6L6SE guitar amp project...

Well, gasoline was what my grandpop/uncles used back in the day!!!! But then there was lead paint and lead in the gas,,, and at 20cents a gallon,,, good old days!!! I can't guarantee your results if ya mess with the recipe!!!!!!
I find these turret boards in old military stuff at hamfests,,, they give it away... Just takes a little disassemble time... I like to use vintage parts for vintage clones/projects... I'm sure a modern glas board will work well, probably stronger...

Your a workin man,,, big bux coming in!!! gas is cheap!!! Coleman fuel is like Naptha, no?

Maybe the additives give it the color, who knows!!!!! I did mix spray green with spray red to get the Brown on the Rick amp,,, put semi gloss poly on that one tho...
I found spray paint works better than can paint, much thinner to start with, maybe different chems also??? Don't really know, but the amp came out like I wanted it to,,, almost stock tolex color.,,

Last edited:
Spray paint tends to have lots of solvent to begin with to speed up drying time. Also if too thick it would probably just spit out of the nozzle.

Yep,,, it was the color I needed, but wouldn't spray ..... so, we fixed it!!! Hows your amp coming?
I just fitted the handle to the box,, Digi-Key tracking says parts come on Monday!!!!

No. I'll have to make a trip to the local hardware store and buy a board. I used up what I had left to build a mantel for the fireplace.

Cool,,, I used a piece of 5/8" plywood,,, no need for old white pine, its just a box for the amp, not a sound cabinet... I

I may use some Poplar. It's cheap and has that greenish tint. I used some with a cool grain pattern for my mantle and faced it with dark walnut. It made for a really nice contrast.

My uncle used naptha in the watch cleaning machine... gas doesn't smell in the paint, but I mixed it outside..

Chassis is screwed to the cabinet from the inside, top and sides,,, there is a couple inches below the tube....

Midwest storms have Digi shipping delayed from Monday to Thurs... Guess this project will be on hold a little longer!

John, I found it almost amazing that it was so quiet in your prototype layout. Im waiting to see if it's just as quiet after transferring to the turret boards. I've built a few amps and my PTP star grounded amps were quieter than the turret board builds. I struggle with the turret board grounding schemes for some reason.
Been enjoying following your build.
Jef

Putting it in a metal box and minding the leads has a lot to do with it... I have a heavy buss bar ground in the new chassis, as on the board, which probably helps, also,,, I only used one shielded cable on the mock up, but if I need to, all the signal path will get shielded... I built a phono amp that's been on an open plywood board for a couple years,,, its in my main record system... This wiring scheme has worked in other amp clones, one of them is pictured in this thread...

Last edited:
Digi-Key came thru with the parts Wednesday, finally got a chance to install them this afternoon,,, glad to say it fired up in its new chassis first try!!! Playing Neil Young thru a CDP and passive preamp to attenuate the input... Darn thing is quiet even without the preamp pins 1 grounded... Still have some house keeping to do, and B+ is a tad high, but it looks/sounds promising... I'll put a few hours on it on the variac before changing PS resistors...
The VC pot is squirrelly tho,,, seems to be off in the center and adjusts volume towards each end... Guess I'll have to fish the cans for another 500K A pot!!
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread,,, the Digi free shipping advice will be passed on to future builds!!!!!

Attachments

• P8100207.JPG
    P8100207.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P8100208.JPG
    P8100208.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom