9090 dial lamp bypass procedure

Give the selector switch a good cleaning and they'll come back fine, they did on mine.

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the selector switch. I've swapped the position of the red wire already which lit the dial lights (beautiful), but the source lights are still out. I spent about a half hour last night spraying it with the Radio Shack brand of de-oxidizer (maybe I should get the name brand?) and working the knob, but the lights still haven't come back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the selector switch. I've swapped the position of the red wire already which lit the dial lights (beautiful), but the source lights are still out. I spent about a half hour last night spraying it with the Radio Shack brand of de-oxidizer (maybe I should get the name brand?) and working the knob, but the lights still haven't come back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Yes, try the Deoxit brand cleaner, it's a proven formula, see Arkay's thread in the FAQ of Vintage solid state for the how to of cleaning your filthy selector switch.

Have you checked to see if the bulbs are good? If they are burned out, no amount of cleaner will bring them back to life.

- Pete

Yep, bulbs are OK. I jumped the 6V from the dial lamp supply over to the source lamp supply and at the very least the Dolby light works.

I'll go check out that thread.

Thanks!!

Fixed my lights issue

I've been a lurker around these forums for a while...but finding this thread helped me fix a "no lights" issue on my recently acquired 9090.

:banana:

This is an outstanding resource for anyone, like myself, that is getting into vintage audio.

Thanks AudioKarma!!!!!:D

Anyone know of a good place to send a 8080DB on the East Coast for service and resto? I live in NC. Thanks and PM me if possible.

Anyone know of a good place to send a 8080DB on the East Coast for service and resto? I live in NC. Thanks and PM me if possible.

My friend, this post is kinda hiding here at the end of an old post, please consider a new thread for your question, more members will likely see it and help....:yes:

Kind of an odd thread to post this request but no matter. Where on the east coast? There are several AK members that can probably help you.

- Pete

I'm trying to do the lamp bypass mod but I am having trouble getting the red wire out of the plastic harness. I have mashed, pushed, pulled and probed the entire area where the wire goes in but it won't come out. Is there a simple trick I'm missing? I don't want to damage the wire or harness so I thought I would just ask what I'm doing wrong.

Never mind. Got it working! I tried one more time and the red wire just popped out. The lamp dial on my 9090 has more of a greenish tint whereas all the pics I've seen the light is bright blue. Is this unusual?

Mine are more blue than green, your faceplate may be slightly stained with yellow, as blue plus yellow will be green....

Just did the selector switch bypass for my lights on my 9090. Now the lights work but the red protector light is flashing.What's up with this?

8080 help

Well just got my old sansui receiver back after 38 years...I wanted the memories what can I say.

My problem started when after listening to it all afternoon all of a sudden the function lights and the dial lights went out then the function it self went down.

Bottom line I get phono, tape, and AM but no FM.

When I hold the selector dial in between AM and Dolby FM I can get FM.

My suspicion was to clean the selector switch but after a few attempts still having problems

Thought I would give you guys a try maybe there are tips on the best way to clean the switch as it is hard to get at to spray.

Any help will be appreciated. Ron

Clean it, work it back and forth about 100 times.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Mine took 4 times........

Thanks, yeah I was using a product from Radio Shack and have since found out that Deoxit d5 is what I should be using. So I will be getting some of that next.
Thanks for help.
Ron

Ron, you gotta take the cover off, the selector switch is operated from a long shaft, it's waaaay back inside so thru the faceplate ain't gonna do it.
I also use a pipe cleaner brush, soaked in deoxit, and get in there wherever I can.
Took a couple days on a 990 once....:thmbsp:

Thanks again I have cover off are the contacts in front, back, or middle of switch. If you know?
Thanks again,
Ron

Back
Top Bottom