80's Technics Integrated Amps

STK2058IV vs SVI2003 vs SVI2004A

P1010540.jpg

Hi,

New here. I picked up a SU-X977 for $40 today (with free matching tuner & cassette deck), works nicely! I see it has a SVI 3204 output package and the amp is labeled "New class A".

Where does it fit into the scheme of things? Does it still use sychro-bias or? No user or service manual with it at that price :)

cheers,

X series was the Hi Density systems.... The earlier X** series were 315mm in width. The later X*** series were 360mm width

The X977 is a good amp. Digital inputs, good output stage, nice layout. Even metal face.

I would say this amp is 70-80w per chan.

Only thing to check is that the fan works when the volume is turned up (fan works off output signal)

The first lineup of the V series consisted of V2 V4 V6 and the flagship V8. The V4 also was known as V4A and V4K. The V2 and V4 were both based on STK80*0 output ICs, the V6 and V8 on transistor outputs. All featured the synchro bias outpit stages. In 79/80 the lineup was the V3 V5 V7 and the flagship V9.

Just a little additional info. I do know the SU-V8 was still being sold and promoted in the overseas markets as late as 81. I bought mine in the (SHAPE) PX in April of 81 and it was not a closeout model. Ser # EB0902C030

Could it be that there date range was a little behind the US? That or they just had a bunch.

X series was the Hi Density systems.... The earlier X** series were 315mm in width. The later X*** series were 360mm width

The X977 is a good amp. Digital inputs, good output stage, nice layout. Even metal face.

I would say this amp is 70-80w per chan.

Only thing to check is that the fan works when the volume is turned up (fan works off output signal)

Thanks! Only got it yesterday, but yes very impressed with the sound and construction of this amp.

Yep checked the fan and was quite amused to watch it come on-and-off based on music material with the volume at just the right spot.

Sometimes you can still get a bargain from fleabay!

cheers, Jacob

It wasnt uncommon for models in the previous years to carry over despite the release of the next lineup. Example SE-A3MK2 ran 84-87. And there are invariably cases of new old stock here and there that jade the year lineup contiguity.

Hi,

New here. I picked up a SU-X977 for $40 today (with free matching tuner & cassette deck), works nicely! I see it has a SVI 3204 output package and the amp is labeled "New class A".

Where does it fit into the scheme of things? Does it still use sychro-bias or? No user or service manual with it at that price :)

cheers,

Yeah 3204 IS synchro bias

I've looked everywhere and there is nothing on my amp. Technics such v96 where does it stand good or bad? Any idea on the wattage?

Substitutions

Hi, i am proud owner of SU-V650 and i was wondering (since unit is 20+ years old), what are possible substitutions for its SVI3205? SVI3205 in my country is 80% of unit price... Around 65 euros (~90 $).

Nevertheless sound is excellent, warm, clean, and backed up by serious power....

Thanks for quick reply. That IC is not avealable.... Well if it dyes i will get good use of its 670W transformer. Do you know where i can get datasheet for IC?

Hi!

Sorry for barging in on this thread....
I own a pair of SU-V550 amps from -88... Where would you place these as far as good or bad goes?

If I understood your posts correctly SVI2004A, these are still decent, and made before Technics turned all plastic...

What power ic would I find in them? The SVI3205? If so, is it in any way comparable with the earlier ones as far as sound quality goes (like SVI2004).

Thanks!

The V550 amps are good :)

They are running SVI3205

These amps are the better end of them, they got a decent power supply and a decent heatsink to make the best of the 3205

These amps are interesting in operation, as the discrete voltage amp leads the signal, and the SVI gives it the current to back it up over the Wheatstone Bridging resistors.

65 a side in 8 ohm and 105 a side in 4 ohm

Regards Baily :)

Thanks for a fast reply!

The V550 amps are good :)

I'm really happy to hear that! :music:

I've actually managed to get my hands on a complete "550" lineup from -88 (The year I discovered Technics)

SU-V550 x2 (amps)
SL-P550 (CD)
ST-G550 (tuner)
RS-B505 (cassette deck)

Oh how I wish Technics would've renamed the cassette deck RS-B550!!

Stuff to get rid of/replace: SH-8038 (eq) and SL-BD22 (TT)

I'll let the speakers remain unmentioned, as they are utter crap and I've just kept them while I search for something more appropriate...

1zzroqu.jpg
2pt2w53.jpg

I have had a Technics rack system for the better part of 15 years,
the amp is an SU-G90..
Any info on that?

Back
Top Bottom