838 went from fine to transistor radio like

Well that stinks. Pulled one of the woofers. One of the leads separated from the basket. I guess I will try and solder back the speaker leads and see what they sound like. Note to self. Don't let your daughter push speakers that are underrated for the receiver. I guess I am in the market for speakers.

a compressor limiter should stop it happening again . or a fixed attenuator between the amp input and source .

a compressor limiter should stop it happening again . or a fixed attenuator between the amp input and source .

Or maybe a mechanical stop on the volume knob :).

I am going to try and repair the speakers tonight with some solder wick. I cant really tell is the tweeters are damaged, but they sure sound awful without a woofer.

I fixed both woofers with some braid. All good now. I think my daughter learned a lesson with this one. Lost one of the terminal screws on the back of the speaker. Cant find it anywhere. So frustrating. I am sure it will show up at some point.

So it WAS the speakers verses the 838? I'd still do a check of the offset and bias just to make sure it's ok. Then tweak it to the middle of the bias spec. Good time to DeOxit all the controls, and clean internally. And give her the opportunity to clean the outside of the case, front panel and the knobs. At least this will give her some time to think about future use at reasonable levels.

Back
Top Bottom