6AN8 Subs

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by jaymanaa, May 15, 2018 at 11:29 AM.

1. jaymanaa

jaymanaa AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is there a super premium substitute for the 6AN8. I wouldn't even mind a wiring change if need be. Would prefer something with gold pins.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. peterh

peterh AK Subscriber Subscriber

How about a "new" 6an8a ? There is no real shortage of them ....

Are you seeking a tube with other properties ? If so what ?

3. jaymanaa

jaymanaa AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just a better than RCA or GE tube. Don't see any older Mullards or Teles in this number.

4. peterh

peterh AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't think phillips or telefunken ever made 6an8.
    They did make ecf82 ( 6u8 ) and ecf80 ( 6bl8) but these are disjoint 6an8 in pins and properties.

5. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I have a set of Sylvania and a set of RCA. RCA are in use, the Sylvania are backups. Frankly I can't hear a bit of difference between them. The Sylvania were NOS with Philco branding and boxes, the RCA were also NOS. $cheap, which is nice.

6. Big Harry

Big Harry Active Member

6AN8's are plentiful and relatively cheap. If I remember correctly they were designed for TV use which is why there aren't any European versions to be found. I find them at swap meets for a buck or 2 and they can be bought from on line vendors for 5 or 6 dollars. I've never heard any difference in sound from one brand to another.

7. arts

arts Super Member

I'm thinking that the only 6AN8 you will get with gold pins will be one of these:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Bill Ferris and UncleBingo like this.
  8. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bet you're right, Art! I only have one of these, a 7189A that is a Mullard Blackburn re-label. Still good, so I haven't tried to turn it in for a replacement. Wait--they RadioShack is now defunct.....

9. arts

arts Super Member

I may have indirectly contributed to their eventual demise; I have no idea how many tubes I exchanged under their ''Lifetime'' warranty when I was a kid,but it would certainly have put a serious dent in their revenues:biggrin:

UncleBingo likes this.
  10. buglegirl

buglegirl In The Direction Of The Singularity Subscriber

Jay,

With a little "Fiddling Around" you can sub a ECF82 and the Siemens are usually gold pin.

And there are a lot of 6U8 premium tubes out there. (Needs Rewiring Also)

Look for Sylvania GB-1252's if you want something special

Frannie

11. x3workshop

x3workshop AK Subscriber Subscriber

My issue with 6AN8's is that they can be noisy buggers. Best I've found are the realistic ones. Go figure.

Bill Ferris likes this.

12. CZ4A

CZ4A Active Member

Some GE 6AN8As were marked "Made in Gt Britain." I don't know who the OEM was - Mullard used "Made in Gt Britain" on tubes they made but there are no Philips codes on the glass. I can't tell you how they sound, since I'm using them in a Tektronix oscilloscope I'm reviving.

13. arts

arts Super Member

Ha,that's funny! I also have an old Tek that uses 6AN8's:)

14. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I'm using GE 6AN8's as drivers in my Sansui 1000A. Have had them in it since mid 2010 and they are as quiet as a friggin tomb! Got them from Jim McShane. And they sound pretty damned good compared to the matsushita's that were originally in it.

15. TerrySmith

TerrySmith Active Member

There are two "premium" pentode - triode tubes I know of is the Sylvania 7687 and the European E80CF. The 7687 was supposed to be a 7199 killer and the E80CF was a uprated 6BL8. Both are plug & pray if you have a 6GH8 pinout.

The 6AN8 is a great sounding tube and there were JAN military out there too.

16. primosounds

primosounds Parallel single ended EL84 ,EDCOR OPT

Hi Terry, is the 7687 a drop in replacement for the 7199 or does it require a rewire of the socket?
    PS , you still driving that corvair? I miss my corsa, but it practically rusted as i looked at it.

17. TerrySmith

TerrySmith Active Member

The 7687 is the same pinout as the 6GH8, as far as I know the 7199 is all by itself.

I sold the Corvair a couple years ago, now I have a low mileage original '95 Impala SS.