A $1000 budget for headphones. What would you do?

Hey all,

A recent decision has lead me to dismantle my second stereo set-up. I have sold off the amplifier from that stereo, but I still have the speakers. I was thinking of using them as rears but, I don't really do surround much.. if at all. These would be my Kef LS50s and would be worth $1000-$1100.

I bought my wife a pair of Sennheiser Amperior's and man are they good! I am really impressed with the sound quality they can produce, so then I thought, what if I had a nice pair of audiophile 'phones that I could use when the main stereo is being used by my wife? That was the whole point of the Kefs, but it would avoid the acoustic problems I had with that stereo which would be perfect.

So, with $1000, what would you guys do? Right now I have two stereos with headphone outputs, one is the bedroom stereo with a Sansui AU-555a with a turntable and tuner hooked up. The other stereo is the main one which has high end components, a Denon DP-A100, and a Yamaha RX-V1. I'm not concerned about portability as this is strictly at home listening, but I would imagine much of my listening would be done on the bedroom stereo. However my question would be, is it worth it to instead invest say, $700 in headphones and the other $300 into a headphone amplifier/DAC (say, to use with my ipod as a source)? Or would I be all right using my current set-ups with some higher end headphones?

I won't be asking for suggestions on headphones at this point but, feel free to chime in with one if you think there is one I should be really considering. I love the way the Kefs sound so something similar would be real nice. They are neutral, and very natural sounding, with tons of detail. The bass is also very nice and taut.. just an all around balanced packaged, and that is what I'm after, which could be a challenge. But we'll see!

For $1K for Headphones???

Based on past experience, if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

$1,000.00?? I would do Sennheiser HD-650's all over again. They list for $500.00, and often, I find them on sale for $300.00 to $400.00.

Airy highs, a clear, crystal like and neutral midband (you can hear well into the stage) and an extended and tight bass response. They deliver the kind of sound (to MY ears anyway) that you would otherwise expect from a good $2K to $3K Speaker System.

I'm still at a crossroads as to what Headphone Amplifier I would pick to drive these babies, but I would look at something that is going to be $400.00 and up (which could possibly blow the $1K budget out of the water). I would consider spending at least that much, if not more to listen seriously at home.

Otherwise on the go, I would go with a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc for tunes on the go to use the Sennheiser HD-650's with my i-Pod or i-Phone.

But start with the Sennheiser HD-650's and then consider starting at $400.00 to about $600.00 to start on a good stay at home Component Type Headphone Amplifier (but I like Oppo's Headphone Amplifier, but it's priced at $1,100.00, which is probably more than you want to spend, but I like it though). If you can spend more, great. If not, then there should be plenty of VERY GOOD Headphone Amplifiers for about $250.00 to $400.00 and up.

Good Luck and Happy Listening.

--Charles--

For Airbow, anyone know if the headphone amps they stamp "AB" for Airbow are modified, or are they straight STAX amps rebadged ? Also not sure which Airbow amps have been available.

I think there is a SRM-253 Airbow amp, and maybe ? a SRM-252A Airbow amp ? What's the mod/non-mod scoop & which models are/were made for Airbow amps ?

Interesting... I only knew of airbow through pricejapan.

Stax amps have a decent reputation but I would go for a used 727ii, which is fairly high up the food chain, but used not so bad. The reasons being that the airbow is very revealing. I was a driver first kind of guy until I heard my used auralic mx+, 727ii, sr-sc-11. Used the amp and dac individually were decently more than the headphone new, but the sound was incredible.

The 727ii also has xlr and rca input as well as parallel outs which is awesome. I use the parallel outs to run my demo hd800/wheatfield ha-2 which set me back the same from ttvj as the sr-sc-11/727ii and as good as the hd800/wheatfield is it really needs a good $300 worth of tubes to match the airbow/727ii. With the $550 worth of tubes I have in it now I would say it is more preferable but now it is $550 more and the more preferable will be more temporary than the stax setup most likely.

All you have to look for on the 727 is the "ii" for 120v U.S. so no need to buy from from a U.S. vendor imo. I have seen quite a few of these pop up recently with spritzer starting mjolnir and Justin still doing his thing.

