$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

Question for the followers of this thread: Not being the most knowledgeable on the subject, I have to ask; is there software that updates my USB port or something that must be done internally to my PC (MS Surface, Win 7.0) to transfer data? I've been using a V-DAC on loan from a friend and now I am trying to swap it out for the Topping D20. V-DAC works, Topping doesn't yet the pc recognizes that the D20 is present, just no output. Yes, the switch is thrown to the USB position. Thanks for reading.

the pc recognizes that the D20 is present, just no output. Yes, the switch is thrown to the USB position.

Probably just need to go into the audio settings on your computer and select USB DAC as your output device. At least that's all that was needed with my D20 and Mac computers.

The SMSL Sanskrit came with a mini-disc labeled "DSD." Typical of Chi-Fi, however, no instructions. Presumably, the disc includes DSD drivers. I don't have DSD files on my computer, so I haven't messed with it.

No disc with the Topping DAC, but the case of the device has DSD printed on it.

Probably just need to go into the audio settings on your computer and select USB DAC as your output device. At least that's all that was needed with my D20 and Mac computers.

Good idea. I checked and the output is directed to a USB Audio DAC with the V-DAC connected. As soon as I switch to the D20 the USB Audio DAC connection is removed as an option and High Definition Audio Device defaulted to. That's what made me think that there may be a driver required. Thanks!

The SMSL Sanskrit came with a mini-disc labeled "DSD." Typical of Chi-Fi, however, no instructions. Presumably, the disc includes DSD drivers. I don't have DSD files on my computer, so I haven't messed with it.

No disc with the Topping DAC, but the case of the device has DSD printed on it.

I have no DSD files in my library either. Right, no disc with the D20.

The $100 includes the headphone amp but if you don't want it the D30 is still $85.
I thought that was the deal, too (which would be amazing)...

However, after checking into it more carefully it's $99.99 for the D30 alone, add $85 for the D30 plus the A30 headphone amp ($184.99 total for the combo), or you can get the A30 headphone amp by itself for $84.99

Still, it's a good deal and certainly less than you can these for on Amazon or elsewhere...

I am signed up with Massdrop and can see the prices to join the drop (purchase)...

The $99.99 base price is for the D30 DAC only. You have to add $85 to get both the D30 and the A30.

The way they have the drop titled and laid out does make it look like you get both for $99.99, but that is not the case.

"Note: The items on this drop are available separately or as a set. At checkout, choose the D30 DAC (base price), the A30 headphone amp (- $15), or both (+ $85). The A30 has a 110V or 220V selection at checkout. The D30 comes with a 110V/220V switching power supply; for D30, a US or EU cable will be chosen based on your location."

massdrop a.jpg

massdrop b.jpg

massdrop c.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom