A $1000 budget for headphones. What would you do?

Stax and sennheiser's are the most popular and are great but not the end all imo. I was not a fan of 407''s, 507's, and hd700's. Thought they outright stunk. Airbow's, hd650's and 800's are awesome though to me.

The 207 has always been the pick of the current Lambda bunch. The slightly more shelved-down treble reduces the audibility of the plasticky colouration imparted by the sub-optimal earcup architecture of Lambdas in general, allowing you to hear more of the driver's excellence.

The wiki link worked ! Stereophile link didn't work, google to read review.

There is an Airbow SR-SC1-modified Stax SR-404 used for sale (no affiliation here) just put up today on CAM - Canuck Audio Mart at $600, and add SH. He also has a Stax SRD-7 modified with 1 Pro-Bias jack to match them if needed. Same add is now up on headffi also for $500. I think the Airbow run new for $565 plus SH on PriceJapan. Brand new SR-407 run $520 but are not DCT cryo-treated, as in Airbow. Maybe seller will accept offers, dunno.

First I ever saw a used Airbow for sale. Just mentioning, as maybe some here may be interested, as the topic has come up on the thread.

The Wikiphonia "Orthodynamic Headphones Rating Chart" is meaningful for anyone seeking planars, and it's good to read over & again thru the years.

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Orthodynamic_Headphones_Ratings_Chart

If link fails, it gets to the wikiphonia site, with much there all over to read...the Orthodynamic Ratings Chart is there in main page index.

Much of the detail is found in the related Head-Fi thread "Orthodynamic Roundup" (very long).

Another classic to review time & again is David Mahler's Head-Fi Mega-review "Battle of the Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)".

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared

Many here surely have read this many times, but maybe some AK'er's have not yet seen it - a must reference.

There are also some electrostatic threads on Head-Fi site, especially lots to read about Stax, and then there is also the Head-Fi Buyer's Guide too.
Maybe of some help for some here.

Last edited:
The 207 has always been the pick of the current Lambda bunch. The slightly more shelved-down treble reduces the audibility of the plasticky colouration imparted by the sub-optimal earcup architecture of Lambdas in general, allowing you to hear more of the driver's excellence.

Don't know about the 207 but spritzers fav. lambda's are the 404le and sr-sc-1. He has yet to hear the sr-sc-11 and 21 but I would expect good things.

The wiki link worked ! Stereophile link didn't work, google to read review.

There is an Airbow SR-SC1-modified Stax SR-404 used for sale (no affiliation here) just put up today on CAM - Canuck Audio Mart at $600, and add SH. He also has a Stax SRD-7 modified with 1 Pro-Bias jack to match them if needed. Same add is now up on headffi also for $500. I think the Airbow run new for $565 plus SH on PriceJapan. Brand new SR-407 run $520 but are not DCT cryo-treated, as in Airbow. Maybe seller will accept offers, dunno.

First I ever saw a used Airbow for sale. Just mentioning, as maybe some here may be interested, as the topic has come up on the thread.

I just looked it up and the 407 is only $395 + ship and the sr-sc-11 shot up tremendous all the way up to $920 + ship. Glad I got mine for $800 when I did. Some sort of review had to come out recently cause it was only $650 a few weeks ago and the original sr-sc-1 is still at $650...???

With that kind of price difference it might make it harder to say which is the better deal but I still think I would go with the airbow. It keeps up with the more expensive lcd-x and hd800 imo. not kidding, where the 407 and 507 does not come close at all at to keeping up. The cryo treatment is bologna. It is a stax modified driver like the 404le. That is what makes it sound much better not cryo treatment.

Not sure why stax went this route. It was a for sure fail in the states. I have not come across any other owners in the states and I'm very active on several headphone sites. It's been out for quite a while too, at least a year.

Honestly, I'd buy a good used pair of Realistic Pro-50's that were German manufacture AKG k240's with a Realistic name on them. Absolutely superior phones. I've owned a pair since about 1981 or 1982 ish and honestly they blow any headphone I have ever heard since right out of the water, and they stand up to time. Mine look brand new today and perform as such. I've seen them for well under $50 on eBay from owners whom don't know the quality these phones possess.

I'd then sink the rest of the money into Vinyl or a new Cart or Amp.

My 2 1/2 cents worth.

Buy a set of Nakamichi over the ear headphones clearance priced from Kmart for $9. I can't hear much above 14 khz anyway.

