9900z

I know your comment is directed at the 9900Z, but when I had the G-9700 I drove the 4 ohm and not very efficient Infinty Qb and the not very efficient Advent Loudspeaker together, often at some considerable volume, and the big G never seemed to be distressed.
The TOTL Sansui models certainly never seemed to have been skimped on power output!
I agree it is a mystery.

Hi Pete:

Yeah, its odd because the Z-5000X I have from '84 (which I bought out of curiosity for $35 some time ago) is 70W, and alot smaller than the 9900Z receiver, yet the Z-5000X does have 4~16 ohms printed by the speaker terminals.

What was also really weird was the AU-D7 that was on Ebay recently that had 8~16 ohms shown, whereas mine is clearly labeled in the back as 4~16.

B/F

Hi BeatleFred. I recently scored a 9900Z. I know you had a question about running 3 pairs of speakers at once and the answer is - no it won't. There is a relay for each speaker button and you can run 2 pairs but if you try to push all 3 buttons on the relays cut the power to all 3 pairs. If you would like - I can hook this up to 4 ohm speakers and give the results.

I forgot to mention - No wonder this one has a fan - It runs pretty hot with a 8 ohm load just sitting idle and at low volume. Have yet to see the fan running - maybe I better check that.

Hi R&R:

Maybe I asked the question, I dont recall, but I am already aware of the fact that just about all receivers cannot switch more than two pairs of speakers at the same time, because every pair thats hooked up would halve the impedance. So adding a 3rd pair of 8 ohm spkrs would result in the impedance dropping below 4 ohms at which point the receiver in question would begin to feel the "strain"- however, the degree to which this happens is variable since impedance is not a fixed value, it varies higher and lower over the audible freq range, and each speaker has its own unique impedance curve- so it also depends on which speakers you have connected , & other factors come into play - taking into account how the particular receiver is built- how hefty its power supply is, how many pairs of power output transistors etc..

You mentioned that your 9900Z gets quite warm. Does it stay that way after you stop playing music thru it and its just idling? Its quite possible you might need to check the dc offset and adjust the bias cuurent- see EW's post in the other forum, the General forum, I believe it is, or perhaps Vintage SS, it explains the procedure. I dont think the fan should come on unless the unit is really being driven hard. My 300W BA-5000 power amp, for example, has a fan but it takes a temperature of almost 160 degress F before the fan should activate.

B/F

Back
Top Bottom