A-700 find

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Celt2006, Apr 9, 2018.

1. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got a Hakko desoldering station and I like it a lot.
    I use a Weller WTCPT soldering station that's got about a billion hours on it and has been totally reliable. You do have to change tips for different heat but I don't typically change temp so it's not an issue.

avionic and Celt2006 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

I once retrieved 4 or 5 non-working WTCPT stations from a dumpster . Then built a good solid working one with with the carcasses. Still have it and it still works. That was in 1986.So I do have a backup iron.

OMGCat! likes this.
  3. Celt2006

Celt2006 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Drove 3.5 hrs total and picked up my a700. Looked clean. A little dusty on the board but not near as bad as most. Hooked it up and it does for sure need a good deoxit treatment. However after working the knobs a bit most of the static when moving went away..but really needs cleaned. I cannot really get a good impression of the sound because my at10 speakers blew the tweets from my rx v393 clipping.. Replaced with tweets reccomended by speaker exchange but they sound like crap imo compared to the originals. ... I know cw at10s are rockers and not finite sounding but they do ok... I had my 393 set up with a Yamaha ge- 30 eq to mainly give a better fuller sound stage at lower volumes. Tried hooking that up yo the a700 but it does not do anything at all except make it quieter.. No change in sound no matter what I set the levels at... Again I use the eq to make up for the shortcommings of the speakers at lower volume.... Any advice? Maybe the a700 being a a/b class wont work with my eq??? Anyways ill get my system sounding good to my old abused ears.. Experimenting till I get it right.

4. Celt2006

some picts... took off the top cover and got some of the boards n stuff. DEFINITELY needs a cleaning and deoxt
    DSCF3997.JPG

5. Celt2006

6. Celt2006

7. OMGCat!

Looks nice in there. Not overly dusty and not cigarette paste yellow.
    If you look at those caps in the middle you can see the green fuzzy leads from the glue.

8. Celt2006

i cant make it out.

9. Celt2006

this stuff??? left side of the cap? DSCF3996 (2).JPG

10. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

Evil stuff. It has to go. Everything that that glue has touched will be suspect and should be checked for corrosion.

Cheers,
    James

Celt2006 likes this.
  11. avionic

What the Brat said...:thumbsup:

12. Celt2006

If anyone here wants to do it. Ill ship it USA only. Pm me with a price. Local reputable shop wants alot like 3 to 500... I just do not have confidence enough to do it myself being my 1st one. Ill start with something else first thats not such a find

13. avionic

That seems about right Add shipping to it makes it even more.

14. Celt2006

Found someone to get it done. Even the price above probably would have been worth it as something comparable new would run well over a grand I think. When done it should out last me as its what 38 years old or so?

15. Karl vd Berg

Karl vd Berg Super Member

Properly done and well kept, yes.

Celt2006 likes this.
  16. Celt2006

17. Celt2006

Oh ya.. Ive downloaded the users abd service manuals and still dont know what DAD means ha ha

18. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

Digital Audio Device.
    Back when they knew something like that was starting to appear but the dust still hadn't settled on what device would be "the one".

Cheers,
    James

Celt2006 likes this.
  19. OMGCat!

You should be able to run 12g no problem as long as you carefully insert the ends into the cut outs.
    Banana plugs would not work with these speaker posts. They would have to have a hole in the center for the "banana" to poke into.

Celt2006 likes this.
  20. Celt2006

I see. I can get it in but it likes to be stubborn. Maybe i should soldee the twisted end so fraying doesnt happen when putting them in