A/D/S line pecking order?

I have a pair of L400's, with said push button connects. I had the last 1/2 inch of my speaker wires soldered and that did the trick for me. No more frayed strands not making it into the hole.

At least the connectors are right side up.

To revive an old thread. What do you vintage ADS lovers use for speaker wire connection. The push button on my last 300 lie at a weird angle making even bare wires tough. Admitted I’m a doofus but do you guys go with pins for best connection

And yes I’d love to swap out the push pins but I’m not very good at diy

Thanks for reviving this thread. I recently aquired a pair of L980. This thread was great reading. Soundmotor and others are an incredible source of info and history for ADS speakers. Thanks a ton to all the contributors to this thread!!!!

To revive an old thread. What do you vintage ADS lovers use for speaker wire connection. The push button on my last 300 lie at a weird angle making even bare wires tough. Admitted I’m a doofus but do you guys go with pins for best connection

And yes I’d love to swap out the push pins but I’m not very good at diy

The 300s and, I think, the 200s, have the worst wire posts. They’re upside down and a bitch to get to. And they don’t take very large wire. But once you get them hooked up they sound sooooo good. I need to pull out my old 200s and see if can make them new again.

These were one of the worst ergonomic / mechanical design screw-ups possible. On the earliest L200/L300, they used either the same push-in (or near identical) connectors JBL did and just as bad. A good solution is to bend stranded wire into an "L" and tin it. Having a 3rd hand is useful too.

JBL -

1300060-pair-of-vintage-jbl-l200-studio-master-2-way-speakers.jpg

These were one of the worst ergonomic / mechanical design screw-ups possible. On the earliest L200/L300, they used either the same push-in (or near identical) connectors JBL did and just as bad. A good solution is to bend stranded wire into an "L" and tin it. Having a 3rd hand is useful too.

JBL -

1300060-pair-of-vintage-jbl-l200-studio-master-2-way-speakers.jpg

Who. The. HELL. Ever thought that was a good idea. Just looking at them makes me angry. :whip:

AAFFA126-C523-4229-954A-3C00E043F804.jpeg FA72078E-F7FD-4F15-B890-B3513324A140.jpeg

All this talk prompted me to dig my old 200Cs out of storage and see what needed fixing. I hooked them up to the kitchen system (not fun) and fired them up. OMG!!! They sound just like they did almost 40 years ago. The grilles and cabinets are beat up from years of abuse in the back of my 78 Corolla, but they sound 10 times better than the Minimus 7s that were hooked up. Thank god for rubber woofer surrounds. I do have one problem, I can’t get one of the grilles off. It seems whatever the substance was that originally held them on had turned to cement. Any ideas on safely rmoving it?

Broke out the old fashioned angle pins re the discussion of the idiotic terminals ...
Work well. Can’t comment on fidelity but got to love monoprice....

Attachments

• 3FEED751-3848-4534-88E1-13C59264A63D.jpeg
    3FEED751-3848-4534-88E1-13C59264A63D.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 19
So my L980's recently had tweeters, mids, and crossovers redone by the man, myth, legend Richard So....these will only be for sale when my ass is in the ground...

Those look great! My cabinets are beat to heck, but they sound great!

Can you post a side view of the stands?

Did we ever get an answer as to where the L980s fit into the pecking order?

Thanks, I found these on Craigs list about 2 years ago, guy had no idea what they were, pics were really bad...Once I got there and put my eyes on them I almost broke my arm getting the money out of my pocket...just a couple scratches on the bottom, thats it...I only paid $350 believe it or not

I'll take a pic of side of stand but they aren't factory, i had these all ready...

As far as pecking order goes, extremely rare, only bested by the towers or 910's...IMHO

From what I understand the tweets and mids are shared only with the 1230's, there aren't just the "biggest monitors" in the "80" line...my cousin has a set of 880's and they aren't even close...

“As far as pecking order goes, extremely rare, only bested by the towers or 910's...IMHO”

That’s what I would have thought based on what others had to say here about the 910 and towers, but there really isn’t that much said about the L980.

Guess I need to learn how to use the quote function.

Not much said, because they are rare. In my opinion, their mids and highs are just a bit better than my 910's, which have rebuilt mids and tweeters. The 980's are original. I can only attribute this to them being a newer improved design.
Also, the only ADS with a 12 inch woofer. The 910's will still beat them in the low end and have an overall bigger sound. Both are spectacular!
Glenn

So my L980's recently had tweeters, mids, and crossovers redone by the man, myth, legend Richard So....these will only be for sale when my ass is in the ground...

Beautiful!
Curious for your opinion, did you hear a big, or subtle improvement after the rebuild?
On my 910's, I could hear an improvement, a bit more airy, and detailed, but not an oh wow difference.
Cheers, Glenn

Not much said, because they are rare. In my opinion, their mids and highs are just a bit better than my 910's, which have rebuilt mids and tweeters. The 980's are original. I can only attribute this to them being a newer improved design.
Also, the only ADS with a 12 inch woofer. The 910's will still beat them in the low end and have an overall bigger sound. Both are spectacular!
Glenn

Well mine are now powered by an MC-2100 and they are really impressive with the SS power (versus the Fisher 500c). The bass output is very deep and clear. I’ve only had them on the 2100 since yesterday, but was able to crank them up for a couple of minutes today. They are super at high volume! Not something I do frequently, but wow!

Beautiful!
Curious for your opinion, did you hear a big, or subtle improvement after the rebuild?
On my 910's, I could hear an improvement, a bit more airy, and detailed, but not an oh wow difference.
Cheers, Glenn

2 things i've noticed since rebuild...bass is much better, cap was out of spec...they seem more alive, i know thats a weird way to put it but i had these for a while (2 years) same components driving them and sitting in the same spot so I could tell immediately.

i didn't expect an "oh wow" either, they were in nice shape to begin with...

Well mine are now powered by an MC-2100 and they are really impressive with the SS power (versus the Fisher 500c). The bass output is very deep and clear. I’ve only had them on the 2100 since yesterday, but was able to crank them up for a couple of minutes today. They are super at high volume! Not something I do frequently, but wow!

A little bit of high volume now and again is a good thing :)

I recommend you find a time that you can return the volume pot again toward the "high" position and open a the first track on Pat Metheny Group "The Road to You".

Appropriately, the title of the cut is "Have You Heard". This sounds amazing on my L810 and my L1230. Just crank it up and be prepared to hear what the low end can do.

As far as pecking order goes, extremely rare, only bested by the towers or 910's...IMHO

In terms of unit volume, relatively lots of L1230, L1290, & L1590 were made. L2030 likely fewest made next to those L910 & L980, & L1530 as a group.

Wish I'd been curious enough to go digging when I had access to that info to see what the exact build outs were.

Back
Top Bottom