buzzing sound
when the volume is turned up and then the sound slowly cuts out and
then comes back. I opened the case and found
(2) 42V 6800uf caps that have been leaking
(badly)
I found 2 6800uf @50v at a surplus electronics shop and I will be going to radio shack for deoxit.
Is there anything else I should know about replacing them besides desoldering and soldering the new ones in?
Is there anything else I should look for and/or replace?
Thanks for any info.

Because these caps solder directly to the board, the spacing of the pins is important. If what you got will physically fit, then you're set.

Source for 6900UF @42V?

Yes I know about the polarity. Should I replace any other caps or components while I have it apart?
Thanks This Is Great Forum.

Last edited:
Desoldered the first cap and found that it is a 3 lead cap and the ones I found at a surplus store are 2 lead. Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase 2 of these or what description I would use when asking for one? Example 6800uf @ 50v 3 lead? Also what is the third lead for?
Thanks again

Look close...you'll see that the 'third lead', although soldered to the board, has a foil trace that goes nowhere. It's there for physical support only and isn't connected to a bloody thing. :)

Put the caps in that ya got...it'll be fine (unless you get the pins mixed up...then it could be a real mess).

Thanks for the info, I will solder them tomorrow and add on $50,000 to my homes fire insurance, hehe.
Foos

Foos said:
Thanks for the info, I will solder them tomorrow and add on $50,000 to my homes fire insurance, hehe.
Foos

Now that's a man who's thinking ahead :thmbsp:

Bart

Since you already have the set open, I would suggest that you replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. There may be other caps that have lost their value. To take it a step futher, you may want to replace all the electrolytics in the amp.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom