A BA-5000 came home.

DBT dim bulb tester ( ol school current limiter ) And the
maxi fuse is for the amp audio outputs, nothing to do with the PS....

Update: I made a nice order on mouser of resistors, caps and transistors to fix the little bugger. So that means than the next two weeks I will be cleaning the unit the best I can, and probably rebuilt the drivers boards.

CIMG9773.JPG

CIMG9777.JPG CIMG9778.JPG

Last edited:
Hell yeah, you have your work cut out for you there!! Nice work!!
Let me know when you want me to send the shipping carton over....

Trust me, this will save you HOURS of testing.. the cheap China ones do ALOT but do not hold up well.. I have had a few that went POOF in under an HR

here's a used one CHEAP
Can you believe that I tried to buy a DCA75 a while ago on amazon, but only God knows what idiotic restrictions applied to import it to my country. I'll check on ebay to see If I can get one... right now I have a couple of the chinese ones that so far are holding (but I don't trust them very much).
I made a bid on the one that you point me, but I always lost those.
I'm looking the DCA55 new in $75, I can afford that.

Last edited:
Must be some sort of interesting story behind how you found the BA5000. One of the very few Sansui pieces still on my list to acquire.
-Lee

Must be some sort of interesting story behind how you found the BA5000. One of the very few Sansui pieces still on my list to acquire.
-Lee
I bet the story how this unit came to Costa Rica or who was the original owner is fantastic. How I got it is not.
To be fair I was at home and a fellow how sells me broken stuff to fix, called me

- Is this amps to complicated to fix?
- yes
- Would you like to buy it?
- No, I'm looking for Pioneer stuff (right Kevzep?) too many Sansuis.
- come on, I give you a nice price for it.
- Damn it, I don't want it.:rolleyes:
- Let's do this, I'll take it to your place you can check it and after that if you don't want it is ok.
- All right, fair enough.

He was looking for some old radios or something and got it for a gentleman. That's all I know
I must say that there is not too much for love for vintage audio in this country, people here seems to like Technics and Sony from the 80's or on the other hand... high end stuff like CJ, ARC and that.
The units are usually on terrible shape, hacked with bad parts... this one doesn't look that bad. BTW power switch is backward. 'On' is off and 'Off' is on.

Last edited:
Looking for Pioneer " Stuff " LIKE THIS ?? My current project....
2 M-77's 1 C-77 ( 100 volt japan ) TX 9500 120V ( just arrived )

Attachments

• pioneer stuff.jpg
    pioneer stuff.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 16
Looking for Pioneer " Stuff " LIKE THIS ?? My current project....
2 M-77's 1 C-77 ( 100 volt japan ) TX 9500 120V ( just arrived )
:eek2:There it is!!!!! I hope to see a nice thread about it!
Those silver faces are stunning I bet they sound as good as they look.:thumbsup:

Actually not much of a thread for these..... Bought em from Rinkya, all touted to be DEAD, the VERY FIRST THING I DO... clean ALL molex or other style connectors..
all pins had THE BLACK DEATH ( silver oxidation ) making for HI-Z or open connections.
In JAPAN you could consider all of that country " coastal " read high salt content in the air which does BAD THINGS to external finish and internal connections.....
Pre amp fired right up replaced pilot light and some LIGHT de oxit. Power amp 1 fired RIGHT UP, #2 had an issue with the protect board.... it got a bot COOKED.. it worked at first and I heard a SNAP (I was on DBT ) and it pulled a wee bit O current.. I had to re make about 7 traces under the 2 20ohm 20 watt resistors, it literally baked the board, the ODD PART was the idle current was set REALLY close to spec and nothing else looked heat stressed.. I spent more time CLEANING then on the bench.. the 2 amps and the pre are 100 volt units.... but i have a BIG variac in the garage ! ( 2K wattage ) BAM !
I just got the tuner in today and the new meter lights for #2.. The idea was to flip these along with a CTF 950 ( re belted/ new internal tires ) . I did not restore these, these are still running 100% OE parts EXCEPT for 1 cap in the protect crkt in #2 amp. Wanna trade ?? LOL

Wanna trade ?? LOL
MMMMM.....I think we need to discuss this with Kevin, he got me looking for crates and shipping rates from CR to NZ. LOL. (quite a journey I must add)
Just kidding, I really think this little bugger is a keeper, after I deal with some little rust issues and get the parts, with your help, I bet it will a great performer:rockon:
Btw, I wonder if I should take this panels to a paint shop, and have it repaint?
CIMG9794.JPG

Right now, ( if it was me ) I would be testing like a mother to get the amp up..in sections & worry bout the looks part later......( wow quite the mis match there )....

Back
Top Bottom