'99 Nighthawk- I'm stumped.

Farmhand

I have a 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 that won't start. I've done all the tests in the Clymer manual, checked continuities, cleaned connections, bench-tested the starter (works), and there's still just the single click from the solenoid.
I also checked the side stand, clutch, and neutral switches and they're ok.
Riding season is on borrowed time here in the Northeast. Any ideas?

+1, engine seized for some reason. Hopefully fuel in the cylinder, hopefully not from running out of oil or something along those lines. Either way you'll need to figure out what caused it and fix that problem.

Good idea on the vapor lock; I'll pull the plugs and try that tomorrow. I'll apply a bit of PB Blaster tonight so I don't snap a plug off- wouldn't surprise me at all! Might as well throw in a new pair of plugs while I'm at it.
This came about right after replacing the chain and sprockets. After reassembly it wouldn't start, so I charged the battery and checked all connections. It did start and road tested fine, but after that it just went "click".

Good idea on the vapor lock; I'll pull the plugs and try that tomorrow. I'll apply a bit of PB Blaster tonight so I don't snap a plug off- wouldn't surprise me at all! Might as well throw in a new pair of plugs while I'm at it.
This came about right after replacing the chain and sprockets. After reassembly it wouldn't start, so I charged the battery and checked all connections. It did start and road tested fine, but after that it just went "click".

Can you put it in gear and turn the engine? If so it's not hydro locked.

Well now that you mention it, I did push it a little in 5th gear while checking the neutral switch, so there goes that theory. I'll double-check tomorrow just to be absolutely sure.

Id be very surprised if it was hl.If all you get is click you have elect issues.Bad battery,bad cables ,defective starter etc.Check and clean any and all connections cables etc.

Could be something as simple as a bad ground. Are you sure the battery is still good ? Batteries that have sat for awhile (especially in a state of discharge) often will not take and hold a good charge for any significant amount of time.

Is that with or without a load.

The unloaded battery voltage should likely be over 12.6 volts and on a fully charged battery it may be closer to 13 volts or even more.

You need to know the voltage at the starter during cranking (trying to start the engine) and the voltage at the battery during cranking.

Try jumping the battery off a non running car. 12.3 volts I think that considered 1/4 charge

12.3V is roughly equivalent to 65%.

The voltage tests suggested will be a big clue. If the voltage at the battery falls on its face during cranking then there is either an exceptionally heavy load or the battery is weak. If the battery voltage doesn't drop too much then there is a bad connection or the starter isn't trying to do any work or the starter control circuit is not right.

Battery measures 12.3

Just reading voltage across the terminals basically means nothing....you can get the same reading by hooking 8 AA flashlight batteries together, but that doesn`t mean it will start your vehicle. That takes cranking amps (LOTS of `em), which your battery probably does not have....

I thought the same thing about battery voltage too Farmhand .People on here and iboats schooled me on the correct way and viola my battery was pooched even though i measured 12.6 v .To confirm i took the batt to a shop and the results were thus,avg battery life of this batt is 48 months ,age of batt is 99 months! Boy i got my moneys worth out of that bluetop.

I'll jump start it tomorrow. I'm thinking it's probably that.

Why not just measure the voltage as you're trying to start it, as has been suggested?

The 12.3V static in and of itself isn't terrible. It's what happens to that voltage when you are cranking it that tells the real story.

I would definitely measure the battery voltage under load while starting before jump starting with a car battery.
Why, you ask?

Years ago my Honda NX250 wouldn´t turn over. I thought the battery was dead. It turns out, the bearing in the starter was so corroded that the starter was blocked. If I would have tried a jump start with a car battery, the wiring harness would have gone up in flames.

Back
Top Bottom