A/B test between Chromecast DAC and FiiO Taishan DAC... how to set up

hnash53

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently purchased the FiiO Taishan DAC due to all the raves about it. I stream audio via my Chromecast Audio device which has its own built-in DAC.

Several persons have commented on improved audio quality with the Taishan over the Chromecast device.

I was wondering if there is a way to set up an A/B test to switch quickly between the Chromecast and the Taishan. I have a vintage 4-channel receiver with numerous RCA inputs, and two RCA outputs.

Any ideas? I just want to see if I can detect an uptick in audio quality using this FiiO DAC vs. the Chromecast Audio DAC.

Thanks.

Optical digital cable from the CCA to FiiO, connect both to the receiver, switch back and forth. You will need to switch cables connecting the CCA too as it has a combo output. Note that CCA's digital output is jittery so any differences you detect will be more due to jitter out of the CCA than to anything else. You will need a device like iFi SPDIF iPurifier in between for an apples to apples comparison.

Optical digital cable from the CCA to FiiO, connect both to the receiver, switch back and forth. You will need to switch cables connecting the CCA too as it has a combo output. Note that CCA's digital output is jittery so any differences you detect will be more due to jitter out of the CCA than to anything else. You will need a device like iFi SPDIF iPurifier in between for an apples to apples comparison.

There is a lot of discussion about the "audibility" of jitter. Many seem to agree that it's there, but that it's inaudible. I know that I will never be able to "hear" or detect jitter.

If jitter is all the the DAC will do for me, it was a waste of money...although not much.

These cheap DACs can't deal with jitter. If you have a clean digital source all is good. The CCA isn't one. There was a very definite improvement after I added an iPurifier between my CCA and the DAC but YMMV. Jitter isn't an issue when using the CCAs built in Dac, only when it's optical output is used. You can still A/B them with what you have, there can be enough of an improvement to justify the purchase.

These cheap DACs can't deal with jitter. If you have a clean digital source all is good. The CCA isn't one. There was a very definite improvement after I added an iPurifier between my CCA and the DAC but YMMV. Jitter isn't an issue when using the CCAs built in Dac, only when it's optical output is used. You can still A/B them with what you have, there can be enough of an improvement to justify the purchase.

$100 for the ipurifier? Guess I'll just be using the CCA's DAC since jitter's not an issue with it.

Anymore, it seems like all this add-on stuff is just chasing a ghost that isn't there. Snake oil.

I'm not criticizing anyone here... just that all the claims end up contradicting one another. And not just for DACs... but so much of audio equipment seems subject to all kinds of opinions that are easily contradicted.

Again, not being critical of anyone... just a bit of frustration on my part.

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah I know... The SPDIF iPurifier isn't snake oil despite what some "objective" reviews are suggesting, there are multiple reports it has good results when used with the CCA with at least some DACs, my experience confirms it as well. There is a known issue too however, the CCA often shuts down the optical in between songs and the iPurifier gets confused and may send garbage to the DAC, some DACs can't deal with it and produce static. Mine doesn't have the audio noise when that happens but it's definitely unhappy blinking all the lights like crazy. It is possible this has been addressed in later iPurifiers, I got mine used and it is probably one of the earlier ones. There are other external reclockers out there, you can probably find one used will below $100 with some patience.

My opinion on getting a new external DAC just to be used with the CCA is unless you're willing to step up to at least a Schiit Modi Multibit or a better DAC that was designed to reject jitter over SPDIF, you will be better off saving your money and just use the CCA as is, perhaps invest in a quality 5V linear PSU instead. As for the iPurifier, the only good reason to invest in one is when you already have an otherwise decent DAC that you like and it can't deal effectively with jitter.

It's not all about jitter when comparing these two DACs. It's also about the electronics inside which process the signal and convert it from digital to analog. I can hear differences between DAC chipsets and file resolution on my system.

Some of the "add-on stuff" I've put on my system, specifically the USB reclocker, did make a noticeable difference in reducing jitter, which I can hear as well. Your MIleage May Vary.

As far as setting up the A/B. If you can, split the signal from the source (digital file repository) and send it to both DACs simultaneously. Then connect one DAC to input X and the other to input Y on your receiver or pre-amp and switch between the two.

Splitting the signal going out to the CCA and a wired DAC can probably be done but not as straightforward as just using a splitter. The best you can do for an subjective-objective test is to feed the DAC from the CCA's optical output and add a SPDIF reclocker in between if you wanted to reduce jitter's influence on your test results, because without a reclocker you will be comparing the CCA's built-in DAC vs. jitter on the CCA's optical output + external DAC performance, assuming the external DAC doesn't have its own reclocker.

I think if you could use an editing program to create a few short musical samples, set up the equipment in one room and the speakers in another, and have an assistant play the samples for you, quickly changing the CCA connection between the external DAC and straight into the amp, it might be an interesting and at least somewhat valid test. The assistant should be told that you want to hear a random sequence of multiple A-A, A-B, B-A, and B-B combinations, but he should come up with the sequence on his own, and keep a log of what he is playing. He should announce the segments ("one.... two...") as neutrally as possible, with no other discussion. You sit and listen and write down whether one or two sounds better or you can't hear a difference. Then you combine the log and your answers and see if you are consistently picking the CCA internal or the external DAC over the other.

I think if you could use an editing program to create a few short musical samples, set up the equipment in one room and the speakers in another, and have an assistant play the samples for you, quickly changing the CCA connection between the external DAC and straight into the amp, it might be an interesting and at least somewhat valid test. The assistant should be told that you want to hear a random sequence of multiple A-A, A-B, B-A, and B-B combinations, but he should come up with the sequence on his own, and keep a log of what he is playing. He should announce the segments ("one.... two...") as neutrally as possible, with no other discussion. You sit and listen and write down whether one or two sounds better or you can't hear a difference. Then you combine the log and your answers and see if you are consistently picking the CCA internal or the external DAC over the other.

Sure, but to make it a more precise test you need to somehow eliminate jitter on the way to the external DAC or have a DAC that is designed to reject it, unless of course you're willing to accept some jitter as a part of the deal with the external DAC.

Comparing the CCA's DAC to a D3 DAC was a piece of cake.

Didn't take my ears but a few seconds to realize that the $20 Fiio offered a major upgrade in SQ.

Back
Top Bottom