1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

A 10 minute Doorbell job that turned into a complete failure

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Hajidub, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

So my in-laws call me to install one of those video doorbells, no problem mom. Drill, mount the new bracket, wire it up (red and white wire), no power to the unit. Oh btw, she mentions the regular doorbell stopped working about 5 years ago. Call my son and have him bring my multimeter. No voltage at the doorbell. Move on to the chime box, get connectivity to the button, get connectivity to the t-former. Oh the chime must be crap. Drive across town, buy a new one at Home Depot. Remount, wire up, and still nothing. Maybe I wired it wrong (which is next to impossible) so I hard wire the doorbell so it should always be on, nothing. I ask where their transformer for the doorbell is, no idea house was built in 84'. I pull a large lightswitch cover off to see if it's close to the button, check the crawlspace, and the attic, nothing. Even pulled the fuse box metal casing off the garage door to see if they stuck in there, nope. I told them an electrician with the tools to trace the wiring might have better luck, btw this was 4 hours into the 10 minute job.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

3. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Our transformer is located above the walk-in door in the garage.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  4. SolderIron

SolderIron Super Member

I bet it is covered over by the sheet rock. If you looked and can't find it, it will be cheaper and quicker to hook up a new transformer (10-20 bucks if you don't already have one in the junk box).

5. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

My transformer was in the basement right next to a light bulb fixture.
    Usually a 10min. job takes at least 3 trips to the hardware store.

roger2 likes this.
  6. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

I found mine, it’s attached to the on/off light switch mounted on my furnace. I bet in laws is also since the chime box is directly above their furnace in the crawl space.

UncleBingo likes this.

7. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

It’s called: THE HIDDEN BUMMER FACTOR

8. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

My door bell install went sideways as well but at least I can claim (eventual) success. My original transformer was miles (or so it seems) away from the button and chime. Mounted the new transfo, it didn't work. The original wiring had broken somewhere. New wire, still no joy. The wire hookup diagram was not helpful and I suspect wrong. The old transfo went back in and after some trial and error, it worked.

9. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep... my transformer is by the furnace and the chime is in the stairwell ceiling (of all accursed places...).

Hajidub likes this.
  10. mfrench

mfrench Addicted Member

In my old house, it was buried in the wall, under the drywall, mounted to the opposite side of the stud as the outlet jnction box was mounted to. They drilled through the junction box, and stud, and ran wire from the j.box, to the transformer, and covered it all over.
    This played havoc with the front room stereo system; constant buzzing issues. Made me crazy. Then the outlet died, and I needed to replace it. When I opened the j.box, to remove the outlet, I found the extra wire set; and, on the opposite side of a wall, inside a closet, behind a bunch of stuff, was evidence of where there had been a cut made in the drywall, so I opened it and found the transformer; Stereo buzz issue solved.

New place: mystery item. not yet found.

UncleBingo and I LIKE MUSIC like this.
  11. kaplang

kaplang Works for me ! Subscriber

Door knocker. Low tech.

gadget73 likes this.