Buy a set of Nakamichi over the ear headphones clearance priced from Kmart for $9. I can't hear much above 14 khz anyway.

Jokes. JOKEZ.

If you're going to treat any aspect of audio like "buy the cheapest thing that makes noise and be done with it" then what are you even doing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard or can report on these new models:

Audioquest Nighthawk headphone (@ $600). They should be available soon. I read some mixed reactions about these from those that have already heard them. Semi-open 50 mm biocellulose driver, rubber surrounds, liquid-wood cups, special magnet type. Interesting development, see how audio results.

Audeze EL-8 planar models, open or closed back (@ $600-700).

McIntosh/Beyer MHP1000 dynamic model is now also released for selling. I think they are at $2000, maybe $3000 and matched amp adds another $4500 ! whoa, thought these were to emerge 10X less, news misinfo from press; priced as expected, though, maybe considering other great McIntosh gear.

Oppo newest planar models - now they have PM-1, PM-2, PM-3. I think the PM-3 is closed-back (@ $1100, $700, $400). PM-1 have appeared on thread.

HiFiMan HE-1000 flagship planar (@ $3000). Wonder if they dropped the electrostatic idea in works, or are still pursuing it after Jade.

KingSound added to their electrostatic models -now they have KS-H2, KS-H3, and the new KS-H4 (@ $900) very close in price to KS-H3.

Taket still making H-2N piezo-Heil type (@ $1250).

Enigma Acoustics Darma hybrid electrostatic/dynamic. I think Ty at InnerFidelity is reviewing it soon. (@ $1200 - $1500).

Pioneer SE-Master 1 flagship dynamic (@ $2200).

Mr Speakers Ether new planar model (@ $1500).

ESS RLM-713 hybrid HEIL/dynamic at.......(@$300).

Rumor on Sennheiser Orpheus-2 electrostatic or a planar model maybe in the works.

Interesting new headphones.

Any news welcome.

Last edited:
Offer some help for JoeESP9:

Many buy new STAX from PriceJapan -they have they best price, I think, anywhere. Many like to buy the headphones there. I think the amps may all be 100v Japan voltage sold there, so keep that in mind, but maybe a 120v USA version can be requested & bought from them. You can run a step transformer for the 100v models, but it's nice to avoid that if you can get the USA voltage unit, since it is available.

I think there are only 3 USA STAX dealers -Elusive Disc, Woo Audio and Yamas. Woo Audio likes to sell their own brand fine amps, but you can always get the headphones there ($580) if you want a STAX amp from Elusive Disc or Yamas. Some like the Woo amps, and others go with STAX amps. STAX makes very fine amps and both brands are great. I think Yamas is sold direct thru the STAX website on checkout, but not sure.

The 407 is on PriceJapan for $396. The recommended SRM-006ts amp is alone $814 there, but as a combo (again 100 v) is $1163 together as a package - maybe they can substitute the 120 v USA version.

Not sure if SRM-323S or SRM-252S amps will work (almost certain the 323 will work together), but maybe it will with 407's -others here can reply, or spritzer on head-fi (and here on AK) knows. If so, you can "get into" your set for less, but probably will want to eventually move up to the 006 amp to maximize the 407 potential, which most all will probably say is preferred. Some may advise maybe that the lesser two amps are "under" the threshold for 407 performance, so it may take some checking.

If they match & work together well, you then later could sell the lesser amp(s) on head-fi and then uprade to a new 006 when right for you, or grab a mint used 006 off head-fi. You can also buy the headphone-amp combo used mint off head-fi, members take good care of their gear there and disclose honestly overall about their sales, and they like to sell to another head-fi'er. (it's how I got my SR-Lambda Normal bias system).

For USA voltage, Elusive Disc and also the STAX-USA division site direct (? thru Yamas ?) sells the amps SRM-006ts together with 407 headphones for $1775, or headphones alone for $520 or amp alone for $1325. They sell the SRM-323S amp for $875, and SRM-252S amp for $450. Also keep in mind if you want the tube (006) or solid-state amp(s) in your choice.

Highly recommend your STAX interest; I thoroughly enjoy my original SR-Lambda Normal Bias version with SRD-7SB self bias box, an overall sonic benchmark for Stax among their models, even to today. And also thoroughly enjoy my later era STAX SR-202 with SRM-212 Pro bias Basic System II SRS-2020. Could not be happier.

Wish you the best in your search; STAX are worthwhile for sure.

They are tuff to find audition demo locations.

Last edited:
Also, a possibility, but not sure how well it matches the STAX SR-407, is maybe the WOO Audio WEE model ($500 new) converter box. I think it may work, not sure how well. Spritzer would know. If it works, it's an alternate way to "get into" all new units, and then eventually maybe move up to a higher amp. Getting in this way would total $896 and would need comparison to if the SRM-252S could be matched as well which would total $846 with your headphones, a close price difference. Not sure how these two boxes compare to each other, some digging is needed. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Also, on PriceJapan you can clic certain choices for package matched sets.

The SR-407 with SRM-323S amp (it's a very good amp) together, I think new ships at $900 complete which includes shipping. That is for 100 v version amp, not sure about 120 USA v version - would have to write them to ask. I think the 2 units total $765 and shipping of $135 totals the $900, but not sure if the quotes are right.

For a step-transformer, I use a PowerBright VC500J with OTHER audio components (not STAX) to very successfully regulate the 100 volt Japan gear. You can get it for $30 on Amazon and is a sturdy 500 watt unit.
There are folks that use this unit for running 100v STAX amps in USA.

Still, I would get the 120 volt USA version amp, since it's available, easier, and save an extra part. I only use my step transformer because the particular audio unit it runs was only manufactured for 100 volts.

Don't know about the 207 but spritzers fav. lambda's are the 404le and sr-sc-1. He has yet to hear the sr-sc-11 and 21 but I would expect good things.

Not really. From what I've read on Head-Case, Spritzer hates the 404LE but prefers the Airbow.

The $488 price for the 407 was from Japan. I figured I'd get the phones from them and the energizer from a US dealer. I don't want to take a chance of getting a 100V version.

Thanks for the tip about Price Japan. I'll check them out.

Well guys, I sold my beyerdynamic a1 amplifier. It was a great match for the Audeze LCD-2s, however the reason I sold it is because I finally got my tubed Sansui 500a in operation. Before I got the beyerdynamic, I used this receiver with the Audeze LCD-2s with great results, the unfortunate thing is it had issues at the time and it took me until a couple weeks ago to resolve them. I purchased the beyerdynamic a1 thinking that it would be the dedicated amplifier for the LCD-2s.

However, once the Sansui 500a came into the picture, I decided I would do a shootout between the beyerdynamic a1 and the Sansui 500a to see which I would prefer for the LCD-2s. I was also curious as well to see how the Sansui 500a would stand against a standalone, dedicated headphone amplifier with an MSRP north of $1000.

To conduct this shootout, I decided to involve my wife's ears as she is a lot less biased than I am and also has not invested the 40 hours into the Sansui to restore it. I figured a second opinion would be smart in order to properly ascertain which one is really better.

With that, I conducted the following listening test. I chose 5 songs for 5 different categories where I felt would be important to listen for between the two. While I had my wife listen, I would play one minute of the song on each, and I had her face away from both units so she did not know which one she was listening to. I also changed the order of which one I had her listen to so that she really didn't know.

The test went as follows. Between the two, I would put which one is better by indicating a '+' and also I would indicate how much better by using one, two or three '+'s.

+ = Slightly better
++ = A decent amount better
+++ = Quite a bit better

Category 1: Rhythm
Rhythm, as in the motion of the music, the space between the notes. How well does the unit make you feel the rhythm of the music?
Song: Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Rating:
Sansui ++
beyerdynamic

Category 2: Detail Retrieval
How much into the recording can you hear? Terms such as space, atmosphere, microdetail apply here.
Song: Acoustic Alchemy - Mr. Chow

Rating:
Sansui +++
beyerdynamic

Category 3: Fidelity
How natural does the recording sound? As in, do instruments have proper timbre? How believable does it sound?
Song: Joni Mitchell, A Case Of You

Rating:
Sansui +
beyerdynamic

Category 4: Bass
What is the quality of the bass? Loose, flappy, overextended, or is it lean, tight and controlled?
Song: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Rating:
Sansui
beyerdynamic +++

Category 5: Imaging
How well can you pinpoint instruments and do they appear to be in their own space?
Song: Jazz at the Pawnshop, Now's The Time

Rating:
Sansui
beyerdynamic ++

As you can see, the Sansui won in 3/5 categories, and impressively was much more detailed sounding. Overall, the Sansui has a richer, more compelling and musically appealing sound. Not surprisingly, the beyerdynamic has far better bass. Perhaps on the LCD-2, you might suggest that this is an important area but, not for my listening preference. I'm fine with a looser sounding bass and trading off for better rhythmic performance and detail retrieval.

