Locobreth

I was bidding on a 9090 on goodwills site and was quickly out of the bidding as the numbers quickly went crazy. I know it's a fairly high wattage piece and most I've read about it describes "some very sophisticated electronics". Can someone elaborate on this? School me a little as to the features and guts of this piece that make it so desirable. Thanks. I have a few sansui receivers and love the sound. I sold all but one of my marantz receivers after getting into sansui.

The 9090, 9090DB, 990DB all these models are going for big bucks these days. If it is somewhat working you will be paying in the $600.00+ range if it's a broken down piece of crap you can get them in the $300.00+ range. I personally have fallen for the 9090 after fixing one that was sitting in my to do pile for a long time, I let the DB models go. My heart longs for another 5000X.

It's not the sound , that attracts people to 9090 , but rather the looks.
The sound is not bad , but it is fat with less finesse , compared to other sansuis like ca-ba 3k.
Anyway it sure is a nice machine.

The one on the goodwill site now is sitting around $480 I think. It's described the normal way there. Powers on but no further testing. Has chips around the edges and soiling. I have not had good luck with that site. But I still take chances with them. I was just surprised that it went so high so quick. Auction ends in a cpl hours. I'm curious to see just how much higher it goes. Does anyone know what all these descriptions of " very sophisticated electronics" are talking about? Is there something different?

It's not the sound , that attracts people to 9090 , but rather the looks.
The sound is not bad , but it is fat with less finesse , compared to other sansuis like ca-ba 3k.
Anyway it sure is a nice machine.
:scratch2: The looks, ahhhhh ok.:confused:

I recently purchased a g-5700. I hooked it directly to a pair of sp-3700's and a pair of sp-300's and I must say it's the best sounding combination I've had. So I really wasn't ready to spend $500 on a 9090 right now. I believe the g-5700 was built around 1979. It seems to be built before the big downward spiral of quality in the eighties. Am I correct ? I plan on opening it up to see just for curiosity sake but that won't be for a while. Any info on this reciever would be appreciated. Also I will be looking for a pair of sp-5500's after Xmas so if anyone has a line on a pair let me know. It will depend on my money situation as I expect to pay $800 for a nice pair. Thanks

9090 goodwill

A broken 9090DB sold for $511.00 on the Bay, I guess there are no limits after all.

The one on goodwill went yesterday at $480 and it was soiled and scuffed with chips all around face. Powered on. No further testing done. Like I said earlier I have not had good luck on goodwill. They luv using the "powered on" statement. That usually means the lights come on when it's turned on but nothing else works.

Not a thread crapper, but it happens all the time with high end electronics and other items on that site.

I'll bet a unit of karma:D lol. That this 9090 will be put up again for non payment, I have seen as many times as 4 relists for 1 item as the bidders just play games.

We know full well for that bid ,we could buy it now with a return option on another site.

Usually that unit would go about 300 to 350 plus ship.

My son works part time at goodwill center and they are very self aware that people will bid more because they are helping a good cause.:scratch2:

I agree. I think more times than not people just get into that personal zone where they just have to beat the other guy. That and it's not as bad to get kicked off goodwill as eBay. Goodwill give you three no payments before they cut someone off. I think it should be the 2nd non payment your done. I just don't like that goodwills always say something powers on but no further testing was done. I mean if there gonna sell this equipment they should at least hook up a pair of speakers.

I'm in Coatesville pa. Which is fifty minutes south west of Philly. Twenty minutes north of the Delaware - Pennsylvania border. I've got some good deals in Delaware in the past.

I agree. I think more times than not people just get into that personal zone where they just have to beat the other guy. That and it's not as bad to get kicked off goodwill as eBay. Goodwill give you three no payments before they cut someone off. I think it should be the 2nd non payment your done. I just don't like that goodwills always say something powers on but no further testing was done. I mean if there gonna sell this equipment they should at least hook up a pair of speakers.

I know the goodwill stores around here are picked over by the employees before the stuff goes into the store. I have seen myself at a larger store. They actually on nice days take drop offs and trucks and offload and then go through the stuff outside. I was told so that stuff they can't use doesn't even go into the store. The problem with this is the employees have more of an opppurtunity to pick through it. I myself saw an employee carrying a reciever to his car. I can't say for sure he didn't pay for it but that's beside the point. It surely didn't get into the store. I know when I asked the manager about it she was not pleased and just said I'll look I to it right away. I didn't give a description cause I certainly didn't want to get anyone fired but just hope something was said. Wife called me a rat.

I cant explain it, loco...I (tomdooly) just snagged my SECOND 9090 from GW...and I do not mind the cost, nor the shipping for my FIRST 9090 to get overhauled. So, what will I do with TWO 9090s? I have no clue. Most likely the second one will spend some time on my bench, MAY wind up as a gift to my son. Yes, I could have bought some really nice modern stuff with that much cash. But I did not want modern stuff. I also bought some lesser sansui models to practice with...Thanks to all AK folk whos posts Ive read that helped get #1 going. I sent it off anyway, maybe #2 will be all my work!!

I looked closely for the "scratches and chipping on the edges"... did not show via my ipad. It should arrive in a few days, ill post pics after I get the lights going, case and plastic polished, and power meters dancing! Im very happy with my purchase, and it will NOT be relisted, except maybe on EB in ten years or so when I go to tube audio.....Also, i did not want to "beat the other guy" or pay more because of charity. I wanted another 9090.

Last edited:
The best way get a lower cost purchase is to be first at the garage and estate sales, thrifts, paper ads or Craigslist. I have purchased 9090 (2), 9090db, SX-1010 and Akai AA-1200 from $10 to $35 each at garage and estate sales and thrifts over the last 10 years. It takes effort, persistence and luck.

Bidding on epay, or any other bidding operation, with many eager buyers, insures you will pay top dollar.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, ill keep my eyes open...Like I said, im happy with my purchase. being in sales for 25 years ive learned that something is worth what someone will pay. So...TWO 9090s....glad I have a large house and live in the woods!

I cant explain it, loco...I (tomdooly) just snagged my SECOND 9090 from GW...and I do not mind the cost, nor the shipping for my FIRST 9090 to get overhauled. So, what will I do with TWO 9090s? I have no clue. Most likely the second one will spend some time on my bench, MAY wind up as a gift to my son. Yes, I could have bought some really nice modern stuff with that much cash. But I did not want modern stuff. I also bought some lesser sansui models to practice with...Thanks to all AK folk whos posts Ive read that helped get #1 going. I sent it off anyway, maybe #2 will be all my work!!

As much as I complain about goodwill I still roll the dice with them a lot. I've just learned to curtail my expectations. I agree with the not wanting the modern stuff. Even with the frustration of working on the vintage stuff nothing new that is affordable can touch the sound of a decent vintage piece.

I looked closely for the "scratches and chipping on the edges"... did not show via my ipad. It should arrive in a few days, ill post pics after I get the lights going, case and plastic polished, and power meters dancing! Im very happy with my purchase, and it will NOT be relisted, except maybe on EB in ten years or so when I go to tube audio.....Also, i did not want to "beat the other guy" or pay more because of charity. I wanted another 9090.
I actually do think you did well on that piece. I expected a few more bids in the final minutes. Congrats. I hope everything works and it just needs some deox

They are tanks literally. I have perfect 9090db and a poor old 9090 that looks like it fell off a truck. It has a bent faceplate, a couple of tone knobs broken off and a scuffed up case but it works and sounds as well as the 9090DB. I bought it over 10 years ago for $5.00. Unfortunately I am going to sell them in the near future as I have to do some serious downsizing prior to a move. I don't need the 30 reel to reel decks I own anymore either.

Back
Top Bottom