80's Technics Integrated Amps

Hi, I am considering buying one abroad if I have to, I have stumbled across the a3000 is this superior to the A2000?

Thank you in advance

My son was given a clean, seldom used Technics system built around the SU-V96 integrated amp. Matching tuner, EQ, CD cartridge player, dual cassette deck, turntable and remote. The original owner only used it a few times when new. He claimed the amp stopped working when he tried to connect a mic to it. My son brought the amp over for me to look at today. Its on my bench but I haven't looked inside yet. I did notice one jumper between the amp in and pre out (+) was missing. The Sevice manual I found wasn't clear enough to really read though. It has a single dual power pack and cooling tube? Also a cooling fan. I'm hoping it's just the jumper. Any other info on the V96? Are there any power packs available that aren't fakes if I need one?

Hi, I am considering buying one abroad if I have to, I have stumbled across the a3000 is this superior to the A2000?

Thank you in advance

There’s not a lot in it... they’re both on the same page overall... but gives you more options on the market

My son was given a clean, seldom used Technics system built around the SU-V96 integrated amp. Matching tuner, EQ, CD cartridge player, dual cassette deck, turntable and remote. The original owner only used it a few times when new. He claimed the amp stopped working when he tried to connect a mic to it. My son brought the amp over for me to look at today. Its on my bench but I haven't looked inside yet. I did notice one jumper between the amp in and pre out (+) was missing. The Sevice manual I found wasn't clear enough to really read though. It has a single dual power pack and cooling tube? Also a cooling fan. I'm hoping it's just the jumper. Any other info on the V96? Are there any power packs available that aren't fakes if I need one?

Missing jumper pins is the place to start...

Do you hear a relay click 4-6 seconds after switch on?

I'll be plugging it into my DBT later today to check for a short first. Good to know it does have a protection relay though. Any clue as to the part number for the dual STK used and or a replacement if its bad?

Last edited:
Ok, the amp module is good in this SU-V96. The problem is in the preamp section. The right channel is dead. Using one of my preamps the Technics amp section sounds pretty good. The RS-T17 dual cassette deck works perfectly. Looking at the heads and rollers I don't think it was ever used. I think I'll keep it. Now to try and find a service manual for the amp. I'm guessing there is a dual op amp for the preamp. 20180106_091338.jpg 20180106_091354.jpg 20180106_092313.jpg

So I found out the V96 is pretty much the same amp as the V960. The 960 has an added function along with a cooling fan. I'm going to test the tone,volume control and EQ chips first. Since the guy tried to plug a microphone into it somewhere, I'm hoping the tone chip is the one that lost one channel.

Iirc SVI3105 is power ic..

May have a bad input selector ic... TC uPD of MN series monolithic ic
I wasn't able to do much with it today, but I did notice something.
When I set the balance all the way to the right (bad channel), I do get low volume sound from that channel at full volume. Now here is the weird thing, the balance will creep all the way back to the left channel all on its own. The balance LED's follow also. Have you run into this before with any of yours?
Now I remember why I stopped buying and repairing equipment built in the eightis on that were chock full-0-IC's. :D

Iirc SVI3105 is power ic..

May have a bad input selector ic... TC uPD of MN series monolithic ic
Do you happen to know of a source for the M50720-408SP micro computer? Its looking like the problem may be with it.
Thanks

Ok, tested all the chips in the SU-V96 and they seem to be working properly. If I turn the volume all the way up with balance set to the right channel I get sound and its not distorted, just much lower than the right. The amp section works great. Next I'll pull and test the transistors in the muting circuit. There are a couple Mosfets right at the preout also. Maybe one is damaged. Man this thing is built flimsy.

I recently acquired an SU-V85a. The Technics has been a huge leap forward in clarity, depth of sound stage and dynamics.

I have deoxited all switches (except for the source selector switches).

Questions:
1) is there any reason to deoxit the source selector switches and is it even possible to reach them?
2) the tone control pots have some sort of grease inside. My guess is that it is for electrical contact and smooths out the rotation for a quality feel. Seems like I should NOT flush that out, but I've never heard any warnings against it. Haven't really come across any grease filled pots either.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new here. I am thinking of buying an SU-V670, however having read this thread and seen that highly-respected member "SVI2004A" considers SU-V4X to have the best sound, I start wondering if I should get an SU-VnX instead. How does the SU-Vnnn series compare to the SU-VnX (V4X to V10X) series?

My speakers are http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Magnat_Vector_55 (sorry german only); can an SU-V4X drive them without problem? My current amp is a Marantz PM 66 SE, and I find the bass a bit weak.

160 watt spkrs... I’d suggest V8X... the V4X will drive them fine but to get the most out of the speakers the extra watts are a good thing.....

The V4X has a sublime sound, and should prove quite a step ahead of the marantz... if the 50w/ch marantz is not enough definitely I’d look into high output amps

The V8X is the Integrated option of the SE-A5MK2 and SE-A70 (these three all use the same power amp section)

I prefer the new class A over class AA format.

thank you, very useful reply and much appreciated.

Can you please also comment on the difference between V8X and V10X? From the specs they look very similar, and I have never seen them in real life.

Not a lot... pcb layout... same power transistors both 1 xfmr with l/r ch caps... V8X 4x 8200uF ... V10X 4x 10,000uF

Not much in it with rail voltage 67v vs 64v

Computer drive is a big change... the V10X and V7X going retro to the MN1421 computer drive ic... a throwback from V303/505/707/909 and SE-A3MK2 (which still was in production)

The 84/85 sets went to MN1404 computer drive (V2X~V8X / SE A5MK2 SE-A70)

many thanks again, invaluable information!

Can you please recommend an alternative to V8X, in case I could not find a V8X?

I did some searching on ebay.de & ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and found some V6X and V707. How do they compare to V8X (apart from being less powerful)? My budget is up to 150 EUR.

The SU-Vnnn are much easier to to find at the above sites.

Back
Top Bottom