1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

7 inch reel replacements

Discussion in 'Tape' started by ConfuciusSay, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ConfuciusSay

ConfuciusSay AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a bunch of prerecorded reels with less than perfect reels that cause the tape to scrape against the side occasionally. I’d like to transfer them to new plastic reels to protect them. Are there any that are recommended or should be avoided? Most of them are operas by the way so I need them to have smaller hubs. I saw some new production reels online but I’m not sure I can link them without breaking rules.

Thanks for any information - I’m more of a vinyl guy and feel lost with tape most of the time!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. embrown057

embrown057 Active Member

US Recording is a good source, more expensive than EBay but you will get a quality reel. Are all your reel that warped or having a problem with reel table alignment?

3. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

+1 on USR.

4. ConfuciusSay

Thanks guys will check that out. A reasonable question - I’m pretty sure that it is the reel itself because the majority play fine and I can look down the reel and see that it is no longer perfectly straight. Again kind of a newbie with reel so anything’s possible!

5. ConfuciusSay

I see plastic reels that come in a set of 2 for 20 but are out of stock/production. Any old or new old stock that are strong contenders?

6. dhnash

dhnash Well-Known Member

ConfuciusSay likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. quiberon

quiberon New Member

8. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

If the tapes rub on one side, on one reel table, feed or take up you might be able to adjust the reel table height to stop the problem. Ideally, the reel tables will pack the tape in the center of the space and this is easy to check on the take up reel, a bit harder on the payout reel. Tables can be adjusted but if there is an arm with a tape channel in it, it may have been moved from proper alignment. Just stuff to consider but you did say your old reels weren't in good shape.

ConfuciusSay likes this.
  9. Skylab

Skylab Altimeter reading zero Subscriber

How many do you need? I can send you quite a few for free if you just pay for shipping.

10. ConfuciusSay

Wow that is very very nice - will pm!