$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

I agree that the Topping puts out too much voltage. I made up some -12 dB inline attenuators to tame it down a little so I can actually use the volume control on my preamp. My XiangSheng DAC 01A does the same thing but I can tame that with its built-in volume control when configured to "preamp" mode with rearrangement of the internal jumpers. It would be nice if the D30 an adjustable gain reduction mechanism.

I agree that the Topping puts out too much voltage. I made up some -12 dB inline attenuators to tame it down a little so I can actually use the volume control on my preamp. My XiangSheng DAC 01A does the same thing but I can tame that with its built-in volume control when configured to "preamp" mode with rearrangement of the internal jumpers. It would be nice if the D30 an adjustable gain reduction mechanism.
It's about the same max output voltage as many CD players have... still, if the D30 output is a little too hot for your setup you certainly can add line level attenuators (fixed type like you describe, or variable - a passive preamp perhaps).

I run my DACs through tube buffers/preamps, which accomplishes the same thing with the added benefit of sweetening their ultra clean output with some tube goodness before amplification.

The D30 works with my other two Sansui amps, I used it on Sansui AU-D907X and AU-D907F Extra both without a problem, but my system in the living room where the Mac Mini sits uses Sansui AU-717 and that's the one that almost got cooked.

The D30 works with my other two Sansui amps, I used it on Sansui AU-D907X and AU-D907F Extra both without a problem, but my system in the living room where the Mac Mini sits uses Sansui AU-717 and that's the one that almost got cooked.

That means nothing, if it’s to high for that unit then it’s to high.

;)

The older the amp - the lower max input voltage is needed.
Agreed, I think the vintage receivers and amps were not designed for 2V line level output... that standard came along when CD players were introduced in the 80's.

I believe the intent of the higher line level voltage standard for CD/Digital players was to take advantage of their greater dynamic range capability.

I connect my Sony Blueray player through coaxial to the D30 but the audio from the movie doesn't come through, anybody knows why?

You may need to change some settings in the digital output setup menu of your player... it might be automatically defaulting to multichannel HDMI output.

You would want it to be downmixed stereo, specify the digital coax output (not HDMI) and PCM instead of AC3 (Dolby Digital)

Agreed, I think the vintage receivers and amps were not designed for 2V line level output... that standard came along when CD players were introduced in the 80's.

I believe the intent of the higher line level voltage standard for CD/Digital players was to take advantage of their greater dynamic range capability.

I am a neophyte in this area so looking for a little help. I have a Pioneer SX850 that is listed at 150mV for AUX and Tape inputs. I typically stream Spotify on an iPhone 5S and have been relying on the integrated DAC in the phone. I've been looking at getting a dedicated DAC. Both the D30 and the Mobi are way over 150mV (Modi is 1.5v). Is the only safe way to use one of these DACs with my receiver to use a line level attenuator?

I am a neophyte in this area so looking for a little help. I have a Pioneer SX850 that is listed at 150mV for AUX and Tape inputs. I typically stream Spotify on an iPhone 5S and have been relying on the integrated DAC in the phone. I've been looking at getting a dedicated DAC. Both the D30 and the Mobi are way over 150mV (Modi is 1.5v). Is the only safe way to use one of these DACs with my receiver to use a line level attenuator?

Hard to say w/o trying but at best you'll likely end up with limited useful volume control range, i.e. it will get too loud already at 11 o'clock, at worst it may lead to some clipping and distortion. I don't think using it w/no attenuators is unsafe as in it can damage the receiver, but the experience may not be ideal.

I use a tube buffer with volume control after my DAC. Something like that (or a passive attenuator, also known as a passive preamp) should work, yes. That way you can turn down the output of the DAC so you have more useful volume control range on your receiver - and it should help prevent distortion or even possible damage to the preamp input of your receiver.

just recently got a d30 as a christmas gift. sent back an fx audio dac x6 that i was trying out as a "get me over" type solution. also recently found a rotel rcd-965bx to use as a transport.
definitely a huge difference with the d30. the x6 i was happy with and couldn't really say it was doing anything wrong, but it was just astonishing how many more levels of detail were revealed when switching to the d30. i was also amazed how much better the sound was when i got the rotel. i had been using the coax digital audio out of my cheapo samsung blu-ray.
even with the x6 the sound improved with (i resume) a cleaner digital source. and with the d30--as the late dick enberg would say, "oh my".....
AK has been a great resource to help find this DAC. probably wouldn't have been on my wishlist w/o the great testimonials and links I found here.

now if anybody has a line on a rr-901 remote or knows something compatible, my system will be complete.
Have you found any difference between the Rotel and the Samsung when used just as transports?
I bet the Rotel should sound better, but most people say bits are bits and it shouldn't matter..

Back
Top Bottom