90's Akai Speakers

Max Flower

Despite the bad reputation of 90's equipment compared to some earlier stuff, I decided to grab a pair of Akai 3-way speakers for coffee money.. the SR-H580, which was released as part of a complete setup in 1991, the M400 from the Fx Series. Speakers are 8ohm with a max power input of 70w.

Now, they're not exceptional by any means. Did an A/B test.. if I run them alone, they have a little more detail than my Jamo Cornet 20 IV's, and have a greater sonic range, but just seem flatter and have less character. Did a little experimenting and found that they sound best when played alongside the Cornets. Louder, clearer and keeps some character and space from the sound I was used to before. The improvement is so-so, but for a couple of bucks, honestly, if you're just starting to get into this hobby like me and aren't yet familiar with what the higher end stuff can sound like, it's worth experimenting with some of the lower quality stuff. As they say here on AK, if it sounds good to you, that's what counts.

I have some stuff to repair to improve things later... I'll post threads in time, I'm sure. But until I have the time and money to get started on those projects, this will tide me over. Plus, they kinda match the Jamo's when stacked.

Attachments

• 20170322_171958.jpg
    20170322_171958.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom