A $310 Yamaha-Rega System - looking for advice

bikesontop

The speakers are Cambridge Audio Henry Kloss Towers that I essentially dug out of the trash. They have some nasty scratches on the top of the cabinets and the grills have seen the wrath of a plucky feline, but they were thrown out because one of the plastic holders for the binding posts was broken and shorting out the system. I've replaced that and they are working fine.

I bought the Rega Planar 2 on Craigslist for a whole $60. I've been using as I bought it for the past two years. It's in great shape and I'm told that it is from the 70's...but I have no idea.

For a number of years, I was using a Harman Kardon twip power amp, which from my research, seems to be of similar vintage to the turntable. However, it has been recently replaced by this Yamaha AX-900U which I found CL for $250 after a little haggling. This was a big step up, since I felt like the HK was never really able to push the big towers very well and always sounded a bit thin.

I also have a vintage discwasher that I got from my parents years ago, with the directional fibers.

It's not terribly fancy, but I feel like for what I paid for the setup, it sounds pretty darn good. However, part of me thinks that it might be time to start tweaking the setup. I've never done anything with cartridge alignment, tonearm pressure, or other setup. I plan on starting there. I just ordered a bubble level, and tonearm scale. What are my next steps from there? Does anyone know anything about this tonearm? Is it original? Is there anything I should know about setting it up? I've spent a lot of time listening, am very handy, but have been reluctant to mess with the setup for fear of making it worse.

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_112452.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112452.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170924_112506.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112506.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20170924_112517.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112517.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20170924_112525.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112525.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20170924_112532.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112532.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20170924_112612.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112612.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20170924_112644.jpg
    IMG_20170924_112644.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 93
Agree w/above,very nice rig.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of help with your TT set-up,just give it some time.
Sorry I could'nt be of more help with that,but I've been strictly digital since '04 and I was'nt all too TT savvy before that.

BTW welcome to AK. :thumbsup:

Bret P.

Check out unipivot tonearm damping, Groovetracer subplatter, Grado hum, and 24V motor upgrade. Various ideas for the would-be tweaker.

Cool system and a Great price! I would ask about setting up your turntable in the turntable section You will find out every thing You need to Know! Welcome to AK! :thumbsup:

Outstanding! If you are looking for improvements that are not necessarily $ dependent first, I would delve into the following:
1. Arm set-up and cart alignment.
2. Make sure the table is level and isolated well enough.
3. Study up on configuration of the speakers placement (triangle with specific dimensions) as best as possible. Get those speakers out where they will best perform. If there is a port on the back, make sure they have at least 1' of space to the wall and a little more if you can. (are those the mode with the rear tweeter?)
4. Other room issues - acoustics in the room are absolutely huge and the professionals that do system set-up will tell you they can ofttn do more to improve the sound of a system with room set-up than by spending more $ on the electronics.
5. If it is pleasing to look at, the overall experience is better.

First $ spending items.
1. Cables - Dont need to be crazy expensive stuff, but up graded from the basics or at least something of quality. Both the cable from the Rega (if not original) and then the speaker wire/cables.
2. Phono preamp. Research the Yamaha and determine if you could do better than it's phono section.
3. CD player - They are cheap on the used market. Research on here about the phillips TDA-1541 DAC chip and find a player well built with that chip. Really narrow down making sure you got something good. Here is a link that lists CD players and their DAC chips they use: http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/
4. Streaming baby! - So good and fun, and for the most part cheap. You can go direct from your computer to that Yamaha but eventually you will want to pout a good DAC between them to make sure you are providing the stereo a good analogue signal. It will never replace a good permanent vinyl library, but it is currently the best way to discover music, new and old.

Last edited:
The #1 above, arm and cartridge setup. Yes you or I might screw that up. Theres a lot of geometry goes into it. " I'm no expert. " Do a lot of reading up on it before attempting. Can be confusing understanding what the jargon means. What protractor you should use. Cartridge alignment is tedious and time consuming. Good vision, lighting and/or a magnifying glass and steady hands would help, too. You have to be able to see wher the stylus is exactly on the protractor. I have trifocals which doesn't help.
I have a few tables. So I work on cartridge alignment. Get frustrated. Walk away. Then try again next day. Can take me a few hours to align one. I use the other tables in meantime. I'm not familiar with your Rega or any Rega.

Also as you get more serious about vinyl, you could investigate a record cleaning system incorporating a vacuum. There are homemade systems also. Info on this site. My own uses cleaner in spray bottles, a purchased wand for my mini shop vac.
AK in a good info resource.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
You could do a whole lot worse for a whole lot more cash.

I like the system. As mentioned before. Lots of tweeks and upgrades for the rega. Some of m y best speakers look like they belong in the trash, but man do they sound great.

Nice work

Back
Top Bottom