It eats up the entire $1k budget but that's what I would get. Don't skimp on the source either.

Very, very nice rigs.

Great info too - the 727 having XLR ins and a parallel out is really versatile.
Those outs are nice when wanting to quickly switch cans and back again.

The amp quest may come in the future, and it would bring the SR-202 to their ultimate, many say the SR-202 and SR-Lambda Nova Signature are so very close in sound all around.

Your'e right, putting the $ into the amp can boost more notches upward than dumping the $ on cans with a lesser amp, if the starting cans are worthwhile.

I can also play around with the SR-Lambda Normal Bias and either that could improve with a upward sole amp or even try the STAX that has both inputs for Normal and Pro bias. SRM-T1 and SRM-1/Mk2Pro had both biases, maybe some other models too, I forget which are the best for both biases. Only thing worrying about that is if I screw up 1 day and plug the SR-NB into the Pro socket by accident, then they're done. It does, however give the dual option for driving either the SR-Lambda or the 202's. Not sure how those amps rate. As now getting older, I could always "color-code" the sockets with their matching plugs with colored electrical tape so it's an unlikely screw-up.

For a long while I should enjoy the entry 212 amp and entry SRD-7SB energizer box to get accustomed to the sound...they are both just sensational. It's said the SR-Lambda Normal Bias and SR-404LE Limited Edition version are so very close in overall sound. For a better STAX, I 'd have to jump over my two up to an Airbow to notice a really significant sonic improvement overall or 007 used or new - that 007 combo with amp would run a couple grand new or used though, so it's too much. The 007 also has a different presentation compared to all the Lambdas whose sound I like now. So, very happy with the two cans. For now, I'm running some super vintage hifi amps, and know the SRM212 ultimately may limit those sonics (?maybe?), but maybe less so for the SRD-7SB.

The 3 Airbow models must really be something. Good advice about the STAX 727 ii version for 120 volts.

Yes, the AB amp is seen on Sound Visual Shop - Japan (ippikan), and then AB is sold on PriceJapan, but I wonder how many other places in Japan are authorized dealers ? Maybe the STAX site locator for Japan will show more. There are a lot of sellers on ebay (new) for STAX, but not sure if they are authorized dealers. But AB may be exclusive for STAX to only allow a handful of dealers. PriceJapan is the go-to proven site.

Cool you bought from Todd, seems to be a good place too. Nice to see Spritzer's got his amps out; his and KG's must both be very fine amps.

Funny how the very first really great headphones I ever heard in the mid 1970's were the Koss HV/1 (NON-cone dynamic) and just loved the sound. The first headphones I bought for serious listening were the STAX SR-30 Pro electret in the mid 1980's, both are which still great today. Then thru the journey of some super sets, dynamic-electret-magnetic planar, all of which can hold their own, came full-circle right back to electrostatics with the great Koss ESP/9B and then the two stellar STAX sets in the end. They are precise replicating "real" music, and speed demons in the transients just like the instruments playing the music.

Still have a curiousity for Koss ESP-950 & may pick up a set in the future - I hear driving them with a STAX amp is just remarkable. Just need the adaptor cable, bias voltage is OK.

If HiFIMan can equal or better Jade in their proposed new electrostatic, but...hold the quality-control issue to the tightest standards, that may be something new to hear, who knows yet, too early to tell, and they may have stalled on it or delayed it for now.

Last edited:
I still think the Jade2 is a long ways away. Fang has said the he-1k is to compete directly with the sr-009. He has also said there is to be a he-7 and a model in between the he-560 and he-1k so maybe several years.

The koss esp-950 is no joke. Def. my fav. lambda other than the airbow and "le" model stax lambda's. The problem with the 950 is poor build quality and a very much catch22 on the lifetime warranty. The lady you have to talk to on the phone to get a replacement phone has a horrible reputation for being rude and I 100% agree and they do not send you a new headphone but a refurbished phone. The box on my replacement phone was so old it was disintegrating, turning into dust which is terrible thing for a stat headphone.

It's great to see Fang working on new things & his latest release. It helps to encourage competiton for other mfr's to also research & produce a significant headphone also. Taking on the 009 is not easy & we all watch as the movie unfolds. Fang may come in at a good price for some of those new models in deveopment, although it looks like he may be going upward in level. I hope he releases some with the HE-560 signature, not as warm, more leaning bright, just for some variety in choice.

Is it possible if an ESP-950 ever needs repair, to specifically request your exact-same headphone returned after the refurb...same serial # ? Even if it takes a long wait, it may be a good direction if they allow that request. Wonder if anyone has tried this.

In addition to the airbow-11 and SR-404LE, have you heard or owned any other STAX models ? I've only heard my 4 models and 3 are very impressive.

Wonder how many handful McIntosh will sell if their point is priced around the 009 ? May be only for the true M-fan, just to have the whole line-up.

Have you heard any price or impressions on the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma yet ? I heard maybe $1200, for the Stat/dynamic. If they're looking for some bass, the SR-Lambda Pro model has some of the best stat bass & may be a reference for their integration. Some of these hybrid designs have trouble with smooth, seamless transition and linear bandwidth releative to both drivers, but this one may possibly do it better. Buzzing interest on HF has at least 1 long thread near 400 posts, awaiting to see sound impressions (Tyell from I-F, anyone).

It's over the thread price point, but curious how the Abyss stacks up vs the 007 and 009 ? Seem to recall reading of those who heard both or all 3 said the Abyss came up real short all-around, with only some nice mids that were relevant.

Last edited:
Also, how did the working ESP-950 sound, (aside from repair issues), compared to all the STAX you heard ? Curious.

Canuckaudiog,

I love your testing methodology in getting the wife involved in a blind test. Sansui made some GREAT gear. The solid state 5500 was my first real piece of hifi. Outstanding build and quality.

I'm not surprised a Sansui of that pedigree won the overall shoot out. One of these days I'm going take my time with some tube gear and figure out the broad appeal.

I've got pair of Sennheiser HD700 coming. Maybe a good tube headphone amp will be a good place to start the discovery. I listened to a broad segment of headphones, including Beyerdynamic and other Sennheisers. The HD700's to my ears presented the best soundstage. Plus I find them VERY comfortable.

Really nice review Canuckaudiog! Thanks:thmbsp:

Hey all,

A recent decision has lead me to dismantle my second stereo set-up. I have sold off the amplifier from that stereo, but I still have the speakers. I was thinking of using them as rears but, I don't really do surround much.. if at all. These would be my Kef LS50s and would be worth $1000-$1100.

I bought my wife a pair of Sennheiser Amperior's and man are they good! I am really impressed with the sound quality they can produce, so then I thought, what if I had a nice pair of audiophile 'phones that I could use when the main stereo is being used by my wife? That was the whole point of the Kefs, but it would avoid the acoustic problems I had with that stereo which would be perfect.

So, with $1000, what would you guys do? Right now I have two stereos with headphone outputs, one is the bedroom stereo with a Sansui AU-555a with a turntable and tuner hooked up. The other stereo is the main one which has high end components, a Denon DP-A100, and a Yamaha RX-V1. I'm not concerned about portability as this is strictly at home listening, but I would imagine much of my listening would be done on the bedroom stereo. However my question would be, is it worth it to instead invest say, $700 in headphones and the other $300 into a headphone amplifier/DAC (say, to use with my ipod as a source)? Or would I be all right using my current set-ups with some higher end headphones?

I won't be asking for suggestions on headphones at this point but, feel free to chime in with one if you think there is one I should be really considering. I love the way the Kefs sound so something similar would be real nice. They are neutral, and very natural sounding, with tons of detail. The bass is also very nice and taut.. just an all around balanced packaged, and that is what I'm after, which could be a challenge. But we'll see!

go for the sennheiser's :music:

I would personally suggest getting the Fiio E17 , and the HifiMan HE - 400 , however those together come in way under budget.

The Fiio at about $120 and the HE-400 at $400 , however pairing a stronger HifiMan headphone with the Fiio would be ill advised, as the Fiio wouldn't be able to properly power one of it's larger siblings like the HE-4 or HE-500 .

But perhaps getting a stronger amp would be a good idea, I have several, but my E17 still is my goto amp when i'm out and about, even if i have replacement amp for desktop use I still appreciate the power of the E17 :)

Also, how did the working ESP-950 sound, (aside from repair issues), compared to all the STAX you heard ? Curious.

The esp950's sounded awesome till a channel would go out. Up there with everyone's fav. "the sennheisers". The stax models I have owned are the 407, 007mk2(sz3), and sr-sc-11. I have listened to someone else's 507's and found them no different to the 407's which I was not the biggest fan of.

The 007mk2 I was on the fence about. The detail is crazy. Even more detailed than the hd800 which is 2nd place for me. It was almost too detailed though, taking away from the meat of the music, and almost fleshing out the details to the point where that's all you were listening too. This was the most current sz3 model which has gotten somewhat of a bad rap compared to the pre sz3 model, basically trading easy driver installation for sound quality. The old models they did blind if I'm not mistaken.

The oo7mk2's are also the least sensitive and it took all of the 727ii to drive it. They really benefit from a more powerful KGSS, BHSE than even the higher up 009.

The sr-sc-11 just really does it for me. Very detailed but not too detailed and oh so effortless without the annoying treble and thin bass of the 407. If it were not in need of a source and amp that is in the same league it would be my hands down fav. at $1k. Hopefully the price goes down. I saw them as low as $700 at one point on pricejapan.

Impressions are one thing but I still think you should try out headphones first hand in a nice quiet room with a proper listening chair (lazyboy). As you can see only one out of 4 stax models "did it" for me and sennheiser hd700's are the largest disappointment to me out of 20 $500-$2k headphones, so going with what's "popular" is a very poor decision in my books. The cable co. only charges a 5% return fee and has some really nice headphones to listen too.

The Cable Co has a clever idea going on about borrowing. Wonder how many other places offer this ? It is hard to find places to hear cans without a far drive. To reach 1 dealer & get back home can be a couple hours in the car round trip + listening time. The Cable Co is only 1 and 1/2 hours away driving time, and is a one-stop place rather than driving around to various dealers which takes many hours just in the car. I guess shipping is an option too, for lending. It gives me the idea to maybe try the HE-560 this way out of curiousity. I wonder how they sound vs STAX, and could A-B test them right at home. Thanks for that idea.

Heard many similar findings to what you found with the 007, 407 & 507. Many like the prior series better than the current series & sold their new models, keeping their older ones.

Seems most of the experts prefer or the way to go is-

the 3 Airbow models
Nova Signature, Nova Classic
SR-Lambda Normal Bias
404LE, 202, 404

Plus current 009 notwithstanding price there + costly amp.

A good point on SR-Lambda Normal Bias is ability to run it with SRD-7SB energizer (highly rated sonically) box, putting most of the sonic critique on sourcing amp. As long as the sourcing hifi amp is very fine, it saves having to buy a STAX amp. The cans, although do reach their full potential if a STAX amp is added inline together with that fine sourcing hifi amp, from what others say.

303 fell short in its series and although Lambda Pro may have the best Lambda bass (a great point to consider), it varied in other ways. Some may like any STAX model however, like the Pro has some bass attributes, and we're picking out the finer points for which models are most recommended, and some may instead want a fresh brand new series set, understandably.

Very satisfied with my current line-up & based on the deals I got, would need to spend way too much (double to 4-fold !!! more and up) on cans to better what have now, not willing to do so.

I would grab a set of ESP950 as my final set; those running 'em on a STAX amp say it's stellar, and who knows about future models - maybe something may emerge in upcoming years, as we're in that golden-era of headphone development currently. If a set greatly outperforms the ESP950 at same price, it's worth a look.

I would personally suggest getting the Fiio E17 , and the HifiMan HE - 400 , however those together come in way under budget.

