80's -90's CDs

dfunghi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a few boxes of stuff I stopped listening to years ago and have been going through it all.

A few surprises and wonder why I stopped (other than it sounds "dated", odd coming for a guy that listens to 40's jazz)

Back in late 90's early 00's I would raid the used CD bins near work since many music industry folks were near there (UMG, MTV to name two) so promos were cheap and plentiful.

A couple happy surprises so far:
Lloyd Cole, Bryan Ferry (although I still listen to a couple Roxy LPs), Orbital, William Orbit, Morcheeba and the list is growing.

A couple things I knew I would still like:
Portishead, Mazzy Star.

The good news / bad news is there is no real value tied up in these so not worth sorting to sell but OTH people can buy this stuff cheap (not an offer to sell, just an FYI for those looking) and it still beats streaming IMO.

It's nice to go back a bit in time and rediscover music.

Have you thought about ripping that CD collection, adding a PC or NAS to store the library and getting a DAC to start listening to it again? It's an awesome way to mix it up and listen to a lot of different stuff without having to handle the media all the time.

It's nice to go back a bit in time and rediscover music.

Have you thought about ripping that CD collection, adding a PC or NAS to store the library and getting a DAC to start listening to it again? It's an awesome way to mix it up and listen to a lot of different stuff without having to handle the media all the time.

Yes I have "thought about it" but have yet to move on it. That is so many hours of DL'ing music to a HD. But maybe if I am home for a week and not feeling well enough to do anything I could do that. I have a 2TB portable HD sitting here empty I bought to put media on but never did.

I did mine a bit at a time. I had re-created my vinyl collection on CD in the 90's plus added more as new stuff came out so I had a lot to rip.

So ripping them wasn't going to be a chore to be done in a week. I started and kept at it as time allowed. You know...an hour here, an hour there, maybe a weekend afternoon when the weather wasn't conducive to outdoor fun. My CD/DVD auxiliary drive will rip a 10 - 12 track CD, and capture the metadata for the album and each track, in about 4 - 5 minutes max.

It also gave me a chance to high grade the collection. As it was I ended up ripping almost 2000 CDs.

Bottom line for me was I got back my music collection, am able to mix and match to my heart's content and not have to chase back and forth to the CD player anymore.

Yeah some of the 80's & 90's material aged pretty well. I'm actually getting into Nine Inch Nails now all the gothic imagery nonsense has worn off. Reznor's work holds up very well and I'm building up a back catalogue.

William Orbit :thumbsup:. His Strange Cargo album is one of my favourites, as well as his Ray of Light album featuring Madonna. :D

OK..... I successfully transferred all 800+ iTunes songs onto a 1TB portable drive I had sitting here (thought it was 2 but it was 1). To be sure it worked I plugged it in a separate MAC and accessed it on there.

Now I just need to load a few thousand more songs...... about 400 CDs and 2200 LPs.

When I was a kid (under 12) we had "summer jobs". I worked at beach raking sand and checking for passes to park. I also mowed lawns of course. We also went fishing and crabbing selling everything form frozen minnows (bait) to fresh Bluefish (snappers mostly) to live Blue Claw Crabs by the pail full.

So maybe today's version of a summer job for a kid would be to come to my house every day for a couple hours and DL my music for me? Of course kids today do not seem to need / have summer jobs for some reason.

The song "Manic" by Colourbox from their self-titled 1985 album features a guitar solo by William Orbit that he literally phoned in . This is likely the most-played CD in my collection, remaining a favorite for over three decades now. Colourbox are probably best known for being half of the M|A|R|R|S collaboration.

Back
Top Bottom