800B - 2 unknown symbols on AM radio dial. What are they for?

I remember these marked on my parents' Zenith console stereo. The earliest evolution of what was then the Emergency Broadcast System and, lately, the Emergency Alert System (with those annoying dual-tone tests you hear every now and then).

Sewage in the ditch is ALWAYS preferable to a Thermonuclear Sunburn! You say New clear, and W says NEWK U LAR! Hell, it's all Ionizing radiation, no matter how you pronounce it!

I remember when the CONELRAD symbols first appeared on AM radio dials. The government had paid advertisements on TV and on the radio describing the system and the purpose of the symbols on the dial. We had neighbors who put a fallout shelter under their home during the Cuban missile crisis. We were all taught the "duck and cover" moves in class at school. I doubt it would have really done much for any of us if a nuclear bomb had exploded anywhere near us though.

Joe

They tested the system in Chicago many years ago where all stations stopped broadcasting and shut down only leaving the Conelrad system. It was only for a few minutes and the Conelrad system barely worked. I think one station was in Michigan across the lake but I know nothing about the other station. The station broadcast what you would expect as a safety warning but the signal kept fading in and out. The test was done during the day and good reception was not there.
That's all I remember.

We had the same test in Detroit. The 2 Conelrad frequencies had different transmitters from the various local stations on those frequencies, switching maybe every 5 seconds.

Thanks. Interesting stuff. In addition to the 800B, these CONELRAD markings are still present on the early 1962 Fisher 800Cs found in the Executive consoles (see video below). Later 800Cs expunged the CONELRAD markings. I guess this was phased out around 1963.

Monk; The 10001-19999 series was reserved for the 1963 model year (Sept 1962-Aug 1963) Executive console only. All had the Conelrad markings. The concurrent 1963 20001-29999 standalone series also had the markings. Beginning with the 1964 30001-39999 series (both Executive and standalone) the Conelrad marking's were deleted. The 1964 Executive and standalones both used the 30001-39999 series interchangeably. It is possible that there are some late 20001-29999 series that do not have the Conelrad markings due to part stocking. This also goes for the late 10001-19999 1963 Executive's.

I also have triangles on the dial face of the radio in the '57 Cadillac. Pretty much standard on all AM radios of the period.

MY 63 Impala radio (AM) had the Conelrad Markings. As did all of the pre '64 Fords (all Falcons') I owned. And the 62 Rambler. But any newer cars than the impala Impala didn't.

I remember the Civil Defense sirens in BaltimoreCity, going off once a week on monday @ 1pm up thru the early to mid 80's. They stopped sometime around '85. You could set your clock by the siren.

I actually don't have a great number of things with the CD markings. A lot of my stuff pre-dates it.

Those who know what the markings are for, versus those who are not familiar with them kinda separates the men from the young whipper-snappers! :)

Dave

I'm just coming up on 39, and I remember the very end of the air raid drills. It was always considered kind of ridiculous in my town, we were within 10 miles of one of Ma Bell's main long-distance switching stations, which had a secure lower level for the military long-distance phone lines. If the nukes had started flying, we were going to be pan-fried in the first wave.

Back
Top Bottom