A/D/S line pecking order?

Looks like I'M going to have to tear mine open and figure this out myself since NO ONE seems to have actually figured out the fix.
I contacted Mr. So and he was ,or seemed clueless to exactly what to do about the inductor in the M12

Looks like I'M going to have to tear mine open and figure this out myself since NO ONE seems to have actually figured out the fix.
I contacted Mr. So and he was ,or seemed clueless to exactly what to do about the inductor in the M12

Sorry moebuster, I read the problem, but admit I was clueless. Was following to see if anyone else could help. I can see where Richard would be a little reluctant to assist sight unseen. Not worth his risk or reputation if he gave you incorrect advice without seeing the crossovers himself.

Just for comparison, here's the M15 crossover I just pulled out. Believe it's the original early one, before the inductor upgrades. Mine not only sound muted, but all 4 woofers have a buzzing sound that doesn't appear to be caused by VC rubbing or anything similar (ie. they work fine in a different cabinet.) Like I mentioned just a few posts back.

D
20180924_022322.jpg 20180924_022344_HDR.jpg

looks like one of them is damaged...
The big coil? Yes, was that way when I opened the speaker, but only seems to have broke the edge off the plastic spool. Winding looks fine and think it might have even been installed like that, but no way to know. EDIT: Just realized the spools themselves are NOT plastic but are the "ferrite core bobbins" I'd read about. So the broken spool COULD be an issue, but since it's just the edge I worry about that after I rule out any other possible problems.
For future reference where did you get the replacement inductors?
Was that to me?? I haven't gotten to replacing the inductors yet, but was looking for information on it. Still trying to diagnose the 'buzzing' sound that I first thought was VC rubbing, but now think is a problem with the crossovers.

Last edited:
Danzilla, the other cab you tested them in are those ported?
I have a hunch, since the original enclosures are acoustic suspension there might be a leak in your woofers causing it to buzz when the air passes through. Try to pass a very bright light on the woofers if you can see any holes. Just a hunch.

Danzilla, the other cab you tested them in are those ported?
I have a hunch, since the original enclosures are acoustic suspension there might be a leak in your woofers causing it to buzz when the air passes through. Try to pass a very bright light on the woofers if you can see any holes. Just a hunch.
definitely need to be air tight...when you push in the woofer is should move back really slow...
That shouldn't be an issue because I removed the top woofer from each speaker for temporary repairs before testing and eventually removed all the other drivers so I could just hear one driver at a time. I am leaning back towards it being a surround problem now though for a couple reasons. I found two posts that mention the surrounds on the early M series tended to stiffen more than previous ones ADS had used (The ADS guy of course, @soundmotor. Below, for reference). One even mentioned the similar buzzing sound that seemed to be caused by the surrounds stiffening and possibly shrinking. Also, I realized when testing with the other cabinet I did so with it flat on it's back, so the orientation change might have been responsible for the improved performance. While I'm not still sure what's the cause, it will be easier and not too expensive to try replacing the surrounds before messing with these heavy duty crossovers.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-m12-speakers.216094/page-2#post-9028429

Last edited:
well, ok, but did you leave other drivers out while testing (now big hole in cab) again, they are designed to be in an airtight cab...

yeah, makes sense if the surrounds stiffen they won't flex in the way they are supposed to causing things to rub together the wrong way...sounds like they need a rebuild..

well, ok, but did you leave other drivers out while testing (now big hole in cab) again, they are designed to be in an airtight cab...

yeah, makes sense if the surrounds stiffen they won't flex in the way they are supposed to causing things to rub together the wrong way...sounds like they need a rebuild..
Just a followup. Have replaced the first two surrounds and was able to test the speakers last night, though not yet fully sealed. I'm happy to say it sounded fine, so far. (still have to finish 2nd two surrounds for other speaker.) So while the crossover may still be problematic and become saturated at higher volumes (I'm still not sure), the stiffened and possibly shrunken rubber surrounds (problem unique to early M series) were what was causing most of my problems after all.

image.jpeg image.jpeg FOK. Latest acquisition. 8 L470s, including 4 originals and 4 /2s. All fully functional except 1 woofer. Rubbing voice coil from what looked like a fall as one lower corner of the cabinet was a bit buggered. Yesterday, before pulling it for the trash can I decided to give it a closer look and discovered the surround had completely separated from the frame intact. There was light rust where the surround had been attached. I removed what I could of it and attempted to remount the surround. After several attempts (3) I finally got it stable and it's now sounding like it's supposed to. Yay!

I did notice when trying to stack them that the 470/2s cabinets are about 3/8" taller than the 470s, yet they use the same grilles. The cabinet seems a bit thicker on the /2s. The originals also have a black band around the front of the cabinet that the /2s don't have, and the 470s have spring loaded wire connectors and fuses while the /2s have banana connectors and no fuses.

Anyone know why the changes were made?

View attachment 1318122 View attachment 1318123 Oh, and the vinyl wrap is separating on the bottom of one of them. Any recommendations how to repair it?
Smush some Aileen's tacky glue in there, spread it around with a flat blade screw driver, Run your fingers back and forth pushing the lifted vinyl down so it get a nice film of glue on it. Let it sit a bit to become a bit tacky, then burnish down again. Keep a damp paper towel handy to wipe away any glue that may squeeze out and wipe it away. Put some wax paper over the area, and tape it all down to keep the vinyl flat while drying.

Smush some Aileen's tacky glue in there, spread it around with a flat blade screw driver, Run your fingers back and forth pushing the lifted vinyl down so it get a nice film of glue on it. Let it sit a bit to become a bit tacky, then burnish down again. Keep a damp paper towel handy to wipe away any glue that may squeeze out and wipe it away. Put some wax paper over the area, and tape it all down to keep the vinyl flat while drying.

Thanks very much. I'll give it a go.

A recent set of 570/II I picked up had the same separated woofer from the frame and what looked like rust. Must be a flaw with the glue or something ADS used. I did the same repair. Was pretty easy. These 570/II have real wood veneer.

This seems like a general ADS thread so here's a new question for your consideration - have some ADS L1 with *very* rough cabinets. And they're black so no way to clean em up with wax or whatnot. Some water damage/bubbling, etc. Don't think i'll keep em - thinking I will pull the drivers out and maybe sell 'em. Only holdup is I think the B1s are somewhat rare. I would take a loss on selling 'em if it was worthwhile to keep 'em together for some reason. Opinions?

This seems like a general ADS thread so here's a new question for your consideration - have some ADS L1 with *very* rough cabinets. And they're black so no way to clean em up with wax or whatnot. Some water damage/bubbling, etc. Don't think i'll keep em - thinking I will pull the drivers out and maybe sell 'em. Only holdup is I think the B1s are somewhat rare. I would take a loss on selling 'em if it was worthwhile to keep 'em together for some reason. Opinions?
Found this older fleabay listing. They seem to be very rare, so I would not part them out, but rather fix them up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADS-L1-Spe...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Back
Top Bottom