A/D/S L810A with Nakamichi 420 Power Amplifier?

malden

Addicted Member
I have a pair of ADS L810A and I want to use them with my Nakamichi 420 Amplifier. I read in another forum that the Nak 420 should not be used with 4 ohm speakers. Can someone please expand on this?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Nak_420.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a great excuse to get another pair of 810s, stack em, and run them in series.

Did you check for the relay referenced?

Ok, I see the link -- I guess I can only say that, if the official service manual gives specifications for its power at 4 ohms, they must certainly anticipate that it may be run with 4 ohm speakers, and they're not warning you off of doing that . . . ;)

That makes sense. I have a total of three 420's, one recently went kaput. Not sure what happened but it was hooked-up to a pair of JBL 4311B's...:dunno:

I guess the only other thing that I could add would be to proceed with caution at first, and run them at moderate volume levels for a while, and check to see if the amp is getting really hot! ;)

Let's just for a moment consider Nakdocs warning about not using them with 4 ohm speakers.... I interpret his warning as warranted citing the Class B/ heat dissipation issue. The relay board that he references could be a protection circuit . ( I admit that I know nothing about the 420)

So, I would see if you could contact him for more details.... and in the meantime... use a couple 4 ohm 50 watt wire wound resistors ( Ebay, China @ ~ $2 ea ) inline, series, with the speaker cable. This will mess with the impedance, but it will also provide a higher resistance to the amp, and essentially trick the amp into thinking it is hooked to ~8 ohm speakers. For a couple bucks, try it, and see how it sounds.

I do not recommend series resistors. Yes, impedance is now 8 ohms nominal but the power produced would have to double to produce the same sound output, since roughly half will be lost in the series resistor. Heat generated in the amplifier will be similar, and you may reach voltage clipping.

The advice above to enjoy the music but monitor the amplifier temperature is good. Nakamichi made good stuff - it is doubtful there will be any problem.

Back
Top Bottom