A/D/S 710 reconing question

cubdog

banging through drywall
I have a pair of A/D/S 710's in need of new surrounds. I emailed the gentleman who has original A/D/S parts to see if he had the surrounds. All he has are cones with surrounds attached, $5.00 each. How difficult is it to replace the cones? I would hate to have to pay to have this done. I only have $10.00 in these and they are in excellent condition. Thanks.

cubdog

Hey cubdog, going the recone route seems like a lot of unnecessary work, doesn't it? Seems you could find suitable foams for these, even if they're not genuine ADS parts. I think the Simply Speakers website gives you the option to key in your speaker make/model and will regurgitate a foam kit number. Of course, the cost will be more than $10 a pair, but would save a lot of extra effort. Then again, maybe a generic foam would work - RSSounds is the cheapest I've found, but they are sooooooo slooooooow. Now the real question is - why can't I find a pair of ADS for $10. - Mark

The speakers were a real find. The problem so I've been told is that finding surrounds for the 710's are a really hard since they are 7in. If anyone knows for sure let me know.

cubdog

cubdog, measure your 7" cone

my AR9's have a 7" low-mid driver, if your cone is a match then the AR 7" surround should do the trick(mine measure approx 5 13/16" accross)

If bolly's idea (which is brilliant, by the way) don't work out, you could always buy an 8" surround and re-size it, couldn't you? - Mark

Ok, what am I thinking, The 710 cones measure 5 in side to side which I knew but I guess the problem remains the same. Odd size. Further suggestions?

cubdog

I give up. What are you thinking?

A typical 8' driver has a 6" diameter cone, give or take - 1" larger in diameter than your 5" cone. So you would have to have to remove about 3.14" minus a 1/4" inch or so for overlap from the 8" surround circumference. This seems like alot to me, but it might work. I'd investigate bolly's suggestion first. - Mark

I tried Mark

well cubdog, if you can't find a surround to fit, I've read what Mark is talking about...entails cutting and splicing a larger surround to fit a smaller cone.

Never tried this method myself though...yet.

Now my head is spinning! Vintage stereo should not involve math!!! :cry:

cubdog

do you know of a competent speaker tech in your area? see what they have to say, they might even be able to provide you with the exact pieces you need.

even if you have to sink a few $ into repair cost's, it will be more than worth it to get these babies back up and running.

I used a latex contact cement to join the seam in a surround for an OLD driver, narrow taper, like a Walsh driver. I used a 5-1/4" surround and cut out 3/8". I used a butt joint, just glued the ends together, edge-to-edge, no overlap. 4 months later, still going strong, and performance seems OK, though this is not for critical listening.

cubdog your cone is 5" in diameter, multiply that by the square root of pi and divide the result by the weight of the cabinet... thus your true surround size is determined. :lmao:

luvvinvinyl said:
I used a latex contact cement to join the seam in a surround for an OLD driver, narrow taper, like a Walsh driver. I used a 5-1/4" surround and cut out 3/8". I used a butt joint, just glued the ends together, edge-to-edge, no overlap. 4 months later, still going strong, and performance seems OK, though this is not for critical listening.

A butt joint - now that's intriguing. I'll have to try that. - Mark

bolly said:
Never tried this method myself though...yet.

I had to do this on both pairs of Advent/2's. One of them was my first attempt at a re-foam and it was a success. Pretty simple, I reckon. - mark

bolly said:
cubdog your cone is 5" in diameter, multiply that by the square root of pi and divide the result by the weight of the cabinet... thus your true surround size is determined. :lmao:
Huh?

cubdog

MarkAnderson said:
A butt joint - now that's intriguing. I'll have to try that. - Mark
My world is suddenly crashing down around me! Have fun boys, I'm off to eat ribs. Serenity now, serenity now. :yes:

Well Hell Ross, I thought the guy had just the surrounds. We can cut down 8" surrounds for them, it has been done. If you can get the surrounds that bolly is talking about I bet we could make that work without too much difficulty. Dont let the fried example outshine my other works.

cubdog said:
My world is suddenly crashing down around me! Have fun boys, I'm off to eat ribs. Serenity now, serenity now. :yes:

But I was being serious!! However, I 'bout fell out on my ass after reading your reply. :lmao: - Mark

Back
Top Bottom