The Fiio at about $120 and the HE-400 at $400 , however pairing a stronger HifiMan headphone with the Fiio would be ill advised, as the Fiio wouldn't be able to properly power one of it's larger siblings like the HE-4 or HE-500 .

But perhaps getting a stronger amp would be a good idea, I have several, but my E17 still is my goto amp when i'm out and about, even if i have replacement amp for desktop use I still appreciate the power of the E17 :)

Two great bargains now-a-days are the HiFiMan HE-400, seen at $300 new and the Sennheiser HD-600, seen at $270 new. Really nice cans and such great prices.

The HigherFi Headphone (@ < $2000).

Anyone know if these are sourced from an OEM supplier, or manufactured by a branded company for HigherFi ?

Wonder if planar companies HiFiMan, Abyss, Oppo, Audeze, Mr Speakers, Fostex, or someone else may be making these ?

Attachments

• headphone.jpg
    headphone.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 13
Think they look nearly identical to the new Mr Speakers Ether planar? Wonder if Fostex RP (regular phase) drivers are involved, but Mr Speakers has a V-Planar driver patent-pending trademark. Specs are the same for Mr Speakers & HigherFi Headphone. The Mr Speakers Ether starts at $1500.

Attachments

• MSP0145_7583Gcrop-e1427154744922.jpg
    MSP0145_7583Gcrop-e1427154744922.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Long 3 months since I posted last and have updates since now have reached my headphone nirvana.

Headphones all now complete and lastly phono cartridges will be fun to pursue a couple types into retirement years. Only other odd minor items remain on the "bucket-list" in my audio pursuits, good feeling to be 99% complete after many years of looking. Remaining time will be for listening !

So, in the headphone journey, since last writing, had some interesting ones fall in my lap at real bargains that sound great such as -

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A wood dynamic
Sony ECR-500 electret
Burwen PMB6 planar
Signet TK33 (aka ATH 8/80/1000 or similar) electret

Those above deserve mention adding to my list in post #177.

Reached nirvana with 5 final models of extreme performance that I got at great deals, and as many have, joined in on the electrostatic Staxen fever.

Stax SR-Gamma...very highly underated, often overlooked, not so common, 1 of 2 Stax most closest to dynamic headphone character, reasonably priced, the Pro version is even better. Use mine with Stax SRD6/SB box.

Stax SR Lambda Pro...had to make the jump as already owning the Normal Bias, just out of pure curiousity. This is the 2nd of 2 Staxen most like dynamic headphones. All said about the bass is true - it is deep, extended & possibly among the strongest with impact for Stax; with note to current-selling new Stax series line for bass impact (and not getting in over thread dollar limit where the Omega, 007 and 009 reside).

Stax SR Lambda Nova Signature...truly heaven, these are hard to beat. Overwhelmingly joyful to listen too for any imaginable attribute. When we describe Staxen differences among models, since they are almost all really astonishing - we tend to pick out differences like splitting hairs, most all are really great. We don't want to mislead folks not to buy any model, but just pick out nuance differences between models. On occasion, some big points pop up. With these LNS, they do it all - very well all around, marvelously.

Sony MDR-CD3000...a dynamic based set with bio-cellulose drivers. These are among the finest dynamic headphones ever made. They are the 2nd best Sony made (Qualia $$$$$ and SA5000 also), after the MDR-R10 famous flagships, and are similar to them, with drivers just a slight bit different and polymer-fiber composite earcups rather than the Zelkova wood in the rare (and extremely costly) R10. R10 usually run well over $2500 used -closer to $3000 to $4000 range lately. As these CD3000 get very close in sound to the MDR-R10, it's easy to see why the R10 are rated in the top 5 headphones ever made worldwide by nearly all significant ratings. Have not heard either type R10 (bass light, bass heavy), but I would say these CD3000 are probably nearer the bass-heavy version, based on hearing very many headphones, and they are non-ported like-B-H R10 (unlike B-L R10 which port), chronologically following bass-heavy R10, and not mid-centric like earlier version bass-light R10. Not to say bass-head at all, the bass is very balanced and sensational, just the R10 has the 2 relative-type versions, relative to each other. The Bio-cell high frequency is nearly electrostatic-like, and mids on these very detailed & natural. Hard to find any other dynamic 'phone with high frequencies like the CD3000. Mine are the grey color. A winner for everything, including many other audio attributes. Bio-cell drivers are also now in the new AudioQuest Nighthawk headphones. The CD3000 are superb in every way, and go way beyond what almost every dynamic headphone can do. Simply captivating.

