6moons reviews Modwright's tube-modified Oppo 105 universal player.

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
This is an interesting read. I particularly like that the separate power supply is tube rectified. Not only that, but you can use a large 5U4G tube for the job as an upgrade, and according to the review it makes a big difference. The overall aesthetics and especially displays on the Oppo 95/103/105 series have never appealed to me at all, but IMO this player looks a lot nicer with two tubes sticking out the top of it!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright11/1.html

This looks very good as is.

I'd also like to see if NuForce does anything with the 105.
I have a NuForce /Oppo BDP-83 and would like to be able to have the kids access NetFlix from the home theater system. So, I've been watching and waiting. I was very pleased with the Nuforce 83. It compared favorably to a Lexicon RT-20.

Last edited:
Given the popularity of the Oppo I'm a little surprised it's taken so long for anyone to comment on this. :)

As a long year fan of Mr. Fikus and his Lampizator.eu I'm a fan of such projects. And I must say I am impressed with the quality of work done to the OPPO by ModWright. Good job, I wouldn't mind owning one.

Thanks for sharing Mr. Lin. :thmbsp:

My pleasure. I too am impressed with the way he went all out modding this thing, and it's obviously a worthy platform. Of course the last thing I need is another hi-fi CD player so it's not something I'm personally considering, but I still like to read about these things.

Nice to see these cool mods being done. The end results seems a little more warm, lushy and tubey for me. Sounds like it gives up more dynamics than I would prefer. I really love speed and agility in my gear.

Back
Top Bottom