A 2-part question on sound cards ...

Walt

1) What sound card do you have in your PC, and,

2) Do you use it as the basis for a small PC-oriented audio setup?

Thor, I know you do, but the question is mainly pitched at everyone else, although you could answer 1).

:)

Last edited:
Well,

1) Sound Blaster Live Value

2) Only when playing games or (rarely) mp3's. I have my 2-channel setup in room, and 90% of the time it is sourcing its sound from the Cambridge Audio CDP.

Soundblaster Audigy through a Monsoon sub-sat system. Sats are electrostatic. Better than the on-board sound I was using before.

Its been posted before, but how about the new AOpen tube sound.

For me its:

1) SB Audigy

2) Feeds into mid-90's Kenwood PL receiver and then into my JBL S-312's.

This situation is way overkill (for a PC that is) and more a result of space considerations and family considerations for the time being.

Funnily enough Thor, I have found myself listening to more MP3's in the last month than vinyl or CD!

As for that AOpen mobo, its a novel concept, but you'd need a heck of a well ventilated case to run it. Cooling is an issue anyway these days, without throwing a HOT tube in there for good measure too.

I would love to hear it just for interests' sake.

Sound Blaster Live value sound card played thru Monsoon sub and and two speakers. Came with the Dell package. Nothing fancy. I do a little gaming, but not alot. Speakers just sit there until some software program decides to use them.

I placed more importance on the video card than the sound card when I ordered the Dell.

1) Junk Sound Blaster Live Value card

2) WinAmp/Marantz skin... Feeding to a H/K AVR25II. Pre outs to a Marantz 240 amp and onto JBL Lancer 66's that are mounted angled down at cieling hieght. Sounds great in my office!

:grnbounce Hey Walt:beer:

1. SoundBlaster Live! Value (Came w/Dell comp) through the HK395 speakers, also from Dell

2. Yes. As soon as I can, I'm replacing the HK speakers with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. I have no problem with the soundacrd's line out and once I replace the HKs with Klipsch, it'll provide just dandy sounds for listening to while at the computer.:yippy:

:D Happy Listening:cool:

George

Last edited:
1. SoundBlaster Live!

2. No, I only use this sound card for hearing beeps and whatnot. For listening to music, I use a Turtle Beach AudioTron located in the living room. The AudioTron is a network based audio interface that I have connected to my preamp via SP/DIF.

Back
Top Bottom