Obviously, there could be many reasons why the beyerdynamic a1 was not better in many of these categories. It could be not as good of a match, perhaps the Sansui 500a really is just a better unit in those other areas, and of course some of it is listening preference. I didn't hear any of these recordings in the studio when they were recorded so my reference point (and my wife's) is certainly not an accurate representation of the music, so the main criterion here was enjoyability.

Anyway, I thought I would share as I found it rather interesting the Sansui 500a came out on top in many important areas. It being a nearly 50 year old piece of equipment (restored, of course) compared against a dedicated headphone amplifier that is only a few years old with much newer technology, and holding its own just fine, suggests that you might be able to get away with receivers with headphone outputs sometimes. I would still suggest a dedicated headphone amplifier is the way to go, since receivers can be a crapshoot, but if you are on a short budget (as I was) you could perhaps find synergy with an integrated or receiver.

JoeESP9, there is also the STAX dealer "HeadAmp" in Virginia, forgot about that one. I'm not sure who else sells them in the States, besides the 4 mentioned.

The SR-407 headphones will work with either solid state amp, the SRM-252S or the SRM-323S. Both are excellent amps, and the sonics on the SRM-252 stay tight until it is pushed too hard. Either will work. I like solid state amps. At almost double the price, the 323 is better, but the 252 is a great performer. Stax amps are fine units.

Good point keeping with 120 volts from a USA dealer. If the other sellers in Japan mess-up a requested 120 volt unit and send the 100 volt unit in error, then return shipping charges might come into play offsetting savings & a long wait to get the right voltage unit, unless they cover fees.

The new SR-407 is a nice choice. SR-207 is also well-liked by many.

Seems the STAX experts who heard all STAX models from the earliest onward most recommend:

SR-Lambda Nova Signature, SR-Lambda Nova Classic
SR-404 Limited Edition (LE), Airbow SR-SC1, SR-404 (all 404 Lambdas)
SR-Lambda Normal Bias
SR-202 (Lambda)

As brand new, they say SR-407 and SR-207 seem to be closest to above. It's great to get a brand new set fresh from the factory !

The Lambda SR-404 Limited Edition as used and Airbow SR-SC-1 or 11 or 21 as used or new get well up in price + must add in price of matching STAX amp.

Not a lot of folks have heard the Airbows' 3 models, maybe more in Japan, wish we had impressions of all 3 models - really seem to be super-STAX mods.

Airbow SR-SC-1 is modded SR-404, SR-SC-11 is modded SR-407, SR-SC-21 is modded SR-507.

Some don't care for the SR-007 Omega II MKII, (and also original 007 and Omega) but some do like them.

The SR-009 is on a very high price level & is liked by the lucky to have.

Plus, the brand new/used STAX amps matching the models 007, Omega, 009 headphones get very expensive, so the systems are very pricey all together.

The best values per sound seem to be Lambda SR-202, SR-Lambda Normal Bias, Lambda SR-404, Lambda Nova Classic & Lambda Nova Signature.

STAX are exceptional electrostatic headphones, so models not listed are also fine reproducers, and those models have many fans.

Many experts prefer the older lines series(s) over the new current series, with exception to current 009 and 007.

There are many hundreds if not thousands of pages to read about this line-up & ranking for the real fine sonic-details in The Headcase Stax Thread and couple of Head-Fi Stax (I, II, III, etc.) Threads. It's hard to read it all -would take forever, unless jumped in earlier years ago and kept up since then. But googling the site thread name along with the specific model (s) brings up fast reference pages that are enjoyable to learn from.

Those expert guys check in here too, and are really knowledgeable fellows, have learned a great deal from them; they know the finest nuances for STAX.

Last edited:
As soon as I finish paying for the new water line and my real estate taxes I think I'll order a pair of the SR-307 (they don't seem to list the SR-207) phones from Price Japan. I'll get the "energizer" from a US dealer.

:beerchug:

See your Combat zone, Philly !

Used to live on corner of W. Ontario st. & N. Park ave. in North Philly for a few years...loved Philly ! Got into Sigma Sound Studios downtown there too, Joe Tarsia was the best, and Grover Washington's room there was remarkable in how they "suspended" the whole studio-room; it actually floated on a suspension. Philly rocks.

Cheers, mate !

Back
Top Bottom