a/d/s/ PA4 power amp

willhowl

Howdy,ya'll. Today I found the above (ads PA4) at a thrift. It is a heavy mutha'.
I could only power up so far-no source, no speaks(yet). It lights up, no sparks, no magic smoke.:D
Okay, I can and will check DC offset,and test for sound,just not tonight.Now,I'm hoping some kind soul here can direct me to info on this bad boy. ads, PA4, don't work well as search terms-lots of unrelated junk pops up.
I have a pair of ads L420 speaks(nice) but didn't know about any electronic components by this concern.
This thing is 17.5 " W,14"D,1.5" high(1 rack space)-no rack ears. 6' diameter toroid,10k mfd caps(?) looks like 12 output devices X2, plenty thin curvy heat sink fins. Input power,700W.Bridgeable output W/switch, 2 speaker outs (sp1, sp2).Hope to find output specs, reviews, the usual. Found one hit on google-some audiophool hi-end store selling one. No hard data. The thrift also had TWO a/d/s/ R4 receivers- little shakey on those,need more info.Any help appreciated. I'll probably flip this- plan to go on AK classifieds if it proves to be healthy-then eBarf if no interest here.
It really is a nice,pretty darn clean,solid unit-hope it works! Thanks all,willhowl:thmbsp:ps. audio consultants is the google hit mentioned above.

Last edited:
No pix- No pix!

OK Sleeper Supra-ya got me! I'll try to get pix tomorra'
My roommate's blocking my abilities yet again-long story:boring::boring:
Not much visually anyway (the amp,AND my roomie:yes:)
One's a black box-one's a black hole......willhowl

Howdy,ya'll. Today I found the above (ads PA4) at a thrift. It is a heavy mutha'.
I could only power up so far-no source, no speaks(yet). It lights up, no sparks, no magic smoke.:D
Okay, I can and will check DC offset,and test for sound,just not tonight.Now,I'm hoping some kind soul here can direct me to info on this bad boy. ads, PA4, don't work well as search terms-lots of unrelated junk pops up.
I have a pair of ads L420 speaks(nice) but didn't know about any electronic components by this concern.
This thing is 17.5 " W,14"D,1.5" high(1 rack space)-no rack ears. 6' diameter toroid,10k mfd caps(?) looks like 12 output devices X2, plenty thin curvy heat sink fins. Input power,700W.Bridgeable output W/switch, 2 speaker outs (sp1, sp2).Hope to find output specs, reviews, the usual. Found one hit on google-some audiophool hi-end store selling one. No hard data. The thrift also had TWO a/d/s/ R4 receivers- little shakey on those,need more info.Any help appreciated. I'll probably flip this- plan to go on AK classifieds if it proves to be healthy-then eBarf if no interest here.
It really is a nice,pretty darn clean,solid unit-hope it works! Thanks all,willhowl:thmbsp:ps. audio consultants is the google hit mentioned above.
Orion says:
ADS PA-4:
1987 pwr amplifier
150wpc bridgeable/10 power transistors
New MSRP: $1200.00
Used: $328.00
Whlsale: $182/$101

The R4's???
New MSRP: $1400.00

I would run back there and get them first thing in the morning!
And then, ship them to ME!!!!!!
My pair of L420's, would look better alongside that R4 than yours, because I have the metal grills!!!!!:D

Damn, I'm jealous!!!!!

a/d/s/ shock

Thanks, St.Johnny! Good info, and a real dilemma have come my way. I am cash poor right now, so a quick flip could really help out.But, I don't need any more doorstops! I don't know if these things are functional or not.I couldn't put any cash into even minimal repair.What to do? I talked to a buddy(local) who has bucks, and needs an amp.Maybe we could work a deal....
Anyway, I tried to get pix-roomie crashed,leaving the studio,er living room clear. The pix suck,I must borrow a better camera to do ANY justice to this stuff.
I will be updating this thread as the worm turns...stay tuned...willhowl

Attachments

• Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 105
I think that is a great score and worth the time and effort (& money) to get playing.
I'd grab the speakers, too :yes:

a/d/s/ non-score

Back once again with today's update.Some points must be clarified.
A. For Bully- I already have the L420 speaks. No ads speaks at store.
B.The R4 receivers- I returned to store today. The better(of two) unit was gone. The other,which had a bad hinge on the fold-out panel containing tone controls,etc, was still there. It lit up,but I couldn't get any output thru a supremely crappy boom-box speaker(in-store test unit).The tape monitor2 was engaged,I couldn't get it to release.This is a "digital"unit-no knobs or mechanical buttons. Only push-on, push-off electronic buttons.All functions but tape2, and output seemed to work. I left it there:no:I just can't buy risky goods right now.
C. Still have not tested the PA4 amp yet. I feel good about this one,though.:yes:
Conclusion: Not sure of fate of PA4.Must test,and my buddy may get this amp anyway. He's GIVEN me a bunch of stuff over the last couple of years.I should sell some of it,really. It's not bad stuff, a couple Yamaha pieces,a couple Nakamichi cassettes(no Dragons,though).:tears:
Time marches on,and will tell its tales....or something. Yours in confusion,willhowl

The a/d/s Atelier Series is some nice gear. You can also find some more information by searching for the brand Braun with the same model #s...that's how it was known in Europe

I've owned several of the a/d/s models over the years, (Still have a T2 tuner and one of the slide-out drawer cassette decks) and have always been impressed. Nice gear.

Have fun!

Still looking- PA4 info

Thanks, wajobu,and redcoates7, for your input. I hadn't thought of the Braun connection in this context. A quickie search didn't reveal much,will dig deep later.
No progress on testing the PA4, work keeps getting in the way,%$#@*(&^!@ it!!
I shall continue and return, willhowl.:yes:

Pa4-yesss!

As you may be able to guess, the amp is functional. Sang its little heart out for 30-45 minutes on a pair of JBL 2600 mated with a passive RS 12" sub. I figgered if the amp cratered, it would only kill the sub(maybe). I did check DC offset on my mini DMM. On the 2000mV scale it showed 5.1. On 200 V scale,no reading at all.I better bone up on this stuff to make sure I have it right.
Anyway, I have lucked out once again:banana:Still unsure of this amp's fate-will talk to my buddy tonight.He needs a large amp,so...I dunno.
If I told the price paid for this thing, two things a-happening.
#! Moved to Dollars&Sense
#2 A large mob of torch and pitchfork waving AKers would be storming my castle,er hovel.
My score rate at Thrifts, Garage Sales,& Pawns is really quite low considering frequency of visits...honestly!Later,willhowl

I love that series of equipment, which is why i have a CD3, a C4, T2, R1, and 2 R4s. I have yet to track down a PA4 or the standalone preamp, but i'm holding out hope that I will. Congrats on an excellent find. Oh, I also REALLY want the turntable. :)

BTW, i may be interested in the crappier R4 as a parts unit if its still there.

I love that series of equipment, which is why i have a CD3, a C4, T2, R1, and 2 R4s. I have yet to track down a PA4 or the standalone preamp, but i'm holding out hope that I will. Congrats on an excellent find. Oh, I also REALLY want the turntable. :)

BTW, i may be interested in the crappier R4 as a parts unit if its still there.

I like the Atelier series as well. Enough to have multiples of each piece. The CC4 standalone preamp/tuner is pretty much the same as the R4 reciever less the amp. They look identical and have the same interface and controls.

I won't tell ya about the two P4 'tables and the P2 'table that are here. :D

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom