9090db Tuner Adjustment

Duke

My Tuner is off a 1/4" - I took the cover off and tried to locate where one might be able to adjust the tumer so it tracks to correct station number.

But after several tweaks I was unable to adjust the tuner.

Is there some magic to do this?

:dunno:

Duke, this alignment requires an am/fm signal generator, a scope, and voltmeter. There are 4 adjustments (2 for am and 2 for fm) for each end of the dial. That being said, the first thing they tell you to do is ensure the pointer is at 0 when the tuning capacitor is fully closed. If its not at 0 with the capacitor closed, and its off in the same direction as the station freq, all you may have to do is move the pointer. That is fairly easy, carefully remove the string from the pointer move it in the direction you need and reattach the string.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Reply to Jim

Jim,

The FM and AM appear to be working just fine, however, the "pointer" is off 1/4" from where the actual station # on the display.

I.E. The FM station 92.5 comes in strong, but the pointer is positioned at 93.

I saw where the string was attached to the brass pointer, whereas it appeared the string was held by two small brass clips (about 1/8" wide by 1/4" in length).

I gently pried the two small brass clips and attempted to slide the pointer about 1/4" of an inch, but the pointer did not move, it appeared as if there may be some glue holding the string?

Comments - Suggestions?
:sadwave:

There is some Glytol (A soft glue) holding the string. CAREFULLY remove the string from the pointer, then move the pointer, place the string back in the pointer and press down the clips so the string is captured. If you are very careful you can add a really small dab of clear nail polish to the string. Personally I don't too much chance of gluing the pointer to the chassis.

My advice. Send it to someone to align. Tuners are not for most to repair. I would bet money that the alignment is off as well as the pointer.

Grumpy

That's absolutly true Grumpy, However, first step in the alignment of the tuner accuracy is to insure the pointer is at 0 when the capacitor is closed. That you can do yourself, and if the tuner is strong, and works to your satisfaction except for the pointer alignment thats all I would do.

If it ain't broke don't try t fix it!:)

I agree completely but out of the hundreds of pieces Ive owned i have yet to find one that could not have benefited from a full alignment ;)

Back
Top Bottom