907 imos .....Blown output mosfets ...need replacements advice

quadklipsh

Well , a sorry thing happened and the amplifier blew its left channel.
Can i have some good suggestions for the replacements of the MOSFETs.
T j 405
T j 115

You need to get the right part number, those you listed do not bring anything up.

If they are TO3 package, forget it, you'll never find them except maybe on eBay....used or fakes...

Have you taken out all 8? Have you removed and tested each one?

Do not, under any circumstances buy these devices on eBay. They are all fake I can assure you. No matter how good you think they look- they are fake.

If you want to see some J115/K405 fakes alongside genuine ones, I can post a few pics.

restorer-john
please send images before i decide where to order .

any assistance is welcome .
Im tilting towards Exicons as Hitachi or any original pull outs is gonna be next to impossible ......if thats the general impression .....

The guy who witnessed the burning of the outputs,the smoke and crackling tells me that the amp was up and running for 30 minutes with absolutely no complaints and he had half a dozen friends sitting enjoying music , there was no distortion or noise whatsoever . ... ..

our minds are in knots what could have caused this ......
any guesses ?

The block was removed by the tech and he tested the fuse . The fuse was blown n then replaced which turned the right channel ON. but the left has the blown transistors .I wasn't in the workshop so don't know if he tested each ONE OF EM OR NOT ....but looks like the whole block of 8 Mosfets would have suffered .
Are we supposed to replace only the 8 of em of the burnt side or do a complete sweep and replace 16 of em for both sides... with the Exicons or the best ones , i wonder which ...
please suggest and maybe give me a differential diagnoses of why it happened . ...

No, Zelkjo's Mosfets are original. He bought a pile of them from Japan and sells them on to make a few dollars. I even got some from him several years ago. He is trustworthy.

I'd be going straight to the bias pot and associated circuitry. Many a mosfet amp has taken out all its devices when old bias pots get flaky.

You will need to remove them all and carefully test them- and the 0.22ohm wirewounds- some may have failed too. On that amp, you'd need to get a bunch of mosfets and match them. It will be an expensive exercise. Forget the exicons, you can get originals.

check drivers etc and the zener gate diodes if they fitted them .
yes replace all outputs in a channel .

The guy who witnessed the burning of the outputs,the smoke and crackling tells me that the amp was up and running for 30 minutes with absolutely no complaints and he had half a dozen friends sitting enjoying music , there was no distortion or noise whatsoever . ... ..

our minds are in knots what could have caused this ......
any guesses ?
might have needed a compressor limiter before the amp or may have needed better speakers .. my mosfet amp has blown up for both those reasons .. am sure most dj.s think it is good to have the red lights constantly lit on their mixer .and consequently the amp clipping lights full on .

The above comments cement my strategy of never buying a unit with mosfet outputs, and truthfully staying clear of attempting to repair/restore any. Transistors have been manufactured for so many years in so many different case styles. There is almost never an issue with finding good replacements in whatever case style you need, but I can't understand why power mosfets came and went so quickly.

But I wish you luck in your repair journey

Odd, there are any number of pro linear MOSFET amps chugging along with nary a hiccup.
My present preferences lean to MOSFET linear and digital switch mode amps. Meanwhile, the Marantz 8 tube amp is sidelined.

Last edited:
The above comments cement my strategy of never buying a unit with mosfet outputs, and truthfully staying clear of attempting to repair/restore any. Transistors have been manufactured for so many years in so many different case styles. There is almost never an issue with finding good replacements in whatever case style you need, but I can't understand why power mosfets came and went so quickly.

But I wish you luck in your repair journey
Came and went so quickly?
Every large format Concert sound system using the latest technology are all using MOSFET power amps. Nobody uses Bipolar power amplifiers any more, only older systems....
We have retired all our BJT amplifiers.

Back
Top Bottom