800B and 500B LED festoon replacement sources?

monkboughtlunch

Found this great info from audiodon on a thread from 2010. I don't know if folks eventually found a solution, but basically audiodon observed the 800B and 500B festoon lamps appear to be a different size than the later festoons for the 400, 500C and 800C.

Has anyone found a drop in correctly sized LED festoon replacement vendor for the 800B or 500B? I know there are tons of LED festoons available for the 400, 500C and 800C. I can't find any for the 800B.

If anyone knows of a source, please share where to find them.

Thanks!

I recently did some scavenging amongst the bones of an old 500-B for festoons. A fellow AKer wanted some for his 500-B and my 500-B carcass was a suitable donor. The 500-B and 800-B are siblings, having been built by Fisher about the same time. I made a discovery while digging for festoons that may affect your choice.

The discovery is that the diameter of the festoon was different than the diameter of the festoons in the later 500 and 800-C series and the 400 receivers.

You might end up having to solder extensions on to the shorter festoon or fuse type. It's covered up with the face plate so who's gonna know besides you.

There's a seller on eBay I bought from. Will you get his name tonight.

Edit: Sellers name is "qua-co"

Last edited:
Last edited:
400-500c-and 800c will interchange. Then you get into the console stuff that is either longer than the 500b or shorter than the 400 lamps. Commonality in lamps would have been a small miracle here.

For posterity, I've carefully measured the dimensions of the original Fisher tungsten bulbs found in a 400 and 800B.

In examining the metal tips of each OEM bulb sample, I noticed that the circa 1962 800B bulb was made in Germany. The circa 1966 400 bulb was made in Japan. Both have 6.3v 2w stamped on the metal tip.

I bet that Fisher made a purchasing decision circa 1962/1963 to change suppliers from a German bulb manufacturer to Japanese one when they introduced the 400, 500C and 800C, hence the variation in bulb sizes in Fisher receivers pre and post 1962/1963.

Regardless of what 1961-1966 receiver you have, I have found some LEDs that may work for you from eBay vendor QUA-CO AUDIO. A couple of years ago, I bought some white LEDs for my 400 from this vendor and can confirm they work great.

OEM bulb sizes and potential LED replacement options (remember to select 6.3VAC):
(Disclaimer: Not sure if lamp socket sizes changed during production runs.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom