881 or 8080

komtois

Hi guys!

First post here....

I just got on the vintage gear wagon this year with a nice 661 which I really like. Like it seem to be the case with many, I'd like to upgrade to a better system. My audio shop guy is offering either a 881 or a 8080 for about the same price (881 is cosmetically nicer). I'd like to know what you guys think about the two, soundwise, reliability ... and if it worth going from 661 to those 2. Or should I wait for something else? And just for fun, how would a pioneer 939 compare to those 2.

This question may be have done to death but did not manage to find a thread exactly about it.

Can't wait to hear opinions

I had an 881 and an 8080db at the same time. The 881 is long gone and the 8080db is still here.

That said, with gear this old condition can play a big part in the sound.

If it is any help, I have a refurbished 771 that has a really nice sound.
If it was my only receiver, I could be quite happy.
I have read good things about the 661 as well.
I cannot believe that an 881 in similar shape would be less than outstanding.
I also like the look of the XX1 series, and the 881 was TOTL for that series.

I am sure that the 8080 will have a lot of fans as well.
I have no experience with it.
I do not know of any of the 1970s Sansuis that has a less than stellar reputation for sound quality.

My first decent SS was an 881. At the time I decided to add a 2nd system. Figured since I was happy with the 881, I'll try a different Sansui series. Since I liked the looks of the x0x0 models, I test drove a 7070 which is the model below the 8080. The seller had it paired with some Bose 301's for a demo. At one time I had the same series 301's paired with the 881. Synergy was good, but not great. At least I'll be able to make a fairer assessment on the 7070, but unfortunately the 7070 sounded more clinical and less appealing to my ears.

I ended up getting a Sansui 2000x. Even with about 20wpc fewer than the 881, 2000x had a more pleasing sound sig and it ended up replacing the 881 for my main system..

Thx for your input guys!

About the 2000x, I read it is an older line than the xx1 series. So would the built quality be superior, kinda like what I am reading about the sansui 8 model. Would sound be similar?

For my 661, I was pleasantly suprised to hear how nice and "full" it sounded with my modern Polk compared to my dad old Pioneer speakers. So I guess theres a part luck and trial and error in finding the perfect system.

Also, I don't have a big livingroom, so sound is what I am aiming for more so than power.

I no longer have the 2000x, but I do have a 4000. It's slightly more powerful, but sounds just as warm an inviting.
The 4000 is a workhorse and I can listen to it for 10+ hrs without any fatigue whatsoever. I also have a Sansui Six
and it sounds just as impressive to me as the 4000.

Sound signature:
x000 series = warm but exciting enough to keep these old ears happy
Single digit series = less warmth and more neutral
xx1 series = neutral

Ask 10 people and you will get 12 different answers. Decide for yourself which you like better. The 881 was the top of the line receiver of it's era. The 8080 is a decontented version of the 9090 which followed the 881 as the TOTL receiver.

- Pete

which one would you preffer? sansui 2000x or 4000,speaking of how it sounds.
Please don't post on old threads (this is from 2017) that have nothing to do with your question, especially when you have already started your own thread asking the same question.
Bad etiquette.

Back
Top Bottom