990DB Case Repair

CDFixer

Number 1 USC Trojan Fan
I just repaired the case of the 990DB that UPS busted. I haven't quite finished, it only has the first coat of stain on it. I think I looks quite nice for an amateur. I plan on another coat of stain, then a polyurathane finish.

Wow...that's looking really good! But that's the nice thing about real wood...try this with plastic! :D That walnut Sansui used looks like it fixes up nicely.

Still haven't gotten 'round to ordering new vinyl laminate from PE...I want to recover my 6060 and my daily-driver SX-780 in that Cherry finish they have. The 6060 especially needs new laminate. Too bad they didn't use real walnut like the 9090/990 series had. I've only seen one 9090 in the flesh, and man the cabinet was handsome. But even the vinyl-veneer cabs the lower units used look better than today's BPC... :puke:

TP

TP, I have taken several 8080DBs that had the vinyl covered case and stripped the vinyl off and relaminated with with walnut veneer. They look real great. Maybe you should try that with the 6060.

8080 case vinyl

Hey B3nut! Didn't you refinish one of your receivers with the vinyl from Home Despot or someplace? I tried to re-vinyl my 8080 with the stuff from Menards and I never could get it to stick w/o bubbles. So what's the secret?

Nope...'twasn't me, but then again I didn't know they sold any there. Still, the stuff from PE seems the way to go from what I've read....

TP, drinking coffee and listening to the 6060...chillin with some Steely Dan...

B3Nut - where are you?

Todd:

Had to track you down (searched you out).

I am listening to some classic Booker T and the MG's and that got me to thinking about you and your Hammond!!

How are ya?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom