A day on the railroad

There is one neat thing about trains. When we decided to take Amtrak to our Son's wedding in Aspen (actually Glenwood Springs since the train does not go to Aspen) we saw quite a lot of the country. Try getting this view from 30,000 feet up.

Rob

Kam:

The next time you're in town, you should check out the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. They have a huge Allegheny steam locomotive, plus lots of autos (Kennedy's Lincoln), airplanes, motors, etc.

Here's a link to the locomotive, but you can bounce around to other areas via the links within:

Allegheny Locomotive

BTW, when I did my backpack about Europe thing in 1984, I travelled extensively via train with my Eurailpass. Friggin' unbelievable scenery there. The Alps, Greece, Portrugal, France, etc, simply fascinating staring out the windows. And the stations aren't any slouches either!

My son Loves the trains at GF village !

One of the guys I met at car cruises around town works at the Roundhouse at Greenfield.

I recall seeing an ad in some magazine at least 15 years ago in which GF was offereing for sale the replica of the train that Thomas Edison used to sell his wares on as a kid. Does anyone know about this? Did they indeed sell it? I just can't figure out why they would even consider doing so.....what with Henry's slavelike adoration of Edison it sounds like a slap in his (Ford's) face.

Anthony

I am also a railfan...

Spencer, North Carolina - the Old Train Love-In. Man, I was using my favorite antique cameras and taking pictures of my favorite old iron. Can you say 'sporting wood?'

Re: I am also a railfan...

Originally posted by Wigwam Jones
Spencer, North Carolina - the Old Train Love-In.

Spencer, eh? Do you know anything about the old Baldwin ex-NYC "X"Plorer aka Train X that found it's way down to a N.C. tourist line in the late 60's?

I have a photo of it somewhere in a book on the B-L-H diesels sitting on a siding.........can't find it at the moment. The name of the tourist railroad is listed and will post it once I find this (unless you already know what I'm talking about). Am wondering if it got scrapped, rebuilt, or is just a stationary display. Thanks

Anthony (LIRR and C&NW are my flavorites)

Re: Re: I am also a railfan...

Originally posted by heathkit tv
Spencer, eh? Do you know anything about the old Baldwin ex-NYC "X"Plorer aka Train X that found it's way down to a N.C. tourist line in the late 60's?

I have a photo of it somewhere in a book on the B-L-H diesels sitting on a siding.........can't find it at the moment. The name of the tourist railroad is listed and will post it once I find this (unless you already know what I'm talking about). Am wondering if it got scrapped, rebuilt, or is just a stationary display. Thanks

Anthony (LIRR and C&NW are my flavorites)

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Baldwin train that came to NC - I'm a new transplant. I went to the annual Spencer 'Train Days' show (more at this URL)

North Carolina Museum of Transportation

However, I recently visited Kenosha, Wisconsin - found that they have built up a trolley car line made up of restored trolleys from other cities from around the nation. Here's a shot:

Not that anyone probably particularly cares but I dug up that book which mentions the tourist line I spoke of in an earlier post.

It was the Greenville and Northern at Traveler's Rest South Carolina circa 1969. Couldn't find anything about them on the web so am hoping some locals could fill me in on any details. This is noted on page 69 of the softcover book "Diesels From Eddystone: The Story of Baldwin Diesel Locomotives" (lower right hand corner)

To recap, the loco in question is ex-NYC RP-210 #20 Thanks!

Anthony

Great Pics & stories, guys !! My choo-choo story is about Tweetsie Railroad, now a tourist attraction over in Boone, NC, but my mom remembers when it was actually used as a line in western North Carolina & NE Tennessee. It was narrow guage, & when the line went under in the '50s, I guess, a couple of entrepreneurs bought most of the rolling stock & turned it into a theme park. Quite successful, too- if any of you have ever been to Beech Mtn, & skied there, it was originally developed back in the late '60s w/money generated by Tweetsie. I remember going to Tweetsie several times when I was a snot-nosed kid, & always had a big time. I got a cinder in my eye one time, & the old conductor was on me in about 2 seconds getting it out. He looked to be 150-probly been doing that for years. -Sandy G.

IIRC the Tweetsie was sold lock stock and barrel in one giant lot.....it was essentially a turn key deal unlike 99.9% of these sorts of liquidations.

Anthony

Anthony-Coulda been. The fellows I remember being the ramrods behind it were Harry, Grover, & Spencer Robbins.We had a house at another one of their creations-Hound Ears lodge & Golf Club-GORGEOUS place-& everybody knew they got their money from Tweetsie. They were sorta local "typhoons" around Boone in those days. Beech Mtn about did 'em in-it opened up in like 1969-70 & there was a mild recession going on & they didn't do as well as they thought they were gonna do. They also had a resort develpoment going down in the Carribean, & it got hit by the same problems as Beech mtn did. Beech mtn obviously recovered, but I think the Robbins brothers might have lost control of it. Don't know fer sure-that's going back a ways, & by then my young butt had been shipped off to boarding school,& we'd sold our house over there. -Sandy G.

Back
Top Bottom