Koss ESP-950...yes, I knew these were for me and they are sensational. I got my set used, mint, never repaired, less than 1 year old - 2014 version with very low hours on them. Got at a deal like I've never seen for this model, so I jumped on them. Have the lifetime warranty to repair or replace anything that ever happens to them free, only shipping is a cost. I have heard if so, you can ask to have only your own set repaired & sent to you when done, but takes longer. These are superlatively beyond words, true gems in the headphone world, right up there with Stax, yet different.

For those interested, the brand new ones should soon be on sale at their lowest annual price during November as a 1 day only sale, new, 1st quality model direct from Koss. Usually the day before, day of, or day after Thanksgiving (USA) Thursday. Last year they were $600 and it's approaching that time again. For sound, mine work perfectly and are right on with the findings Thomas Norton wrote about in Stereophile & in comparison to Stax. Faust on wikiphonia (both referenced in posts #178-182 here) hit it right on the head also with the Koss-Stax comparison, I find the same impressions. I also got the Koss to Stax adaptor cable, so I can run the Koss on my Stax amp.

Those last 5 have ended my headphone quests, having reached headphone nirvana. The used prices on these are at half or far less than half of the thread limit, and even greater bargains can be found if carefully patient for the right set.

As to what else is interesting, have to note the Airbow SR-SC1 (modded Stax SR-Lambda 404) is something special, and would love to hear those one day.

Some new models from different brands upcoming for release, (especially electrostatics) are also on the radar to watch out of interest. 1 or 2 new models issued just in 2015 are awaiting reviews (Nighthawk) and listening tests in the community & among pro-review critics; they have been listed in this thread in various posts for "upcoming release". some of the interesting future releases are Sennheiser planar and reported new Orpheus-2 (costly), HiFiMan electrostatic, and Enigma Acoustics Darma hybrid stat-dynamic.

Plus, Pioneer SE Master-1, HiFiMan HE-560, Sennheiser HD-800, Mr Speaker Ether, AudioQuest Nighthawk, Audeze models, Oppo models and Kingsound models are currently offered which are notably great headphones.

For me, I doubt I will try anything else, have accrued many headphones and it would really take something very special in the future to be released new models far under $1000 new, or, particularly under or well under $500 used or new to take a glance, based on great deals that can be found relative to these headphones listed.

I have looked into the well-respected Woo Wee, customized from Woo with both a Pro-bias and a Normal-bias socket, to drive my electrostatic line. That is something I will weigh against a dedicated headphone amp. The Woo is used with great hi-fi amps which already are known for stellar headphone performance. The electrostatic amps in consideration are the Stax 717, T1, SRM-3, SRM-313, SRM-323 and SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. I know to consider output specs for driving both Staxen and Koss headphones properly.

For dynamic headphones, it will be a long search with a lot of time to properly match a dedicated headphone amp or two for my collection. Some interesting ones that I know little of are the Vahalla and offerings from Audio-GD. Here on the thread great suggestions were made such as Meier Corda Jazz, Magni and others. This will remain the final project into retirement along with phono cartridge ventures.

I love switching between the different cans in my collection, they have different sound signatures which is so much fun to enjoy as a hobbyist, enjoying the varied presentations. I prefer not to have one sole set at any price up to Orpheus. Just as Mahler states in his infamous Head-Fi Battle of the Flagsgships thread, some cans just really excel with some genres of music, and some with other types of musical passages - the beauty is we have the selection to bring out all the best music has to offer.

