'70 Zenith Console Record Player A923

coppercitymt

Picked up this 1970 Zenith Console the other day I know these type of console are not well respected or liked but I could not let it go to the land fill. Works well and sounds good. No problems fits well in my room and even came with all the paper work such as the hang tag, owners manual and inspection tags. Has tape in that plays nice with a CD player. Higher end speaker system two 12's and 2 horns and 2 tweeters. :banana:

Attachments

• P101000.JPG
    P101000.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I know these type of console are not well respected or liked . . .
Compared to what?

Most of the full-size consoles through, say 1972 or 3, were at least decent. They weren't exactly cheap at the time -- if you wanted the cabinet to be presentable, you were spending some money, so the insides were usually pretty decent as well. The changers might still have ceramic carts, but they had nice enough amps for the most part.

I do a lot of repairs (house calls) on these kinds of units. if you refurb the changer and recap the receiver/amp, they can sound pretty awesome and lush.

Nice. I always figured, if I got one, I would probably rip out and replace the ceramic cart/record changer with a nicer TT and magnetic cart and phono pre, but keep everything else intact. Probably easier on my records, and better sound to boot through the lush amp/speakers

I've got a 1970 Magnavox that was in my grandfather's living room since new. A few years ago I got the TT working after a week long struggle and searching for a stylus and the motor burned out the day I finished it. I'm planning on rebuilding it totally next year or so. I know what you mean by not liked, half the time you can't give them away, probably just the size. Mine has styrofoam speaker cabinets.

Love it! My grandparents used to have one similar in the 1950s - probably not very good soundwise but it looked fantastic. I used to play my dad's old Little Richard 78's on it, that he left behind there when he moved out.

Last edited:
This Ceramic cartridge you have tracks at 2 grams, with a good unworn needle it is gentle on records. The changer here is a VM made Zenith Micro-Touch. It is worth servicing and keeping. It is no piece of junk in any way. It is very excellent by the way in nice order. Keep this US made classic original, it is a classic.

Thanks for all the comments, nice to see it has some respect still, I was talking about 60's era tube console, but in my opinion a solid state rig is just better for your daily driver.

I agree I think they still made good console up until '72 '73. This Zenith has press board sides and bottom but the rest is all solid wood.

I am waiting on new needle for the turntable, the automatic parts seem to work well. So maybe just leave it alone for the time being.

As for the caps it works and sounds so good, I am kind of the one for it's not showing any signs of problems why rip it apart and fix it?

I think they are cool!

I have been looking for one to restore/upgrade. There is one just like yours near me for $100

Jon

Thanks for all the comments, nice to see it has some respect still, I was talking about 60's era tube console, but in my opinion a solid state rig is just better for your daily driver.

I agree I think they still made good console up until '72 '73. This Zenith has press board sides and bottom but the rest is all solid wood.

I am waiting on new needle for the turntable, the automatic parts seem to work well. So maybe just leave it alone for the time being.

As for the caps it works and sounds so good, I am kind of the one for it's not showing any signs of problems why rip it apart and fix it?
Yeah! Great stuff! Just getting into myself. Picked up same model from estate sale $20.00. Played o.k for a couple hundred plays and stylus broke.
Replaced with new from turntableneedles, low volume (almost 0 volume)........Help!! what next? Thanks, JJ

Picked up this 1970 Zenith Console the other day I know these type of console are not well respected or liked but I could not let it go to the land fill. Works well and sounds good. No problems fits well in my room and even came with all the paper work such as the hang tag, owners manual and inspection tags. Has tape in that plays nice with a CD player. Higher end speaker system two 12's and 2 horns and 2 tweeters. :banana:
Nice looking unit. Have the exact same one. Having some trouble fixing!

Back
Top Bottom