'79/'80 Service Merchandise Catalog - Pioneer Pricing.

62caddy

Trust but verify
Subscriber
Thought the Pioneer fans would enjoy this. Ah the good old days...

s-l1600.jpg

Later on they were discounted a lot further. 1979 was when this line was first introduced.

I recall once seeing the SX780 on sale for under $200; the SX1280 could be had in the mid $500 range just before discontinued in 1980 or 1981.

I remember drooling over the equipment in Mom's Service Merchandise catalog. Our family made a lot of purchases from them.

62caddy - Can you post what the price was for the SX-680? I don't see it on this page in the catalog - maybe on another page? I picked one up for $20 at a yard sale last year - had it cleaned up and renovated (a few cold solder joints,etc.) for $40 and it now sounds great. Just wanted to see the going rate when it was new - thanks.

Obviously, retail pricing on these units from Service Merchandise. Stereo stores, retail, not warehouses might charge a bit more and then give discounts based on a system purchase. I have a receipt from such a store for an SA-9500 that was purchased alone at MSRP.

Pioneer was generally available for 70% of retail at the discount warehouses and this for the SX-1280 was $950 List, $665 warehouse pricing and $749 Service Merch Price. Warehouse price is calculated.

Let's to the SX-1050 and the SX-5580 Black/Silver® version available in the PX/BX system. Retail was $750, 70% is $525, easily warehouse purchased for this, District Sound Warehouse had them for $478 in their catalog in 1977. I have a receipt for the purchase of the SX-5580 I have from the PX and the selling price was...$353.10 no sh!t, just 350 bucks for a Pioneer SX-5580, a great looking multi-voltage version of the SX-1050, that was a deal. No wonder so many GIs hauled home big rigs back then.

@jt01, the SX-680 had a list price of $300, you can pick a price point from the above data and be happy with the adjusted for inflation price of that receiver since yours was well bought, nicely repaired and sounds great.

Don't need a catalog - still got the original receipts on most of my equipment ... <G>

I remember being hired (maybe HS around '79) by SM to do a seasonal inventory. (a one night thing under supervision of manager and staff of store. I'm sure i was friends with someone in the store hierarchy but at a loss to tell you who now,) If only i knew then what i know now. They could of showed 1 less:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom