$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

just recently got a d30 as a christmas gift. sent back an fx audio dac x6 that i was trying out as a "get me over" type solution. also recently found a rotel rcd-965bx to use as a transport.
definitely a huge difference with the d30. the x6 i was happy with and couldn't really say it was doing anything wrong, but it was just astonishing how many more levels of detail were revealed when switching to the d30. i was also amazed how much better the sound was when i got the rotel. i had been using the coax digital audio out of my cheapo samsung blu-ray.
even with the x6 the sound improved with (i resume) a cleaner digital source. and with the d30--as the late dick enberg would say, "oh my".....
AK has been a great resource to help find this DAC. probably wouldn't have been on my wishlist w/o the great testimonials and links I found here.

now if anybody has a line on a rr-901 remote or knows something compatible, my system will be complete.

I think we've all saved some money vs what might have been spent on pricier DAC's that don't sound any better. Glad I started this thread.

The Topping D30 Is the offramp on the way to the rabbit hole.

Clean reference uncolored sound for not much coin. Made from quality components.
Proof that a DAC can sound great and be affordable. No snake oil.

Eric

I have an SMSL M8 and an iFi Nano as well as a new TEAC UD-501. Both are decent but the new TEAC does things better. It has to do with better USB controller and better power in general. the TEAC just sounds better balanced over all, in my system. No snake oil here at all.

That's all that matters.

Eric

I'm torn between the D30 and SMSL Sanskrit. I'd probably go for the D30 if I knew FOR SURE that it would work with Android. It kind of sucks, because I know the Sanskrit will for sure, but the Topping has a lot more info and reviews from more trustworthy sources.

Actually, there is ONE thing I've found on Amazon stating the D30 doesn't work on Android.

FWIW I read on another forum that some of the eBay D30's may use a different board than the original Topping board.

I do believe the massdrop D30 is the real McCoy.

I've been using my D30 with my Note 3 phone and a generic android tablet with no issues. I do have a question concerning power. Can I power my devices by utilizing a usb hub between the D30 and my android devices? Thanks!

It would be good to know if these are all made by Topping, just different revisions, or if they are copies made by someone else.

Eric

It would be good to know if these are all made by Topping, just different revisions, or if they are copies made by someone else.

Eric
Mine will be here 1/4/18. I'll open the case and look. I do have access to pics of the first edition and the later boards.

Mine will be here 1/4/18. I'll open the case and look. I do have access to pics of the first edition and the later boards.

I had mine for a while, and never opened it. Ebay purchase.

Great sounding DAC, now I'm curious to pop it open tho haha.

Eric

Looks legit to me. The relay change and a cap addition from the first series pics. Chips are the same. If it sounds good no worries. :)

I'm wondering if the Topping DX7 at 4x the price delivered an SQ improvement over this? I need a second DAC and I'm looking for an upgrade but the price should stay below $500. The DX7 has all the features I need.

I was a happy user of a D30 for months now. My source is a Raspberry Pi running Runeaudio build. This is connected to the D30 through USB. After months of running fine it started acting up lately. Sometimes I get a static high pitch noise and no more sound at the beginning of a song. Then the Runeaudio software would not play anything. Switching the audio output interface in the software to Raspberry's own HDMI or analog shows that the song is playing (I can't hear it as I have not connected those outputs to anything). Changing songs would not produce music on the output of the DAC. The only thing that would solve the problem is turning off the D30 and turn it back on so it tells me that the D30 is the problem. But I did not change any setting or any component in the system in the last few months so it is odd... Does this sound like a software (Runeaudio or Raspberry build) or a hardware issue (D30) to you?

Did you ever solve the issue?

Back
Top Bottom