'79/'80 Service Merchandise Catalog - Pioneer Pricing.

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by 62caddy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Thought the Pioneer fans would enjoy this. Ah the good old days...

[​IMG]

Dale A B likes this.
  2. Mr.Jim

Mr.Jim President of nothing Subscriber

I'll take 2 of the 1280's at $749 each please.

3. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Later on they were discounted a lot further. 1979 was when this line was first introduced.

I recall once seeing the SX780 on sale for under $200; the SX1280 could be had in the mid $500 range just before discontinued in 1980 or 1981.

4. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I remember drooling over the equipment in Mom's Service Merchandise catalog. Our family made a lot of purchases from them.

5. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. jt01

jt01 Active Member

62caddy - Can you post what the price was for the SX-680? I don't see it on this page in the catalog - maybe on another page? I picked one up for $20 at a yard sale last year - had it cleaned up and renovated (a few cold solder joints,etc.) for $40 and it now sounds great. Just wanted to see the going rate when it was new - thanks.

7. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Obviously, retail pricing on these units from Service Merchandise. Stereo stores, retail, not warehouses might charge a bit more and then give discounts based on a system purchase. I have a receipt from such a store for an SA-9500 that was purchased alone at MSRP.

Pioneer was generally available for 70% of retail at the discount warehouses and this for the SX-1280 was $950 List, $665 warehouse pricing and $749 Service Merch Price. Warehouse price is calculated.

Let's to the SX-1050 and the SX-5580 Black/Silver® version available in the PX/BX system. Retail was $750, 70% is $525, easily warehouse purchased for this, District Sound Warehouse had them for $478 in their catalog in 1977. I have a receipt for the purchase of the SX-5580 I have from the PX and the selling price was...$353.10 no sh!t, just 350 bucks for a Pioneer SX-5580, a great looking multi-voltage version of the SX-1050, that was a deal. No wonder so many GIs hauled home big rigs back then.

@jt01, the SX-680 had a list price of $300, you can pick a price point from the above data and be happy with the adjusted for inflation price of that receiver since yours was well bought, nicely repaired and sounds great.

8. kreichenbach

kreichenbach AK Subscriber Subscriber

Neat! I have the AAR40!

9. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Don't need a catalog - still got the original receipts on most of my equipment ... <G>

10. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I remember being hired (maybe HS around '79) by SM to do a seasonal inventory. (a one night thing under supervision of manager and staff of store. I'm sure i was friends with someone in the store hierarchy but at a loss to tell you who now,) If only i knew then what i know now. They could of showed 1 less:rolleyes: