A big thank you to AudioKarma and it's members

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Onebean, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Onebean

Onebean AK Subscriber Subscriber

I discovered this forum about a year and a half ago, and it re-ignited my interest in 2 channel Hi-Fi. I've spent countless hours reading threads and adding content where I feel I can bring positive knowledge to the table. I've also spent countless hours asking questions and absorbing the vast knowledge of the members here. The result of all this, is a 2 channel system set up in a small dedicated room in my basement, that sounds unbelievable and I can't stop listening. My system is a blend of vintage, DIY, and new components that give me a level of absolute enjoyment I have never experienced with my previous systems. The information I have taken from this forum is the reason my system is sounding so awesome, and I thank all of you for that.

Onebean

2. ben_

ben_ Member

+1 on this, that's for sure one great audio community :rockon: Thanks to everyone

3. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

I also agree wholeheartedly, Thanks

4. Todd Dodds

Todd Dodds AK Subscriber Subscriber

+1, and thanks to all who have been patient, helpful and didn't laugh at some of the dumb questions.
    About the only thing missing around here is a travelling panel of advanced members that will come to the house to critique and advise.

And a special word of thanks to those members that get into head butting contests on whatever issue ;). Sometimes those back and forth things are actually helpful for those like myself, to better understand whatever the topic might be.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    playittwice and manu et deo like this.
  5. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

Onebean can you tell us more about your journey and set up, etc.?

I'm about 3 years in, same deal as you.

6. braincramp

braincramp AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ditto!!

7. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

I'm a complete Newb (not just Hi Fi, but audio in general), that came here with merely a Realistic STA-225 receiver, a set of Realistic Nova 15 speakers, and a set of Advent Legacy II speakers. I have learned so much from you all!

Thanks to all.

Montycat and OMGCat! like this.
  8. Onebean

Here's a basic overview. I was lurking on the AK for about 6 months off and on, before I joined. In that time frame I was on the hunt for silver faced receivers, and managed to pick up a Yamaha CR-1020, Sansui 7070, a big Kenwood, and a Pioneer SX-780, and SX-750. I've had a soft spot for those 70's receivers for many years, and the more I read on AK the more I wanted to buy and try.

Revision 1 of my system was the Yamaha CR-1020, and a Technics SL-1200 with a Shure M97 cartridge, with Polk Audio Monitor 7's. This really got me back into 2 channel and it sounded really good for a total investment of $800. I pulled out an old Marantz CD player I had, and added that to the system, but I rarely listen to CD. I ended up recapping the Polk's, doing the basket mods and gluing the magnets. This was a nice improvement.

Revision 2 was the addition of a Yamaha M-65 purchased on barder town, and I hooked up my Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, and Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp. I was loving the addition of tubes, and the M-65 is a wonderful amp.

Revision 3 was the same system as above, but I picked up 2 sets of Large Advents and stacked them using the multiple speaker outputs on the M-65. This was a big change, and the stacked Advents are really special. At some point between revision 1 and 3, I dug out an old Ortofon cartridge I had purchased on eBay years ago. I remember clearly having buyers regret, because I bought it on an impluse after a night out drinking with my friends. The next day I started digging for info on the cartridge and couldn't find anything. It arrived in the mail and I set it off to the side and never even hooked it up. This was about 12 years ago. Through those last 12 years, I actually threw it away 2 different times, always deciding to dig it back out of the trash. I was going through my stuff one day and came across it. I decided to give it a try with an extra headshell I had. Holy smokes was it amazing. In a drunken moment 12 years prior, I bought an Ortofon MC20Mkii with the Ortofon MCA-76 head amp. The difference between the Shure M97 and the Ortofon MC20 is very easy to hear.

Revision 4 came about when I picked up a set of ADS L880's. My wife thought I was crazy to drive 6 hours one way to buy a pair of speakers for $180. We made the trip to Denver and back in one day, bringing home the ADS speakers along with some vintage Pioneer CS-88's for my work shop. The L-880's had a broken wire on one tweeter, and needed some attention to the cabinets, but they weren't too bad. I sent the Mids and Tweeters to Richard So for rebuild, cleaned up the cabinets and wiped them a couple times with a finish restorer, and straightened the grills. Once the speakers were back from rebuild, I pulled the stacked Advents and hooked up the L-880's. It first, I questioned my decision, but as I listened to the L880's, they proved their worth. They aren't as powerful in the bass as the stacked Advents, but they hold their own, and the mids and highs are amazing. When lots of people on this forum speak to the quality of ADS, my suggestion is to listen, they are well worth the money they sell for on the used market. I also added a Schitt Bi-Frost DAC at some point between rev 3 and 4. It elevated my CD sound quality.

Revision 5 was less dramatic with the addition of a Marantz SA8004 I came across for a good price. I also picked up a Yamaha C-70 that I had recapped, and a very nice Yamaha C-85, M-85 amp, and T-85 tuner abiut this same time.

Revision 6 is the current state of my system. I recently bought a Dynavector 20x2 low output off barder town, and I'm running that with a Step Up device I bought off eBay. This is a very nice cartridge too, and brings some serious sonics to the system. I flip flop back and forth between the Bottlehead Foreplay, and the Yamaha C-70, and C85. All three are serious pieces of gear, that shine in their own way, and I can't pick one. In the amp department, I also flip flop between the Yamaha M-85, Denon POA-2200, and Mitsubishu DA-A30. Again, all three are serious pieces of gear, and shine in their own way. The gear that is not in rotation are my ADS L-880's, My Bottlehead Seduction phono pre, my Marantz SA-8004, my Technics SL-1200, and the Dynavector 20x2 with step up device.

Revision 7 will focus purely on cabling. I build I'll my own interconnects and speaker cables, and I plan to do some evaluation of designs and materials I've been reading about.

These items are currently on deck waiting for their chance to win a spot in the system.

Lenco L75 turntable- I'm preparing to build a solid plinth based on the go to design at Lenco Heaven. I have a Denon 103 cartridge for this table, and I plan to use the stock arm, but leave room for other arms on the new plinth.

Bottlehead Foreplay 3- this is a kit I haven't built yet, but hope to have it ready to go before Christmas. I have the upgrade kit too, along with some Teflon capacitiors

A DIY phono pre called the CNC something or other, I can't remember the name right now. The last of my parts arrived from Mouser, so I hope to get that built soon to compare it to the Bottlehead Seduction.

A DIY clone of the Pass B1 preamp. Again, the last of the parts arrived, so I need to get building. Both this and the CNC phono pre will share a power supply that I need to build.

Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube buffer to try and warm up my CD player a bit

Mitsubishi DA-P10 preamp. I'm probably nuts to even consider adding another preamp to the rotation.

I have had my hands on lots of gear in the last 2 years, and I have been pretty impressed by all of it. I recently visited a Hi-Fi shop in a different state, and I listened to several systems costing 10 times as much as my revision 6. I expected to be blown away, but I wasn't. In fact, I was left feeling that these expensive systems were lacking to mine in almost every way. I was hesitant to bring this up, but I think it's important to say it. Lots of us cannot afford or choose not to invest in these high end products. I love looking at these high end pieces, they are truly beautiful. At the end of the day, carefully selected and matched components can deliver unbelievable performance for not a lot of money. I could have lived with my revision 1 for many years, and been very happy, it was that good. I get on a slippery slope and start reading and wanting to try all this other gear, and that's how I get to revision 7. For everyone that made it to the end of this story, I hope it helps you in your journey. Listing all this stuff out makes me realize I need to get serious about reducing the amount of gear I have.

Onebean

manu et deo and saltwater like this.
  9. gbroot

gbroot Super Member

Onebean, just wondering if all of your family and friends who come over think you've gone off the deep end? What's crazy, I'm sure they all think the equipment and sound is great but I know in my case none seem interested in pursuing even one decent system, much less one's for the cave or bedrooms. Incidentally, those big Yamaha amps and pre's are well worth keeping.

10. Onebean

gbroot, my wife rolls her eyes when the UPS man pulls. Unfortunately no one I know is really interested in what I'm doing. I have friends that like music, but no one is into Hi-Fi really. Yes, I agree, the Yamaha gear is very good, and I'm a big fan.

Oscar23 and manu et deo like this.
  11. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

+1 as well. Not nearly as in depth as the OP and others, but Totally know that eye-roll thing!
    I'm only interested in enjoying music with as little 'ouch' as possible, and bringing an old system up to 'as good as it can be' on a limited budget.
    So much music (and better recording tech recently), so little time!
    And, yes for sure, many thanks to all those who've come (and some went, sadly) before, and left us great tracks to follow!

timmo and Onebean like this.
  12. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

No disagreement from me. :rockon:

Onebean likes this.
  13. playittwice

playittwice Active Member

I’m with you Onebean, if it wasn’t for this site with all the knowledge and patience I wouldn’t be where I’m at in the audio fun either. Great people and great forum.
    Truly a lot of passion for great listening pleasure.

Onebean likes this.
  14. Powertech

Powertech New Member

The other thing is that there is no audio snobbery here - you know the thing where if you amp didn't cost more than a car it can't possibly be any good!
    I generally look for good quality used equipment that I can modify/upgrade if I want to.

Onebean likes this.
  15. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

Audio equipment is like Pringles, you can never stop at one. Glad your experience has been positive, this is what it's all about!

Onebean likes this.