The top models in my collection finally completed now are, in no order at all-

Electrostatic :

Stax SR-Lambda Nova Signature
Stax SR-Lambda Normal Bias
Stax SR-Lambda Pro Bias
Stax SR-202 (Lambda)
Koss ESP-950

Dynamic :

Sony MDR-CD3000
Sennheiser HD-650
AKG-K701

Will add these to the list in post #177 as an edit. Others on the list there are also all fine performers and offer incredible bang for the buck; many can be found at bargain prices.

The adventure ending in audio Nirvana has been a very enjoyable journey !

Last edited:
A set of Sony MDR-R10 bass heavy version sold today for $7300 on ebay, today from Cailifornia. Maybe the best set ever seen, mint, used minimal hours played, has all info materials with it, extra earpads & case. Higher serial #. Very rare. Most prefer this bass heavy version to the bass light version. The B-L version is not weak in bass, just more mid-centric, and Sony sold both new at same time, for those with a preference to certain music types. All music genres reproduced well with the bass heavy version, moreso than bass light version, thus many prefer B-H. Legendary headphones, only bringing it up since these cans were mentioned in last post.

Yeah the r-10 is really getting expensive and it can get turned into a paperweight real quick.

Been an interesting time for me as well. Found my headphone nirvana in a hd800/Teton/Pavane.

That 800 combo must be sweet, and can feel your happiness, glad you found the synergistic combination. Recall you tried some other combos before and those were good too with your 800's, this pairing must be super. Heavy gear, did you get them used ? That Teton & Pavane is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

R10 prices way up, some theororize the bio-cell may only have so many decades of integrity. Read some felt 20 years, but wrongly, as now models are playing fine after 26 years, now close to 30 years. Same for the very few Sony loudspeakers with bio-cell drivers - some (very rare production numbers) are around playing fine 26 years. For cans, they recommend keeping them in the sealed Sony case, with a dessicant pad there, away from the drivers/cups.

Things great here too, I think my MDR-CD3000 will probably outlive me. I think ? they emerged about 2003, so early models are now 12 years old, mine is a later serial number. I'll probably go before they do ! Folks just don't sell them, and if so, many later try to get them back or find a set again. Today happened to grab a new set of Beyerdynamic DT-770 "Studio" model specifically, only $170 sale at Guitar Center. I need them for tracking/monitoring in my studio, so it was a good deal ($60 off) and I didn't want something like the T1 or T5 for this purpose (those are Teton matches, a good pairing !).

With the Staxen models, Sony 3000, Koss 950s, and also 650, 701 things are good here, and I still like to bounce around to other models; I had listed 30 of my best back on #177, some I use for specific purposes or music types. Many different signatures, cool to switch around. The funny joke at head-fi is 'sorry about your wallet', but I got really sensational deals on everything. The headphone bug is both infectious & fun, so it's a great hobby; easier than other audio gear pieces because cans are small to keep around. Still, I mostly listen to loudspeakers.

Those 800's are nice, do you find some music genres preferred with them and other genres preferred with your Airbow ? A nice set of Airbow recently sold for $465 and I almost jumped on those; it seemed a good price based on the new ones increasing. I recall other sets sold used over that amount awhile ago. With your heavy 800 combo, will you stay with the Airbow rig as now, or is there an another amp/dac rig in future vision for the airbow also ?

Any advice on the Woo Wee ? It is in the far future & would weigh the adaptor vs Stax amps - 717, T1, srm3-313-323-1 Mk II pro. Would use for driving Staxen & Koss 950. I have super hifi loudspeaker amps/preamps that would pair well & match with the Wee, just have to watch my volume, especially switching speakers to headphones. I only listen 1 or the other in session, and don't hit the switch button - it is a deliberate switch to whatever is the transducer chosen for that session only, not one to the other. I guess a bad day (age-related) could happen with the switch on the wrong position...(arghh).

But I even power all switches off, even any speaker selectors to off each time (speakers out), so the routine is fairly safe and ingrained for years. The other 1 or 2 dedicated dynamic headphone amps will take some time to choose, and would be very last endeavour along with some phono cartridge interests.

Really cool to hear about the Teton/Pavane with the 800. That must be the absolute sound.

Back
Top Bottom