9090 on e-bay ?

When the 9090DB is first powered On, as it momentarily stabilizes the red indicator flashes and then it goes to a steady green. So, if you're referring to the steady green that you see in the Ebay photos, its normal.

B/F

I just got my 9090DB back from echowars... there is no steady green light on the front? Where can i get a bulb?

Thanks,
Jesse

Thanks for that bit of knowledge there B/F. I have one of these that needs a SERIOUS cleaning at the least. I'm not getting any output and saw the light.

I found it on the curb anyways.

SKI, Notice that the preamp to main jumpers are missing. I don't know how this unit was "checked out" without the jumpers. I noticed that no mention of the jumpers being missing in the auction listing.

Originally posted by CDFixer
SKI, Notice that the preamp to main jumpers are missing. I don't know how this unit was "checked out" without the jumpers. I noticed that no mention of the jumpers being missing in the auction listing.

With phono cables?

Originally posted by fliphandywork
I just got my 9090DB back from echowars... there is no steady green light on the front? Where can i get a bulb?

Thanks,
Jesse
Jesse...

I had no idea...this is the first 9090db I've seen in a loooooong time. I went and looked at the schematic, and it is not a bulb, it is either a dual color LED or bi-color LED. Bias one way and you have green, bias the other way and you have red. Problem is, Sansui does NOT show the board in the manual (did I mention that Sansui manuals suck???), so I can't tell if it is a Bi-color (two leads) or dual color (three leads).

If I had known, probably a simple matter to take care of.... :rolleyes:

Edit: I took another look...the LED board is shown with another board (bloody hidden). It is a three-pin LED, so it is called a dual-color LED. It switches on the green side through the main output relay...another stupid idea from Sansui. LED's are a very low-failure item, so I'm thinking the problem is with the relay contacts. There isn't much current going through an LED (15mA maybe), and the relay contacts are not designed to reliably carry such low currents...hence any oxidation of the contacts will impede current flow.

If you can get the top off of the relay without destroying it, then you can clean the contacts ( #600 sandpaper, a careful touch, and a shot of DeOxit or other good contact cleaner) and the green will probably start working.

Found this:
Take a narrow strip (1/4" approx, cut or torn), fold it in half and crease it with grit sides facing out, and then separate the contacts, slip it between, and withdraw letting the contact provide its' own pressure. Repeat if needed, then clean any dust and grit out with a strip of paper towel, or or other lint free material. This is important, since the slightest non-conductive dust on the newly cleaned and polished surfaces can easily prevent electrical contact, especially at the low voltage/current values we are usually dealing with. The fineness and thin aspect of this improvised "paper cleaning file" keeps the points in proper relationship while being used, so distortion or flattening of the contact point is minimal, if any.

Tip courtesy of T. E. Spillers
I would add that...the contact that needs to be cleaned is on the 'made' side of the relay, so unless you close the relay by pushing the contacts closed with gentle pressure when pulling the thin strip of sandpaper through, the proper contact will not get cleaned. Also, any grit that gets loosened needs to be flushed out with DeOxit or ProGold.

All in all, the tricky part is getting the relay cover off. It is held on on the long sides with a small tab near the base...look close and you'l see it. Don't worry if you damage the tab, but try not to destroy the whole cover. If the cover is sloppy after removing it, it can be held in place with a tiny dab of silicone when it is put back together.

Last edited:
Been awhile sense I sold my 9090DB with service manual (yes the manual sucks ;) ) but seems to me that it was a two lead bi-colored LED when I was studing the schematic.

Lefty

Its a three lead LED P/N GL40RG-8. This is in the service manual, its part of the relay board diagram.

Yes..I should have known that a GL40RG-8 was a three-pin LED.:rolleyes:

(Just kidding....)

...but it did take a minute or two to find the board. Like I said...they tried to hide it. :dammit:

I really don't feel like lugging that thing out of its home... to heavy. I guess one day I will get the bug to fix it, not sure when that day will come.

THanks

Back
Top Bottom