690III limit

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by edwin, Apr 12, 2018.

1. edwin

edwin Active Member

The maximum power for these speakers is 80 watts. Presently am running my M-85 volume at the halfway mark, am i driving the speakers at more than the capacity since the amp is rated at 240 watts. Thank you.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

690III limit....:idea: When you start seeing smoke. you have cross the threshold of your limit.:biggrin:

tubed likes this.
  3. avionic

I run my M-80 attenuators at min.And use common sense when playing with it. BTW The M-80/ M-85 is closer to 300 wpc than the rated WPC. The M-85 is and M-80 with all the service bulletins implimented.Only difference between the two is cosmetic.( front and rear panel )

4. edwin

edwin Active Member

Thanks for the info Dave. By the way, thank you so much for the recap on my C-85 and the caps and instructions on the M-85 . WOW never thought my system would sound this good. Next project recaps on speakers . Still delaying this project though since these still sound good. If ever, thinking of using the Jantzen crosscaps since a lot cheaper than the Mundorfs. Warmest regards.

avionic likes this.
  5. avionic

I would imagine your 690's are what.. 96db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. So they will get real loud around 5 watt or less.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. yamahafanatc

yamahafanatc New Member

I would prefer the original 690 mostly because it is 96 dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter, they are rated to 60 watts
    I don't know what it is on the 690II, but at max input of 80W on 690III you get more volume on the original, and multi-amp inputs:D
    who knows what max input and sensitivity are on the 690II?
    at some point, I want to get 690s to compare to my 670s

7. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I don't think any of my Yamaha 690 series sounded like they were rated 96db.
    That's pretty high, imo.

8. yamahafanatc

yamahafanatc New Member

im an idiot... it says right in my book...
    670 96 dB 6.3 watt
    690 96 dB 4 watt

tubed likes this.
  9. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Don't be so hard on yourself:whip:
    I'm just saying the 12" 3-way 690 didn't seem act any more or less sensitive than the 12" 3-way 90db 690II's or even the 90db NS-1000.
    Thus my surprise they were rated 96;)

10. yamahafanatc

yamahafanatc New Member

yeah, i was very impressed too...was suprised that they were the "best" yamaha every made:rflmao:

11. 808_state

808_state Well-Known Member

I run my NS-690 mk1's with a JPN domestic B-5. I keep the attenuators typically at 7 and it sounds good to my ears. They don't seem to be overloaded and the boost in power going from a CA-800 to an AX-900U and then to the B-5 seemed to only
    improve the sound. I also never really push them it's mainly a bedroom setup for moderate volume. I actually have an M-85 sitting right next to the B-5 but don't use it much at the moment.