A BA-5000 came home.

Well if anyone torture tested that amp I sure have. As you and others know I cranked it all hard enough one night to literally set one of my 15" woofers on fire. Running both BA's bridged mono, one to each 15" in a 4 way active setup with the Sansui CD-10 divider. The BA-5000 was hardly warm. Replaced the burnt driver and right back in action without any issues. I do have new main filter caps here but still have not gotten around to installing them. I'm with you there are parts that just do not need to be changed unless they are bad. Caps break down, Outputs.... not so much IMHO.

I did not win the bid for the DCA55 at last second (literally) someone took it... As soon I can I'll get the nice one.:rant:
My octopus tracer were displaying some weird crap on TR05, D03,04, 05 (F-2518 LCh) and ZD01 (F-2521).
Status of the project:
Reading service manual, testing components 'in circuit" with the octopus and waiting for parts/tools.

G1xDDpE.gif

DO NOT DO IN CIRCUIT TESTING ! It's an art form / black magic that is a bit of feel vs experience. For an amp such as this slow and steady keeps the DBT dim....
Start with pulling out all the AMP stuff and test supplies........ cause W/O PROPER POWER it will get EXPENSIVE and FRUSTRATING !

What happened after this???
Others projects came, right now is almost finish, it is been kind of frustrating experience working on this amps.

- Power supply was a mess
- Several outputs shorted
- several resistors open
- had to rebuild driver boards
- right now I'm having problems with bias in one channel...(go figure).

So if there any interest once I figure it out, I can post a write up

Back
Top Bottom