'88 Dodge Aries TV ad - you WANT to see this

This commercial...

• Made me want to buy a Dodge Aries.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Reminded me how the '88 Dodge Aries sucked.

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
That is funny stuff. :rofl:
Back in '89 I went to buy a used truck, and the guy kept trying to get me to try out a brand new Plymouth Reliant. I was like WTF. Maybe the '89 was a way better car? :no:

Sad thing is my mom owned an '81 Plymouth Reliant K wagon with the beefier Mitsubishi engine, and loved it. When it was time to trade it in, she bought the '86 Dodge Aries coupe (what a piece of crap). I think it they still mad 'em, she'd still buy 'em.

That Lee Iacocca. A genius indeed. I wonder if he's still around. I didn't always agree with his design directions but this guy really had the guts many top executives are lacking. Determined and firm even when things went tough.

He didn't do much about "crapsler's" quality tho.

I once had a 1990 Grand Voyager Minivan that quit on me in the middle of nowhere: Van Horn, Texas! The torque converted failed and it wasn't worth fixing. I left it there :D

Last edited:
Wasn't the K-car Iacocca's design that pulled Plymouth/Chrysler/Dodge out of near bankruptcy? Now look at Daimler-Chrysler today...some of the hottest vehicles on the road have Chrysler/Dodge badges on 'em. Still don't like the PT Cruiser or the Neon (but that's just me), but I'd own any of their other latest offerings today.

Apparently the "K-Car" concept was already in the making when Iaccoca was named head of Chrysler in 1979. Of course, he did lots of changes to it and pretty much made it his own. He managed to bring the cars to the market which seemed impossible for a near bankrupt company.

He based pretty much all of his front wheel drive offerings in the 80s and early 90s on the K-Car platform including the ubiquitous Minivan which was really his idea (originally developed at Ford but discarded by Henry Ford II).

Back
Top Bottom