6L6SE guitar amp project...

Saw that thread when it was originally posted,,, seems you need to add state taxes, and shipping/postage along with order payment... not quite sure how to accurately do that, as they determine shipping method... guess they have a CS dept that could explain the procedure... I'll probably wait til I have a more substantial Mouser order...

It's pretty straightforward. They do collect sales tax but you do not pay shipping. Here are the relevant clauses, which are listed under Terms and Conditons on their website:

6. Shipping Charges. Except as otherwise provided on the Site, (1) shipping or freight charges and insurance will be paid by the customer*

* When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to all addresses in the U.S. and Canada.

Digi-Key charges sales tax unless you have a valid sales tax exemption certificate on file with Digi-Key.

Just mail them a letter with your parts order and a check or money order. Add whatever your local sales tax would be to the cost of the order. I always include the following phrase: I understand the shipping is free since I am paying by check, which is enclosed.

Obviously, ordering online is a bit faster. This adds whatever time it takes for them to get your letter. My most recent order was shipped using FedEx.

Hmmm, OK I read someplace you need to provide a stamp?? which I guess I mistook for shipping... Not sure what the stamp is for then

Figured out how to navigate and print the small order,, added the notes you mentioned on the printout,,, just need to secure their mailing address, write a check, and we'll see how it goes,,, Thanks for the input... This could be a work around for a small order, which would be way less than economy shipping...

Figured out how to navigate and print the small order,, added the notes you mentioned on the printout,,, just need to secure their mailing address, write a check, and we'll see how it goes,,, Thanks for the input... This could be a work around for a small order, which would be way less than economy shipping...

701 Brooks Avenue South,Thief River Falls, MN 56701

Yeah, this is a real money saver. I use it regularly on orders of all sizes.

Yep,,, thanks again,,, at 8 bux minimum an order,, Mouser can add up, but they are one of the best service companies you will ever deal with!... Took a while to get thru Digi website, but it works OK... I didn't register/open an account with them, is it necessary if you use mail order? I can call them tomorrow and ask, I guess...

I don't think it's necessary to open an account although I do have a customer number. I think an account is different, probably geared towards businesses that order regularly and want credit or want to be billed and pay their invoice monthly.

I also use Mouser occasionally. Sometimes they carry items and brands that aren't available from Digi-Key. They're excellent too but you can't beat the free shipping and no minimum order policy at Digi-Key. Antique Electric is another good source - especially for guitar amp parts.

I built a similar amp a while back but a friend was supposed to build a cabinet for it and she's been too busy with work so it's kind of in limbo. I play bass, not guitar, so I still haven't heard it properly. It's tube rectified using a 6BY5 with a 12AX7 input tube and I'm using a 1625 for the output.

Sometimes Digikey's filtering I find to be better, depends what you need. I like it better when I need to find caps of a specific physical size for example.

Any time I put in an order, the $3 worth of stuff I need always ends up at a C-note once I add in all the other stuff I remember I need for re-stocking purposes.

I called Digi this morning, confirmed the procedure, and mailed the order... She made an acct for me as we spoke,,, sounds like a fine company, Mouser is A+, in my experience, I used them in business over the years, so I had an acct...
I found Mouser is cheaper on most of the parts I just ordered, but it was less than a 4buck order that would have cost 12bux from Mouser...
Look up the git amps I built, 2 Champ clones,,, a Rick B9A clone,, a Supro 1624,, and this Super Champ amp... The cabs are built out of 100 YO white pine from an old house we rehabbed...
I expect this Digi order to be handled well,,, got a good feeling talking with them,,, Thanks for help, the info you posted was spot on... I'll post the results when the order arrives,, maybe others will follow...

Pics of Supro and Rick in progress...

Attachments

• P9230030.JPG
    P9230030.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P9240004.JPG
    P9240004.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 22
  • P2020037.JPG
    P2020037.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PB200002.JPG
    PB200002.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 23
Little more progress,,, waiting on Digi-Key order...

Attachments

• P7260178.JPG
    P7260178.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P7260179.JPG
    P7260179.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 15
Seem to be,,, free shipping is definitely a plus... Mouser seems to be cheapest on stuff I use, but it would take a pretty substantial order to get past their 8 buck minimum shipping... AES has pretty good parts available also, but I don't order enough to take advantage of their free shipping either...
Hope Digi-Key works out, fits my parts needs well!!!

Last edited:
Whacked together a little box to hold this amp when its not in the Champ box...Figure it can be used with separate speaker cabinets... Got it clamped together for fitting... killing time til the Digi order arrives...
Merry Christmas !!!

Attachments

• P7310189.JPG
    P7310189.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
Glad ya like it!!!! just a little Christmas shop work!!! Then I spent the afternoon fixing the drum bushings in the dryer!!!!
Happy holidays to all!!!!

Ya, seeing it finished now I have to build a cabinet for mine. That turned out great John. I tested my transformer under a load and found a winding shorted. I remember that amp going dead years ago but thought it was just a bad rectifier. It tested shorted. I ordered a new trany. It was pretty cheap actually.

That's too bad,,, glad you were able to find one tho,,, I have some PTs,,, let me know next time ya need one,,, unless its cheaper to find one near by than shipping it cross country!
I need the Digi order to finish mine,,, may take a week or more,,,, guess I can't find shipping info on a mail order!!!

That's too bad,,, glad you were able to find one tho,,, I have some PTs,,, let me know next time ya need one,,, unless its cheaper to find one near by than shipping it cross country!
I need the Digi order to finish mine,,, may take a week or more,,,, guess I can't find shipping info on a mail order!!!
I hate those orders when you are missing just one or a couple parts. I found I was missing a .003uf cap that goes between the pots. So I ordered some various orange drop coupling caps too. Oh well. The power trany comes from a company not to far from me. It was cheap and very little shipping.
Oh ya, what did you use to get that blue stained finish on that cab you built?

HA,, I missed that .003 cap also,,, one of the reasons for the Digi mail order, the free shipping won me over!!! Now I find I forgot the 100uf/50v cap!!! and Radio Shack is gone around here,,,
That "blue stain",,, think I spelled it out in the build thread,,, I had a partial can of blue spray paint that wouldn't spray, so I put it in a bucket, punctured the can, strained the paint and cut it with gasoline til it was just translucent enough to show the grain... Came out just as planned!!!! Didn't even need a clear coat...

Just got tracking info from Digi!!! this may be my new ordering method,, look into it...

HA,, I missed that .003 cap also,,, one of the reasons for the Digi mail order, the free shipping won me over!!! Now I find I forgot the 100uf/50v cap!!! and Radio Shack is gone around here,,,
That "blue stain",,, think I spelled it out in the build thread,,, I had a partial can of blue spray paint that wouldn't spray, so I put it in a bucket, punctured the can, strained the paint and cut it with gasoline til it was just translucent enough to show the grain... Came out just as planned!!!! Didn't even need a clear coat...

Just got tracking info from Digi!!! this may be my new ordering method,, look into it...
Thanks. I may try cutting some paint like that. Maybe not gasoline though. :D I could not find the turret boards I had. I found a 14" fiberglass board with eyes instead of posts. Even a row down the center so I'll use it instead.

Back
Top Bottom